Friedmann's 1st equation and density parameters

In summary: Therefore, they cannot be directly equated. In summary, the expression ##H^2 = H_0^2 \left [ \Omega_0 \frac{a}{a_0} + 1 - \Omega_0\right]## can be deduced from Friedmann's first equation by setting the cosmological constant to zero and rearranging the terms. It is not possible to write the ##\Omega_0\frac{a}{a_0}## term in terms of ##\Omega## instead.
tomwilliam2

Homework Statement

I'm trying to work out how the expression:
$$H^2 = H_0^2 \left [ \Omega_0 \frac{a}{a_0} + 1 - \Omega_0\right]$$
can be deduced from Friedmann's first equation:
$$H^2 = \frac{8\pi G \rho}{3} - \frac{kc^2}{R^2}$$
And I have a number of questions.

Firstly, I've often seen the 1st Friedmann equation written with a ##\frac{\Lambda c^2}{3}## term in it, but my textbook gives it as above. I guess they are equivalent, but I can't see how immediately. I'd like to know how you get the first expression above from Friedmann's equation so that I can work out whether it is valid for a spatially flat universe (k=0).
I also note that there is no ##\Omega(t)## term, so the ##a## in the square brackets provides the time-dependent element. Is it possible to write the ##\Omega_0\frac{a}{a_0}## in terms of ##\Omega## instead?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsFriedmann's First Equation:$$H^2 = \frac{8\pi G \rho}{3} - \frac{kc^2}{R^2}$$The Attempt at a SolutionI think the first part of my question is answered by noting that we can rewrite Friedmann's equation as follows:$$H^2 = \frac{8\pi G \rho}{3} - \frac{kc^2}{R^2} + \frac{\Lambda c^2}{3}$$where ##\Lambda## is the cosmological constant. Then, setting ##\Lambda## equal to zero and rearranging gives us:$$H^2 = \frac{8\pi G \rho}{3} - \frac{kc^2}{R^2} + \frac{\Omega_0 c^2}{3}\left ( \frac{a}{a_0}\right )$$where ##\Omega_0## is the current value of density parameter, and ##a_0## is the current scale factor. This can be further rearranged to give us the desired expression:$$H^2 = H_0^2 \left [ \Omega_0 \frac{a}{a_0} + 1 - \Omega_0\right]$$where ##H_0## is the current value of the Hubble parameter. As for the second part of my question, I'm not sure if it is possible to write the ##\Omega_0\frac{a}{a_0}## term in terms of ##\Omega## instead, but I'm guessing that it is not possible since the density parameter is a function of time, whereas the scale factor is a function of time and space.

Related to Friedmann's 1st equation and density parameters

1. What is Friedmann's 1st equation and how does it relate to the expansion of the universe?

Friedmann's 1st equation is a mathematical expression that describes the expansion of the universe over time. It relates the rate of expansion (determined by the Hubble constant) to the density and curvature of the universe.

2. What are the three density parameters in Friedmann's 1st equation?

The three density parameters in Friedmann's 1st equation are the matter density parameter, the radiation density parameter, and the cosmological constant (or dark energy) density parameter. These parameters represent the contributions of different types of matter and energy to the total density of the universe.

3. How do the density parameters affect the expansion of the universe?

The density parameters determine the overall curvature of the universe and therefore impact the rate of expansion. If the density parameters are high, the universe will have a positive curvature and expansion will eventually slow down and reverse. If the density parameters are low, the universe will have a negative curvature and expansion will continue indefinitely.

4. What is the significance of the critical density in Friedmann's 1st equation?

The critical density is the threshold at which the expansion of the universe will neither accelerate nor decelerate. If the actual density of the universe is equal to the critical density, it is said to be flat and will expand at a constant rate. The critical density also helps determine the fate of the universe.

5. How does the value of the Hubble constant affect Friedmann's 1st equation?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate of expansion of the universe. A higher value of the Hubble constant will result in a faster rate of expansion, while a lower value will result in a slower rate. The Hubble constant is a key factor in determining the age and size of the universe.