Fundamental Arguments For The Form Of The Lagrangian, L=T-U

In summary, you are trying to develop a model that describes interactions between systems, but you are not sure how to do it. You have two failed attempts at resolving this issue.
Gabriel Golfetti
I am trying to establish a Rationalist approach to Physics as a side project, and have taken Hamilton's Principle as one of the few postulates in my work. I've developed the concept enough to arrive at the usual stuff, like the Euler-Lagrange equations, Newton's First Law and Nöther's Theorem, but I still haven't been able to describe interactions between systems.

What do I mean by that? Suppose that we have some sort of entity that we know follows a certain Lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}_{free}=T## while it's in free motion. Now we create conditions for this entity to interact with something else (whatever it is, it doesn't matter), and it starts to follow a new Lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}##. In most applications of the Lagrangian, we set $$\mathcal{L}=T-U,$$ Where ##U## is a function that depends only on the nature of the interaction and can be deduced experimentally through the equations of motion. My question now is about why we can do this. Why can we guarantee the term that describes the interactions is additive instead of completely altering the Lagrangian? Keep in mind that I'm not assuming Newton's Second and Third Laws hold.

Here are two of my failed attempts at resolving this issue:
  • Interaction as a perturbation
Suppose we can modulate the strength of our interaction through some constant ##\alpha##. Then we can say that our Lagrangian is of the form $$\mathcal{L}=T-\alpha U,\,U\equiv-\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\alpha},$$ And if we take ##\alpha## to be the 'correct' value for our equations of motion and then absorb the constant into the ##U## term, we have our new Lagrangian.
The problem with this approach is that some interactions can't be modulated to the proper intensity, e.g. very quick isentropic processes or anything with hysteretic behavior, and therefore this model is at least flawed.​

• Interaction as a constraint
This time, we assume that we can write our interactions as some sort of constraint ##f=0##, and from this we find stationary points for the free action: $$S_{free}=\int T\,\mathrm{d}t, \text{subject to } f=0.$$ We know from Variational Calculus that this is equivalent to finding stationary points to the functional $$S=S_{free}-\lambda f=\int T-U\,\mathrm{d}t, \text{where }U\equiv-\lambda\frac{df}{dt},$$ For some lagrangian multiplier ##\lambda##. This new functional will now be called our action.
Now, the thing that bothers me here is that I am still assuming that the free action is still 'stationary' despite having no idea how the interactions may affect the Lagrangian.​

If any of you Lagrangian enthusiasts could lend me a hand in getting to a fundamental reason for this general form of the functional, I'd be very grateful. Thanks anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Golfetti said:
I am trying to establish a Rationalist approach to Physics
Are you saying physics is not rational?

Shayan.J said:
Are you saying physics is not rational?

Haha, no. When I say Rationalist I mean it in the philosophical sense, i.e. that the Universe has an underlying logical structure, and any of its properties can be deduced with reason. In the old days, it was opposed to Empiricism, which basically argues that we can only learn about the Universe with experiment. Nowadays, we realize that both of these go hand in hand, and I'm trying to focus on Rationalism for my approach to Physics.

1. What is the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that represents the total energy of a system in classical mechanics. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy (T) and the potential energy (U) of a system, L = T - U.

2. Why is the Lagrangian important in physics?

The Lagrangian plays a crucial role in the formulation of classical mechanics, as it allows for the derivation of the equations of motion for a system. It also provides a more elegant and efficient way to describe the dynamics of a system compared to using the traditional Newton's laws of motion.

3. How is the Lagrangian related to the principle of least action?

The Lagrangian is used in the principle of least action, which states that the actual path of a system between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the action, defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics.

4. Can the Lagrangian be applied to all physical systems?

The Lagrangian can be applied to any system that can be described by a set of generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities. This includes mechanical systems, electromagnetic systems, and even quantum systems.

5. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian over other methods in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian provides a more compact and elegant way to describe the dynamics of a system compared to using Newton's laws of motion. It also allows for the use of generalized coordinates, making it easier to solve complex and non-linear systems. Furthermore, it is applicable to a wide range of physical systems, making it a versatile tool in physics.