Frobenius Solution to 2xy'' +5y' -4xy = 0 at x = 0

In summary, the frobenius method allows for assuming a power series solution and then using a general method to solve for the recurrence relation. In step 2, the power can be (n+r-1) if it is more convenient, but it must remain consistent throughout the problem.
Gwozdzilla
After determining that x = 0 is a regular singular point of this equation, the frobenius method allows you to assume that y = Σanxn + r. Then I can take the first and second derivative of this assumption and plug it into the DE and begin solving with the general method:
  1. Multiply the coefficients inside
  2. Raise all of the x's to the same power
  3. Remove all of the "early terms" such that each summation is indexed starting at the same point
  4. Combine all of the like summations, set it equal to zero, and solve for the recurrence relation, or the highest indexed a.
In step 2, when I raise all of the x's to the same power, does this power have to be (n+r) or can it be something like (n+r-1) if that is more convenient? If I choose (n+r-1), do I have to change it back when I'm solving for the recurrence relation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gwozdzilla said:
After determining that x = 0 is a regular singular point of this equation, the frobenius method allows you to assume that y = Σanxn + r. Then I can take the first and second derivative of this assumption and plug it into the DE and begin solving with the general method:
  1. Multiply the coefficients inside
  2. Raise all of the x's to the same power
  3. Remove all of the "early terms" such that each summation is indexed starting at the same point
  4. Combine all of the like summations, set it equal to zero, and solve for the recurrence relation, or the highest indexed a.
In step 2, when I raise all of the x's to the same power, does this power have to be (n+r) or can it be something like (n+r-1) if that is more convenient? If I choose (n+r-1), do I have to change it back when I'm solving for the recurrence relation?

Yes, you can use a different index. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether your recurrence gives ##a_{n+1}## in terms of ##a_n## or ##a_n## in terms of ##a_{n-1}##. You just need to be consistent as you work the problem.

What is the Frobenius solution to the differential equation 2xy'' + 5y' - 4xy = 0 at x = 0?

The Frobenius solution is a method used to find a power series solution to a second-order linear differential equation with a regular singular point. In this case, the equation is 2xy'' + 5y' - 4xy = 0 at x = 0. The general form of the solution is y(x) = x^r * Σ(n=0 to ∞) a_n * x^n, where r is a constant and a_n are coefficients to be determined.

How is the Frobenius solution different from other methods of solving differential equations?

The Frobenius solution is specifically used for finding a power series solution to a differential equation with a regular singular point. Other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters, are used for different types of differential equations.

What is a regular singular point in a differential equation?

A regular singular point is a point in a differential equation where the coefficients of the highest derivatives are not analytic. In other words, the coefficients cannot be expressed as a power series. In the equation 2xy'' + 5y' - 4xy = 0 at x = 0, x = 0 is a regular singular point because the coefficient of y'' is 2x, which cannot be expressed as a power series.

How do you find the value of r in the Frobenius solution?

The value of r can be found by substituting y(x) = x^r into the differential equation and solving for r. In the equation 2xy'' + 5y' - 4xy = 0 at x = 0, substituting y(x) = x^r gives the indicial equation r(r-1) = 0, which has two solutions: r = 0 and r = 1. These values will determine the form of the solution.

What is the importance of solving differential equations using the Frobenius solution?

The Frobenius solution is important because it allows for the determination of a power series solution to a differential equation with a regular singular point. This method is often used in physics and engineering applications to approximate solutions and make predictions about the behavior of systems.