Frame and Machine (engineering mechanics statics)

In summary, the conversation is about a question on how to draw a free body diagram. The person is struggling with the question and is asked to provide two FBDs for the pulley and the rigid frame. The expert also reminds the person to include all forces in the FBD and asks for clarification on why they are struggling with this specific question. The expert also asks if the person has done similar problems before. The expert then reminds the person to upload the FBDs for further assistance.
jay_chay22
Homework Statement
Frame and Machine ( engineering mechanics statics )
Relevant Equations
Free body diagram
pic ss.png

pic s.png

I have problem on this question on how to draw free body diagram. Can you please show me on how to draw free body diagram on this question ?
The calculation part I think I do not have a problem with it.

Thank you in advance ! I am really struggle with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start with two FBDs. One for the pulley at B, and the other for the rigid frame that connects A-B-C.

Can you take a first cut at those two FBDs and then say what the next steps in the solution procedure would be?

Likes Dr.D
berkeman said:
I'd start with two FBDs. One for the pulley at B, and the other for the rigid frame that connects A-B-C.

Can you take a first cut at those two FBDs and then say what the next steps in the solution procedure would be?
I already did but I don't know that I am right or not

jay_chay22 said:
I already did but I don't know that I am right or not
Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload PDF or JPEG images of your FBDs. If they are photographs of your work, please be sure they are clear and readable and rightside-up (no sideways images please). Thank you.

Remember that a CORRECT FBD includes ALL of the forces on the body. Omitting one or more forces is a very common error.

jay_chay22 said:
I have problem on this question on how to draw free body diagram.
... I am really struggle with this question.
Welcome, jay_chay22! :cool:
Why are you struggling with this specific question?
Have you done other problems involving free body diagrams?

We still need to see 3 FBDs, one for the pulley and one for each link. Until that is done, there can be little help.

1. What is the difference between a frame and a machine in engineering mechanics statics?

A frame is a structure that is designed to support loads and resist forces in a stationary position, while a machine is a device that uses energy to perform a specific task. In engineering mechanics statics, frames are analyzed using the principles of static equilibrium, while machines are analyzed using the principles of dynamics.

2. How do you determine the forces acting on a frame or machine in engineering mechanics statics?

The forces acting on a frame or machine can be determined by drawing a free body diagram, which shows all the external forces acting on the object. These forces can then be analyzed using the principles of static equilibrium or dynamics to find the unknown forces and reactions.

3. What are some common types of frames and machines in engineering mechanics statics?

Some common types of frames include trusses, beams, and arches, while common types of machines include pulleys, levers, and gears. These structures and devices are used in a variety of applications, such as building construction, transportation, and manufacturing.

4. How does the concept of center of gravity apply to frames and machines in engineering mechanics statics?

The center of gravity is an important concept in engineering mechanics statics, as it represents the point at which the weight of an object can be considered to act. In frames and machines, the location of the center of gravity can affect the stability and balance of the structure or device.

5. What are some real-world examples of frames and machines that can be analyzed using engineering mechanics statics?

Frames and machines can be found in many everyday objects and structures. Some examples include bridges, cranes, bicycles, and even the human body. These objects and structures can be analyzed using the principles of engineering mechanics statics to ensure they are safe and functional.