Galiliei transformations explicit proof

In summary: Then check that all the quadratic ones match up. If they do, then you're done. If they don't, then there must be some algebraic mistake somewhere.
ma18

Homework Statement

Show explicitly that

ei*ε*κu * ei*ε*κv * e-i*ε*κu* e-i*ε*κv = Identity + ε2 [Kv,Ku + O (ε3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Kv,Ku = Kv*Ku - Ku*Kv

I'm not sure exactly how to approach this problem. I know that

U (tau) = ∏ ei*su*Ku

and that for operators O --> O' = U O U

I have this information but I don't know how to put it together, any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest expanding the exponentials up to order ##\epsilon^2## and then simply checking that the expression reduces to the given one.

Dont let wolfram do it for you, just multiply the terms together and keep only terms up to order two in epsilon.

Orodruin said:
two
Orodruin said:
Dont let wolfram do it for you, just multiply the terms together and keep only terms up to order two in epsilon.

Alright, If I do that I get

(1+i*e*v-e^2*v^2/2 +i*ex-e^2*x*v-e^2*x^2/2)(1-i*e*v-e^2*v^2/2-i*e*x-e^2*v*x-e^2*x^2/2)

then expanding that leads to many terms

upload_2015-10-26_15-47-1.png

which doesn't lead to the correct answer, perhaps I am making an algebraic mistake

Orodruin said:

Go order by order. First check that all the linear terms cancel.

1. What are Galilei transformations?

Galilei transformations, also known as Galilean transformations, are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the position, velocity, and time of an object in one inertial frame of reference to its position, velocity, and time in another inertial frame of reference. They were first developed by Italian scientist Galileo Galilei in the 17th century.

2. Why is an explicit proof of Galilei transformations necessary?

An explicit proof of Galilei transformations is necessary to provide a rigorous mathematical foundation for the equations. This allows scientists to confidently use them in various applications and make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in different frames of reference.

3. How is an explicit proof of Galilei transformations derived?

An explicit proof of Galilei transformations is typically derived using the principles of classical mechanics, particularly Newton's laws of motion. This involves mathematically manipulating the equations to show how they relate to each other and how they can be used to transform measurements from one frame of reference to another.

4. What are the assumptions made in an explicit proof of Galilei transformations?

An explicit proof of Galilei transformations assumes that the frames of reference involved are both inertial, meaning they are not accelerating or rotating. It also assumes that the laws of physics are the same in both frames of reference.

5. Are Galilei transformations still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Galilei transformations are still relevant in modern science, particularly in classical mechanics and Newtonian physics. They are also used in special relativity, although they are only accurate in situations where the relative velocities are much less than the speed of light.