1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma function application

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    A particle of mass m starting from rest at x=1 moves along the x axis toward the origin. Its potential energy is [itex] V=\frac{1}{2}mlnx[/itex]. Write the Lagrange equation and integrate it to find the time required for the particle to reach the origin.

Lagrange Equation in 1-D:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}=0[/tex]
    [tex]L = T - V = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}-\frac{1}{2}mlnx =\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2}-\frac{1}{2}mlnx [/tex]

Substitute L in Lagrange Equation:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{x}}\left(\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2}\right)-\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(-\frac{1}{2}mlnx\right)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{x}}\left(\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2}\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(-\frac{1}{2}mlnx\right)[/tex]

... And I don't really know what to do from here. The answer is given and it is supposed to be [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]. Can someone tell me where to go from where I left off? Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    i don't know if this will help... but you can do this problem without using the Lagrangian. since the motion is in one dimension, energy is always conserved.

then integrate through dt=dx/v, express v as a function of x using energy. then integrate both side from x=1 to x=0
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Well, the question says specifically to use the Lagrange Equation. My problem is I don't know what to integrate and what I'm integrating over. Also, I'm assuming I have to use either one of these relations:

[tex] \Gamma\left(p\right)=\int^{\infty}_{0}x^{p-1}e^{-x}dx [/tex]

[tex] \Gamma\left(p+1\right) = p\Gamma\left(p\right) [/tex]
  5. Oct 20, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there is another form that will help you. See

equation (5)

equation (1)

Your equation

can be integrated by separating variables

[tex]2vdv =-\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

Integrate this and set v = 0 at x = 1 and then separate variables and integrate again. That will give you that Euler form for [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?