Do Large Galaxies Exist Without Central Supermassive Black Holes?

• A
  • Thread starter secur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxies
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of large galaxies without central supermassive black holes (SMBH). Two possible examples are A2261-BCG and CID-42, but there is uncertainty about whether these galaxies actually lack SMBHs. There is also debate about whether spiral galaxies without bulges contain SMBHs or not. Some sources suggest they do, while others claim they only contain low mass black holes. As for finding more information about galactic composition and dynamics, Wikipedia is a reliable source, but NASA and solstation.com also provide information on the topic.
secur
I'm wondering about large, regular galaxies that lack SMBH's. Here are some possible examples I found. The general question is, what large galaxies have no central SMBH?

-----------------

A2261-BCG: From the Astrophysical Journal, 756:159, 2012 September 10, "A BRIGHTEST CLUSTER GALAXY WITH AN EXTREMELY LARGE FLAT CORE":

One possibility for the puffy [i.e., large with flat luminosity profile] core may be two central black holes orbiting each other. ... In this scenario, ... each gravitational slingshot [ejecting stars] robbed the black holes of momentum, moving the pair ever closer together, until finally they merged, forming one supermassive black hole that still resides in the galaxy's center.

Another related possibility is that the black-hole merger created gravity waves, ... The imbalance of forces would have ejected the merged black hole from the center at speeds of millions of miles an hour, resulting in the rarity of a galaxy without a central black hole.

QUESTION: What is the latest on A2261-BCG? have they decided whether it has a SMBH or not?

-----------------

Similar uncertainty exists concerning CID-42, where a BH is leaving. The headline is "Giant Black Hole Kicked Out of Home Galaxy". Popular accounts say galaxies merged, the 2 SMBH's (now one) were kicked by gravitational waves, and it's leaving at "several million miles per hour". But the 2010 paper says:

"This black hole kickback was caused either by a slingshot effect produced in a triple black hole system, or from the effects of gravitational waves produced after two supermassive black holes merged a few million years earlier."

QUESTION: The popular headline is unambiguous, but NASA doesn't know whether a SMBH is still there. Have they decided whether there is, in fact, a 3rd SMBH remaining behind in CID-42?

-----------------

Spirals without bulges:

wikipedia: "Until recently it was thought that one could not have a supermassive black hole without a bulge around it, but galaxies hosting supermassive black holes without accompanying bulges have now been observed."

Ok, I find that in 2008 Hubble saw a spiral galaxy with no bulge, but jets emerging, probably due to SMBH. NASA concludes that perhaps such spirals often do have SMBH's.

But at solstation.com it says: in 2011, The astronomers found, however, that galaxies without a bulge -- even if they are embedded in massive dark matter halos -- contain very low mass black holes, if any.

It's hard to reconcile these reports since the 2011 report doesn't explain or mention the 2008 report. I suspect wikipedia is right.

QUESTION: What's the latest thinking? Do spirals without bulges contain SMBH's, or not?

-----------------

QUESTION: Can you give me examples of large galaxies with no SMBH? Or a link - but don't just send me to NASA

Astronomy news on Phys.org
According to PF rules I'm allowed one bump after 24 hours if no responses. So let me re-phrase my question:

Where can I go to get answers to questions about galactic composition and dynamics? Can you recommend any good sites?

1. What is a galaxy without a supermassive black hole (SMBH)?

A galaxy without a SMBH is a type of galaxy that does not have a central supermassive black hole at its core. These galaxies are relatively rare and are often referred to as "dark galaxies" due to the absence of a bright central object.

2. How do galaxies without SMBHs form?

The formation of galaxies without SMBHs is still a topic of ongoing research. One theory suggests that these galaxies may have formed in the early universe when there was less gas and dust available for the formation of supermassive black holes. Another theory proposes that these galaxies may have had a SMBH at one point, but it was ejected due to interactions with other galaxies.

3. Can a galaxy survive without a SMBH?

Yes, a galaxy can survive without a SMBH. While supermassive black holes are known to have a significant impact on the evolution of galaxies, they are not essential for their survival. Galaxies without SMBHs may have different characteristics and evolutionary paths compared to galaxies with a central black hole.

4. How do we detect galaxies without SMBHs?

The most common method for detecting galaxies without SMBHs is through their radio emissions. These galaxies emit radio waves due to the presence of neutral hydrogen gas, which is thought to be the primary fuel for the formation of stars. Other methods such as gravitational lensing and infrared imaging can also be used to identify these galaxies.

5. Are there any observable differences between galaxies with and without SMBHs?

Yes, there are some observable differences between galaxies with and without SMBHs. Galaxies without a central black hole tend to have lower mass and less active star formation compared to galaxies with a SMBH. Additionally, the absence of a SMBH can affect the dynamics and structure of a galaxy, leading to differences in its appearance and behavior.