Gamma Function Q from Mary Boas 2nd ed (ch11)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation $$L=\frac{mv^2}{2} - \frac{1}{2} m \ln x$$ in the Euler-L equation to manipulate it into either $$\frac{d}{dt} m\dot{x} = -\frac{m}{2x}$$ or $$2vdv = -\frac{dx}{x}$$. The goal is to eventually integrate this equation to get the form of a Gamma function. The conversation also mentions the use of Gamma functions in solving Bessel function solutions for wavey partial differential equations. By setting ##v=0## at ##x=1## and using ##v = \frac{dx}{dt}##, one
weak_phys
Homework Statement
So this Q has been nagging me for a few days & I noticed that some poor citizen from 2006 has asked about it previously.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gamma-function-application.139116/
But in spite of the advice from OlderDan, i'm not seeing how to manipulate to find the Gamma integral form - any further hints appreciated (but its not actually homework so no panic, I was just working my way through this chapter)
Relevant Equations
16. A particle starting from rest at x=1 moves along the x axis toward the origin. Its potential energy is $$V= \frac{1}{2} m lnx$$, Write the Lagrange equation and integrate it to find the time required for the particle to reach the origin. Answer is given $$\Gamma(\frac{1}{2})$$
So using $$L=\frac{mv^2}{2} - \frac{1}{2} m lnx$$ and throwing it into the Euler-L equation I agree with kcrick & OlderDan that we can manipulate this to either $$\frac{d}{dt} m\dot{x} = -\frac{m}{2x}$$ or $$2vdv = -\frac{dx}{x}$$ but I'm not having any epiphanies on how to turn the above into something like $$ \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}e^{-x}dx$$ or $$ \int_{0}^{1} [ln2]^{-\frac{1}{2}}dx$$
Again, I'm a newbie, any help appreciated or if I've posted in the wrong place, please forgive. My aim here is to eventually be the kind of math teacher that Mary Boas likens in her preface: "What do you say when students ask about the practical applications of some mathematical topic?" The experienced professor said "I tell them!"
In uni we studied the use of Gamma functions as part of Bessel function solutions for wavey pde's but...
I like this question because it's 'simple' and because of the shape of the potential and it bothers me that I'm getting nowhere :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating your second equation, you get:
$$\int 2vdv = \int (-\frac{dx}{x}) + C$$
or
$$v^2 = -\ln(x) + C$$.
Set ##v=0## at ##x=1##, you get ##C = 0##. Then you use ##v = \frac{dx}{dt}## and you integrate again. You will get the form of Gamma function that was mentioned in that post.

Likes weak_phys and Abhishek11235
Ah, thank you. I think I was having a mental block by insisting I have a definite integral from $$\int_{1}^{0} - \frac{1}{x} dx$$ in the first step which stopped any progress. That's excellent, thank you again, I really appreciate your help!

You're welcome :smile:

1. What is the Gamma function Q from Mary Boas 2nd edition (ch11)?

The Gamma function Q is a mathematical function that is used to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range. It is often used in statistics and probability theory.

2. How is the Gamma function Q calculated?

The Gamma function Q is calculated using the integral representation of the function, which involves an infinite sum of terms. This integral can be evaluated using numerical methods or special functions.

3. What are the applications of the Gamma function Q?

The Gamma function Q has various applications in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to calculate the probability of events in experiments and to model the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the Gamma function Q differ from the Gamma function?

The Gamma function Q is a version of the Gamma function that is specifically used for calculating probabilities. It differs from the standard Gamma function in that it has a different parameterization and is often used in a different context.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Gamma function Q?

Like any mathematical function, there are limitations to using the Gamma function Q. It may not be appropriate for certain types of distributions or in cases where the underlying assumptions of the function do not hold. Additionally, it may be difficult to compute for certain values or require specialized software or algorithms.