Fraunhofer diffraction, multiple slits

In summary, the relation between the major maximum at the center and the next maximum in a system of 5 slits is:I = I0 * (2sin^2(gamma)-2sin^2(5gamma))/(2sin^2(gamma)-2sin^2(gamma))
zimo

Homework Statement

A system consisting of 5-slit (completely identical) that the distance between their centres, d, is four times the width of a slit, b.

Calculate the relation between the major maximum at the center and the next maximum (can be given that position of the maximum is between the two minima)

Homework Equations

I = E0^2(sin^2(beta)/beta^2)*(sin^2(5gamma)/sin^2(gamma))

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried some stuff with finding out the two minima and receiving 3(lambda)/2b but then when placing it inside the equation I couldn't continue.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The relation between the major maximum at the center and the next maximum in a system of 5 slits can be calculated using the following formula:

I = I0sin^2(theta)/theta^2 * sin^2(Ngamma)/sin^2(gamma)

Where:
I = intensity of the light at a given point
I0 = maximum intensity at the center of the pattern
theta = angle between the center of the pattern and the point of measurement
N = number of slits
gamma = phase difference between adjacent slits

In this case, N = 5 and gamma = 2pi*d/lambda = 8pi*b/lambda, where d is the distance between the centers of the slits and lambda is the wavelength of the light.

To find the relation between the major maximum at the center and the next maximum, we can set theta = pi/2 (since the maximum is between two minima) and N = 2, as we are interested in the next maximum. This gives us the following equation:

I = I0 * sin^2(5gamma)/sin^2(gamma)

To simplify this equation, we can use the trigonometric identity sin^2x = (1-cos2x)/2. Plugging this in, we get:

I = I0 * (1-cos10gamma)/(1-cos2gamma)

Next, we can use the double angle formula cos2x = 1-2sin^2x to further simplify the equation:

I = I0 * (1-(1-2sin^2(5gamma)))/(1-(1-2sin^2(gamma)))

Simplifying further, we get:

I = I0 * (2sin^2(gamma)-2sin^2(5gamma))/(2sin^2(gamma)-2sin^2(gamma))

Finally, using the trigonometric identity sin^2x = (1-cos2x)/2 again, we get:

I = I0 * (2(1-cos2gamma)-2(1-cos10gamma))/(2(1-cos2gamma)-2(1-cos2gamma))

Simplifying, we get:

I = I0 * (cos2gamma-cos10gamma)/(cos2gamma-cos2gamma)

And finally, using the double angle formula cos2x

1. What is Fraunhofer diffraction?

Fraunhofer diffraction is a phenomenon in which light waves passing through a small aperture or around an obstacle spread out and create a pattern of bright and dark fringes. This occurs in the far-field region, where the distance between the aperture and the observation point is large compared to the size of the aperture.

2. What is the difference between Fraunhofer and Fresnel diffraction?

The main difference between Fraunhofer and Fresnel diffraction is the distance between the aperture and the observation point. In Fraunhofer diffraction, this distance is large, whereas in Fresnel diffraction, it is small. This leads to different mathematical equations and different patterns of diffraction.

3. How many slits are needed for multiple slit diffraction?

Multiple slit diffraction, also known as Young's double-slit experiment, requires a minimum of two slits to create an interference pattern. However, typically more than two slits are used to create a more complex and defined pattern.

4. What factors affect the diffraction pattern in multiple slit experiments?

The factors that affect the diffraction pattern in multiple slit experiments include the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the observation point. The number of slits and their widths can also affect the pattern.

5. How is multiple slit diffraction used in practical applications?

Multiple slit diffraction is commonly used in various optical devices, such as spectrophotometers, to analyze the properties of light. It is also used in the production of holograms and in optical communication systems. Additionally, it is used in research to study the properties of light and to understand the nature of diffraction.