Negligible terms and Lagrangians

In summary, the approximation in Lagrangian mechanics is to take the kinetic and potential energies as harmonic oscillators. This approximation is good for small oscillations near an equilibrium.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider a theory with the Lagrangian [itex] \mathcal L=\mathcal L_{free} + \mathcal L_{int} [/itex]. I think if we say [itex] \mathcal L_{free} \gg \mathcal L_{int} [/itex], this means that the equations of motion will be much near to the free equations. But I'm not sure that we can prove that if in an equation of motion, we can neglect interaction terms, then [itex] \mathcal L_{free} \gg \mathcal L_{int} [/itex]! I know, It may not seem a clear question but my mind's not clear about it too so I'll appreciate any clarification(of the question and my mind) and any ideas.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'd have to consider length of time too, since over time the interactive effects will begin to appear.

No, that is not true. Consider some Lagrangian, then a sum of that Lagrangian with an arbitrarily large constant. Obviously, the equations of motion are the same.

jedishrfu said:
I think you'd have to consider length of time too, since over time the interactive effects will begin to appear.

But sometimes we just dismiss some terms in the equation of motion because they're negligible compared to other terms. Your objection is applicable there too. But in those cases we're considering the equation in only a time interval which is shorter than the full time interval that the equation is applicable in. So here, we can take the action integral only in that subinterval where the approximation is a good one.

voko said:
No, that is not true. Consider some Lagrangian, then a sum of that Lagrangian with an arbitrarily large constant. Obviously, the equations of motion are the same.
Well, I can take only terms which contain a dynamical variable!

Shyan said:
Well, I can take only terms which contain a dynamical variable!

The instead of a constant term, consider a large but very slowly varying term.

voko said:
The instead of a constant term, consider a large but very slowly varying term.
So you're saying that we may have a term in the Lagrangian that is negligible compared to other terms but is varying fast. Then it doesn't matter that its magnitude is small?

I would express that differently. It is not magnitude alone that matters.

voko said:
I would express that differently. It is not magnitude alone that matters.
There are many famous approximations in physics. Of course some of them are in parts of physics that have a well established variational formulation. I think if I see one example of an approximation implemented in the variational language, I'll be OK. Do you know such an example?(I mean applying the approximation before getting the equations of motion, applying it to the Lagrangian!)

The classical example is given by small oscillations near an equilibrium at ##q = q_0##.

Say kinetic energy is ## {f(q) \over 2} \dot q^2 ## and potential energy is ## g(q) ##. Then kinetic energy is approximated with ## {f(q_0) \over 2} \dot q^2 ##, and potential energy with ## {g''(q_0) \over 2} q^2 ## (remember, ## g'(q_0) = 0 ## because ##q = q_0## is an equilibrium). So the approximated Lagrangian is ## {f(q_0) \over 2} \dot q^2 - {g''(q_0) \over 2} q^2 ##, whose Euler-Lagrange equation is ## f(q_0) \ddot q + g''(q_0) q = 0 ##, i. e., that of a harmonic oscillator.

1. What are negligible terms in a Lagrangian?

Negligible terms in a Lagrangian are small terms that can be ignored in the overall calculation. They are often associated with higher order derivatives or terms that have a very small coefficient. These terms are typically considered insignificant and do not significantly affect the final result.

2. How do negligible terms affect the validity of a Lagrangian?

Negligible terms do not affect the validity of a Lagrangian as they are often considered to be an approximation or simplification of the full equation. However, they can affect the precision of the results obtained from the Lagrangian and should be taken into consideration when making calculations.

3. Can negligible terms be completely disregarded in a Lagrangian?

No, negligible terms should not be completely disregarded in a Lagrangian. While they may not significantly affect the final result, they can still contribute to the overall calculation and should be taken into account for accuracy. Ignoring negligible terms completely can lead to errors in the final result.

4. How are negligible terms related to the principle of least action?

Negligible terms are related to the principle of least action in that they are often used to simplify the Lagrangian and make it easier to apply the principle. By ignoring these small terms, the Lagrangian can be reduced to its essential components, making it easier to find the path of least action.

5. What is the significance of including negligible terms in a Lagrangian?

The significance of including negligible terms in a Lagrangian is to account for all possible factors that may affect the final result. While these terms may not have a significant impact, they are still a part of the equation and should be considered for the sake of accuracy. Neglecting these terms can lead to errors and imprecise results.