Gamma function application

In summary, a particle of mass m starts from rest at x=1 and moves along the x-axis toward the origin. Its potential energy is V=\frac{1}{2}mlnx. The Lagrange equation in 1-D says that the particle's kinetic energy is equal to its potential energy and that the particle's distance from the origin is proportional to its velocity. Integrating the Lagrange equation, the time required for the particle to reach the origin is found to be T=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}-\frac{1}{2}mlnx.
kcirick
Question:
A particle of mass m starting from rest at x=1 moves along the x-axis toward the origin. Its potential energy is [itex] V=\frac{1}{2}mlnx[/itex]. Write the Lagrange equation and integrate it to find the time required for the particle to reach the origin.

Lagrange Equation in 1-D:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}=0[/tex]
[tex]L = T - V = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}-\frac{1}{2}mlnx =\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2}-\frac{1}{2}mlnx [/tex]

Substitute L in Lagrange Equation:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{x}}\left(\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2}\right)-\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(-\frac{1}{2}mlnx\right)=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{x}}\left(\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^{2}\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(-\frac{1}{2}mlnx\right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}m\dot{x}=-\frac{m}{2x}[/tex]

... And I don't really know what to do from here. The answer is given and it is supposed to be [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]. Can someone tell me where to go from where I left off? Thank you!
-Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know if this will help... but you can do this problem without using the Lagrangian. since the motion is in one dimension, energy is always conserved.

then integrate through dt=dx/v, express v as a function of x using energy. then integrate both side from x=1 to x=0

Well, the question says specifically to use the Lagrange Equation. My problem is I don't know what to integrate and what I'm integrating over. Also, I'm assuming I have to use either one of these relations:

[tex] \Gamma\left(p\right)=\int^{\infty}_{0}x^{p-1}e^{-x}dx [/tex]

or

[tex] \Gamma\left(p+1\right) = p\Gamma\left(p\right) [/tex]

kcirick said:
Well, the question says specifically to use the Lagrange Equation. My problem is I don't know what to integrate and what I'm integrating over. Also, I'm assuming I have to use either one of these relations:

[tex] \Gamma\left(p\right)=\int^{\infty}_{0}x^{p-1}e^{-x}dx [/tex]

or

[tex] \Gamma\left(p+1\right) = p\Gamma\left(p\right) [/tex]
I think there is another form that will help you. See

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html

equation (5)

or

http://numbers.computation.free.fr/Constants/Miscellaneous/gammaFunction.html

equation (1)

Your equation

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}m\dot{x}=-\frac{m}{2x}[/tex]

can be integrated by separating variables

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=-\frac{1}{2x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}=-\frac{1}{2x}[/tex]

[tex]2vdv =-\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

Integrate this and set v = 0 at x = 1 and then separate variables and integrate again. That will give you that Euler form for [itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]

Last edited:
Likes weak_phys

What is the Gamma function and why is it important?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function that is used to extend the concept of factorial to real and complex numbers. It is important because it allows for the calculation of factorial values for non-integer values, which is useful in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What are some common applications of the Gamma function?

The Gamma function has various applications in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. Some common applications include calculating probabilities in statistics, solving certain differential equations in physics, and determining the shape of objects in engineering.

How is the Gamma function calculated?

The Gamma function is typically calculated using numerical methods or series expansions. However, there are also various approximation formulas that can be used to calculate the Gamma function.

What are the limitations of the Gamma function?

One limitation of the Gamma function is that it is undefined for negative integers. Additionally, the Gamma function can become very large for large values of x, which can lead to computational difficulties.

What is the relationship between the Gamma function and the factorial function?

The Gamma function is an extension of the factorial function. For positive integers, n, the Gamma function is equal to (n-1)!. It can also be seen as a continuous version of the factorial function, allowing for the calculation of factorial values for non-integer numbers.