Fourier expansion between two different intervals

In summary, Fourier expansion between two different intervals is a mathematical technique used to represent a periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is important because it allows for the approximation of complex functions and has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. To calculate Fourier expansion, the Fourier series formula is used to find coefficients of the trigonometric terms. However, it may not accurately represent non-periodic functions and the accuracy depends on the number of terms used.
LASmith

Homework Statement

f(x) = x+1 for -1,x<0
x-1 for 0<x<1
0 for x=0

expand it in an appropriate cosine or sine series

Homework Equations

f(x) = a0/2 + [itex]\sum[/itex] [ancos (n[itex]\pi[/itex]x/p) + bn sin (n[itex]\pi[/itex]x/p)

a0 = 1/p [itex]\int[/itex]f(x).dx

an = 1/p [itex]\int[/itex] f(x)cos (n[itex]\pi[/itex]x/p).dx

bn = 1/p [itex]\int[/itex] f(x)sin (n[itex]\pi[/itex]x/p).dx

The Attempt at a Solution

As there are two functions within this f(x), I am unsure of how to go ahead and do this.
I realize the overall function is odd, therefore would only need to expand the bn part of the Fourier series, however the individual functions are not odd.
How would I go about setting this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to break the integrals into two parts. The first will integrate x+1 from -1 to 0, the second will integrate x-1 from 0 to 1.

[tex]\int_{-1}^1 f(x)dx= \int_{-1}^0 f(x)dx+ \int_0^1 f(x)dx[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\int_{-1}^1 f(x)dx= \int_{-1}^0 f(x)dx+ \int_0^1 f(x)dx[/tex]

Can this only be done the long winded way of calculating a0, an and bn for each equation, therefore doing 6 integrals? Or will some cancel for being odd/even functions, which I cannot see at first glance?

Also would the value of 'p' in my 'relevant equations' be -1 for x+1 and 1 for x-1?

LASmith said:
Can this only be done the long winded way of calculating a0, an and bn for each equation, therefore doing 6 integrals? Or will some cancel for being odd/even functions, which I cannot see at first glance?
In a sense, you always have to calculate an and bn. It's just that if you have an even or odd function, you can sometimes use tricks to simplify or avoid lengthy calculations. When you have an odd integrand O(x) and a symmetric interval [-a,a], you know that[tex]\int_{-a}^a O(x)\,dx = 0[/tex](You should be able to prove this.) If you have an even integrand E(x), you can say[tex]\int_{-a}^a E(x)\,dx = 2\int_{0}^a E(x)\,dx[/tex](Again, you should be able to prove this.)

In this problem, you want to write down the integrals for an and bn, take a look at the integrands, and see if either of the above apply. If they do, you can use them to simplify evaluating the integrals for an and bn.
Also would the value of 'p' in my 'relevant equations' be -1 for x+1 and 1 for x-1?
You need to understand what the quantities that appear in a formula represent otherwise you're just guessing. So what does p represent in these formulas?

vela said:
You need to understand what the quantities that appear in a formula represent otherwise you're just guessing. So what does p represent in these formulas?

I thought p represented the value for which we integrate between, as all the examples so far have been where the limit is between p and -p, however, because these functions are between -1 and 0 & 0 and 1, I would presume it was the non-zero number, although I do not understand where the 1/p at the beginning of each integral comes from, so I guess that is where my miss-understanding occurs.

The function f(x) defined on the interval [-1,1]. That's what determines what p is equal to. How f(x) is actually defined, in this case, piecewise, has nothing to do with p.

vela said:
The function f(x) defined on the interval [-1,1]. That's what determines what p is equal to. How f(x) is actually defined, in this case, piecewise, has nothing to do with p.

Therefore p will be 1 for both parts of the function, regardless of where the two parts of the function lie, between this interval?

Yup. Take a0 for example. You get
\begin{align*}
a_0 &= \frac{1}{p}\int_{-p}^p f(x)\,dx \\
&= \frac{1}{1}\int_{-1}^1 f(x)\,dx \\
&= \int_{-1}^1 f(x)\,dx
\end{align*}
because a single period is over [-1,1]. Now when you substitute in for f(x), you would split the integral up because of the two pieces to get
\begin{align*}
a_0 &= \int_{-1}^1 f(x)\,dx \\
&= \int_{-1}^0 f(x)\,dx + \int_{0}^1 f(x)\,dx \\
&= \int_{-1}^0 (x+1)\,dx + \int_{0}^1 (x-1)\,dx
\end{align*}
Note that this isn't necessarily the way you'd calculate a0 since you're not taking advantage of the oddness of f(x). It was just to show that p doesn't depend on the fact that f(x) is made out of two or more pieces.

Related to Fourier expansion between two different intervals

1. What is Fourier expansion between two different intervals?

Fourier expansion between two different intervals is a mathematical technique used to represent a periodic function as a combination of sine and cosine functions. The function is expanded into a series of these trigonometric functions, with coefficients that depend on the frequency and amplitude of the original function.

2. Why is Fourier expansion between two different intervals important?

Fourier expansion is important because it allows us to approximate a complex periodic function with a simpler combination of sine and cosine functions. This simplification can make it easier to analyze and manipulate the function, and can also be used for applications such as signal processing and data compression.

3. How is Fourier expansion between two different intervals calculated?

To calculate Fourier expansion between two different intervals, we use the Fourier series formula which involves finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms. These coefficients are then used to construct the expanded function, which can be used to approximate the original function over the given intervals.

4. What are the applications of Fourier expansion between two different intervals?

Fourier expansion has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to analyze and model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in image processing, data compression, and signal analysis.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Fourier expansion between two different intervals?

One limitation of Fourier expansion is that it is only accurate for functions that are periodic over the given intervals. It may not accurately represent functions that are not periodic or have discontinuities. Additionally, the accuracy of the expansion depends on the number of terms used, so a larger number of terms is needed for more complex functions.