Friction problem: finding the Fnet first

• Thread starter MirrorPhy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: I really appreciate it.In summary, a 25 kg box with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.18 is being pushed across the floor by a constant force of ‹ 100, 0, 0 › N. At t = 7.0 s, the box is at location ‹ 11, 4, −3 › m, traveling with a velocity of ‹ 6, 0, 0 › m/s. Using the momentum principle and position update formula, the final velocity and position of the box at t = 8.5 s were calculated to be (9.354, 0, 0) m/s and (25.03, 4, -3) m
MirrorPhy

Homework Statement

A 25 kg box is being pushed across the floor by a constant force ‹ 100, 0, 0 › N. The coefficient of kinetic friction for the table and box is 0.18. At t = 7.0 s the box is at location ‹ 11, 4, −3 › m, traveling with velocity ‹ 6, 0, 0 › m/s. What is its velocity and position at t = 8.5 s?

Homework Equations

deltaP= Fnet(deltat)

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor gave us a hint that once we find the the fnet, then we can use the momentum principle and the position update formula to find the velocity and the position. So my problem is how to find the fnet.

The method that I tried to find the fnet is: 100-(25*0.18*9.8)= 55.9

Well, there is another method (25*9.8) + (.18*100) = 263

Is one of them correct? (I can see that the difference between these two numbers are pretty large)

Once I find the fnet, then I can use the momentum principle, which is Pf=Pi + fnet(delta t) to find the final momentum. Then from there, find the final velocity.
Pi = 150
delta t = 8.5-7= 1.5

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MirrorPhy said:

Homework Statement

A 25 kg box is being pushed across the floor by a constant force ‹ 100, 0, 0 › N. The coefficient of kinetic friction for the table and box is 0.18. At t = 7.0 s the box is at location ‹ 11, 4, −3 › m, traveling with velocity ‹ 6, 0, 0 › m/s. What is its velocity and position at t = 8.5 s?

Homework Equations

deltaP= Fnet(deltat)

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor gave us a hint that once we find the the fnet, then we can use the momentum principle and the position update formula to find the velocity and the position. So my problem is how to find the fnet.

The method that I tried to find the fnet is: 100-(25*0.18*9.8)= 55.9

Well, there is another method (25*9.8) + (.18*100) = 263

Is one of them correct? (I can see that the difference between these two numbers are pretty large)

Once I find the fnet, then I can use the momentum principle, which is Pf=Pi + fnet(delta t) to find the final momentum. Then from there, find the final velocity.
Pi = 150
delta t = 8.5-7= 1.5

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Not sure what your second method is all about, but the first one looks appropriate.

Well, I tried the answer I got from the first method and it was wrong.

So I used the number 55.9 as fnet.

Momentum principle: Pf= Pi + Fnet*delta t
Pi = m*vi
pi = 25 * 6 = 150
Pf = 150 + 55.9(1.5)
Pf= 233.85

Now to find the final velocity
Pf=Vf*m
Vf= 233.85/25 = 9.354

So for the final velocity vector, it would be ( 9.354, 0,0)m/s

However, that answer is wrong. Any help would be much appreciated!

MirrorPhy said:
Well, I tried the answer I got from the first method and it was wrong.

So I used the number 55.9 as fnet.

Momentum principle: Pf= Pi + Fnet*delta t
Pi = m*vi
pi = 25 * 6 = 150
Pf = 150 + 55.9(1.5)
Pf= 233.85

Now to find the final velocity
Pf=Vf*m
Vf= 233.85/25 = 9.354

So for the final velocity vector, it would be ( 9.354, 0,0)m/s

However, that answer is wrong. Any help would be much appreciated!

I would be happy with that answer for V. You didn't enter that as the position by any chance did you?

Do you interpret the 3 digits as an i, j, k arrangement. In which case I found it intriguing that for the displacement at the 7 second mark, k was -3 ; so presumably the floor was below the origin?

I assume you wrote out the question correctly?

Well, I double checked everything. I copied and pasted the question, so that's definitely right. And I did enter (9.354, 0, 0) as the new velocity. And then I used that new velocity to find the new position which I got was (25.03, 4,-3). And that's wrong too.

The way I did to find the final position was ( the change is only is the x component)
Rf = Ri + Vf(delta t)
Rf= 11 + 9.354(1.5)
Rf = 25.03

What I am not sure is if I got the Fnet right. According to my professor, I am giving one of the two forces that made up the Fnet, and I need to calculate the other force. This is where I am lost.

The first method that i used to find the fnet, a friend told to do that. I am not sure if that's right or not.

Any pointer would be much appreciated?

MirrorPhy said:
Well, I double checked everything. I copied and pasted the question, so that's definitely right. And I did enter (9.354, 0, 0) as the new velocity. And then I used that new velocity to find the new position which I got was (25.03, 4,-3). And that's wrong too.

The way I did to find the final position was ( the change is only is the x component)
Rf = Ri + Vf(delta t)
Rf= 11 + 9.354(1.5)
Rf = 25.03

What I am not sure is if I got the Fnet right. According to my professor, I am giving one of the two forces that made up the Fnet, and I need to calculate the other force. This is where I am lost.

The first method that i used to find the fnet, a friend told to do that. I am not sure if that's right or not.

Any pointer would be much appreciated?

A 25 kg box is being pushed across the floor by a constant force ‹ 100, 0, 0 › N. The coefficient of kinetic friction for the table and box is 0.18.

I copied the first line from your original post.
When did the floor disappear and a table come into it??

Hahah, I didn't notice that. I think it was either a silly typo by my professor or a ninja made the switch. I will ask my professor about that tomorrow. I think I did everything correctly. Not sure what went wrong. Well, anyways, thank you very much for your assistance.

What is the definition of "Friction problem"?

Friction problem refers to a type of physics problem that involves finding the net force (Fnet) acting on an object due to the presence of friction. It requires the application of Newton's laws of motion and the calculation of various forces to determine the Fnet.

Why is it important to find the Fnet first in a friction problem?

Finding the Fnet first is important because it allows us to determine the overall motion of an object. The Fnet represents the total force acting on an object, which determines its acceleration. In friction problems, the presence of friction can significantly affect the Fnet and therefore the motion of the object.

What are the key factors that affect the calculation of Fnet in a friction problem?

The key factors that affect the calculation of Fnet in a friction problem are the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the applied force. The coefficient of friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces, the normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object, and the applied force is the force applied to an object by an external agent.

How can we determine the direction of the Fnet in a friction problem?

The direction of the Fnet can be determined by considering the direction of the applied force and the direction of the frictional force. If the applied force and the frictional force act in the same direction, the Fnet will be in that direction. If they act in opposite directions, the Fnet will be in the direction of the larger force.

How does the presence of friction affect the motion of an object in a friction problem?

The presence of friction can affect the motion of an object in a friction problem by decreasing its speed and causing it to decelerate. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion and can also cause an object to change its direction of motion. This is why it is important to consider friction when calculating Fnet in a friction problem.