Framework Problem: Constructing Engine Mount for Airplane

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving creating a framework for an engine mount connecting an airplane with an engine. The project involves both calculations by hand and with CAD, with the hand calculations causing some problems due to the exclusion of the top and bottom diagonals. The suggestion is to divide the frames and calculate the forces on one pair, taking into account symmetry. The project also involves two different forces affecting the framework, mg and thrust force. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of 3-dimensional calculations, with the suggestion to do independent analyses on different sections of the frame structure.
MECHIS
Hi!
I'm currently doing a project where I'm constructing a framework for an engine mount connecting an airplane with an engine. The project involves both calculations by hand and with CAD(Creo), and i have no problem with the CAD part as i have done the simulations.
The part with doing calculations by hand have caused some problems where I'm doing the calculations in 3-D, and its causing some problems.
The top and bottom diagonals are not to be considered in the calculation by hand. Therefore you have 6 symmetrical beams.
So far what I have done in the calculations is that I've created a equation system with help of directional cosines which seems to get me the wrong answers. So I'm looking for some help in creating the equations system for this problem.

Attachments

• beams1-8.png
    beams1-8.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 431
  • beams1-8.png
    beams1-8.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 428
  • coordinatesxyz.png
    coordinatesxyz.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 456
Engineering news on Phys.org
upload_2017-5-3_22-48-55.png

I don't understand .

If you take the top and bottom diagonals away then you just have two independent frames .

The three components of anyone of the frames are all in the same plane . For any likely system of loads and fixations the analysis is trivial ?

Nidum said:
View attachment 198290

I don't understand .

If you take the top and bottom diagonals away then you just have two independent frames .

The three components of anyone of the frames are all in the same plane . For any likely system of loads and fixations the analysis is trivial ?

Thanks for the answer Nidium! So what you're suggesting is that we divide the two frames and calculate the forces on one of the pairs, then suggest symmetry?

I also forgot to mention that we have two different forces affecting the framework, one is mg and one is thrust force.

We can't seem to get this right on account of having little knowledge in 3-dimensional calculations.

Attachments

• coordinatesv2.PNG
    coordinatesv2.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 413
If you are trying to create a composite equation including all elements and loads then you are making the problem more difficult than it needs to be. You would be better off to simply do independent analyses on the different frame structure sections. By transferring the thrust load and the lateral force moment to the back plate then analyzing those loads independently and summing those results the analysis should be straight forward. Since mg is still a force load its components should be able to be combined with static lateral and thrust loads.

1. What is the purpose of an engine mount for an airplane?

The engine mount is a structural component that connects the aircraft's engine to the airframe. Its main purpose is to support the weight of the engine and transmit its thrust to the airframe during flight.

2. How is the engine mount designed and constructed?

The engine mount is designed and constructed using specialized computer-aided design (CAD) software and engineering principles. The material used for the mount must be strong enough to withstand the weight and thrust of the engine, yet light enough to not add unnecessary weight to the aircraft. The design must also consider factors such as aerodynamics, vibration control, and heat dissipation.

3. What are some common challenges in constructing an engine mount for an airplane?

One of the main challenges is finding the right balance between strength and weight. The mount must be able to support the heavy engine, but adding too much weight can affect the aircraft's performance. Another challenge is ensuring proper vibration control, as the engine produces a lot of vibrations that can impact the structural integrity of the mount and the aircraft.

4. How do engineers test the engine mount's strength and durability?

Engineers use a variety of testing methods, including computer simulations and physical testing. Computer simulations allow for virtual testing of different designs and materials, while physical testing involves subjecting the mount to extreme conditions and measuring its response. These tests help ensure that the engine mount can withstand the forces and stresses it will experience during flight.

5. Can an engine mount be repaired or replaced?

In some cases, an engine mount can be repaired if it has suffered minor damage. However, if the mount is significantly damaged or worn out, it will need to be replaced. This is typically a complex and expensive process, as the mount is a critical component of the aircraft's structure and must be precisely installed and integrated with other systems.