From Technician to EE: Transitioning to Electrical Engineering

• Thread starter triden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, a telecommunications technician takes a 2-year course in telecommunications technology, which includes studying electricity, circuits, and real-world implementations. Chris has been thinking about how he can improve on what he has learned and is interested in pursuing an engineering degree. He is concerned that it will be difficult to get into an engineering program due to his lack of mathematical and physics prerequisites.
triden
Hi,

Right now I am (almost) a telecommunications technician which I have taken a 2 year course for at my local university. We have studied many things such as analogue, digital, microprocessor, and wireless circuits. We've built and designed BJT & mosfet amps, worked with arrays of digital logic chips and programmed microprocessors including building small computers (with intel 8085) from the ground up. Basically the course has given me a great fundamental understanding of electricity and various circuits and their applications. We have done a small amount of cicuit design and real world implementations. Recently I have been thinking about all I have learned and I would LOVE to bring it to the next level. During my breaks I do fun things such as building PCB's and other design things that we were not taught at school. I have been reading many books and articles and learning things on my own. As an example I just finished a digital car starter circuit that uses a keypad and a 4 pin password that will start, warmup, and run a vehicle with all kinds of neat features. I have a big drive to do things like this instead of repairing local radio towers everyday.

What I really want to know is; since I am currently a technician, is it easy to get into an engineering course? Also, is there such a thing as a "transfer" course where I wouldn't have to start at day 1 since I have some basic understandings of electronics? I have taken courses like calculus and physics before I did my technician diploma, so I hope this would help. Any other information that would help me get into an EE course or atleast help me learn more about what an EE does would be great!

Regards,
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Each school will be different, but the biggest difference is in the calculus (you are typically 1/2 or more a math major) and physics (again maybe 1/2 or more a physics major) level and the circuit classes reflect that calculus and physics based calculus more than anything else. You can find many undergrad EEs who cannot hook up a BJT, even with their BS, but could answer a homework problem about the damping in an RLC circuit involving an integral in short time.

It sounds like you should find a university with an Electronics Engineering curriculum and be prepared to spend the first couple years completing the calc and physics before you'll get into much circuit design. You may be able to CLEP out of some of the requirements and also fufill some general credits like english or art that you may not already have. But be prepared that you're not going to find an awesome circuit design curriculum at any school, most assume your first employer will handle most of that and teach you with only the basics from a math standpoint and establish the scientific viewpoint. my opinion anyways...

I came out of the Navy with 4yrs experience as an Electronics Technician, using the GI Bill I started my Physics degree at the local University. I thought I knew about Electromagnetism until I started the Junior level E&M course. Very early on we covered Capacitance, it was like a foreign language. The way I see it now, I knew a lot about capacitors, but I knew NOTHING about capacitance.

You will find many topics like this, the technical school teaches you how to use a concept but does not always teach you the fundamentals of the concept. It is amazing just how big a difference there is.

I would encourage you to presue that EE, but do not think it will be a piece of cake. Your experience will give you a leg up in many ways but in others it may be a barrier you must overcome.

The above advice is correct. The majority of work involved in getting a BS degree is "non-practical" in the sense that you know it. A lot depends on curriculum, but about 20% of your classwork will have nothing to do with EE (English, electives, gen-ed requirements, basket weaving, etc). About 50% will be the math and physics that generically preps you for an engineering curriculum. And the last 30% is the engineering work, which is mostly theoretical application of the math and physics. The dirty little secret of college education is that it doesn't prepare you to do very much.

The good news is that you already have the real-world experience that so many undergraduates lack and must learn on the job. Presumably, having an intuitive understanding of circuits will help you when it comes to the equations and coursework. And when you go to a job, a smart employer will recognize that you're much better prepared than the typical graduate.

Thanks for the responses guys. What I am going to do is work in the field for a couple years, make money and get experience. Then when I am ready I would love to get an EE degree. Hopefully I can upgrade my physics and calculus via corropondance while I am working to help me get a head start.

1. What skills are necessary to transition from a technician to an electrical engineer?

To successfully transition from a technician to an electrical engineer, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are crucial for success in this field. It is also important to have a working knowledge of electrical circuits, programming languages, and industry-specific software.

2. What are the main differences between a technician and an electrical engineer?

Technicians typically work under the guidance of an engineer and are responsible for implementing and maintaining electrical systems. They focus on the practical aspects of electrical work, such as wiring, troubleshooting, and repairs. In contrast, electrical engineers are trained to design, develop, and test electrical systems and components. They are responsible for analyzing and solving complex problems and creating innovative solutions.

3. Is a degree in electrical engineering necessary to make the transition?

While having a degree in electrical engineering is not always necessary, it can greatly increase your chances of success in transitioning from a technician to an electrical engineer. A degree provides a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and advanced concepts of electrical engineering, as well as hands-on experience through labs and projects. However, with relevant work experience and self-study, it is possible to transition without a degree.

4. How can I gain experience in electrical engineering as a technician?

One way to gain experience in electrical engineering as a technician is to actively seek out opportunities to work on projects with engineers. This could involve assisting with design, testing, or research. Additionally, taking courses or pursuing certifications in electrical engineering can help you gain a deeper understanding of the field and make you a more valuable asset to your team.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone transitioning from a technician to an electrical engineer?

Transitioning from a technician to an electrical engineer can open up various career paths, including roles in design, research and development, project management, and technical sales. Electrical engineers also have the opportunity to work in a range of industries, such as power generation and distribution, telecommunications, and consumer electronics. With experience and further education, one can also advance to leadership positions, such as chief engineer or engineering manager.