Gauss' law on differential form.

V is equivalent to S. (S is the boundary of V, and the integral is over the entire boundary, not just one part of it, so it's often called a "closed surface integral".)You are correct that the field strength should be higher on one side of the charged object than on the other. That's why the left and right sides of the divergence theorem equation aren't equal; they're equal plus the difference in the field strength times the area of the surface. That difference (times the area) is the net flux leaving the volume, and the limit of that is the divergence (times the volume). If there's a charge inside the volume, then there's more flux leaving than entering (
center o bass
The differential form of Gauss' law states that
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex].

So the divergence of the electric field is the chargedensity divided by epsilon zero.

I just wondered.. since divergence is a local or "point" property. Is the chargedensity in this law also the charge density at that point? That is to say for some x,y,z is

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E}(x,y,z) = \frac{\rho (x,y,z) }{\epsilon_0}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
center o bass said:
I just wondered.. since divergence is a local or "point" property. Is the chargedensity in this law also the charge density at that point? That is to say for some x,y,z is

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E}(x,y,z) = \frac{\rho (x,y,z) }{\epsilon_0}[/tex]?

Yes. Both divergence and charge density are local properties.

Is this result then only valid within a material with a certain chargedensity?

In the space between two pointcharges, for example; we'll have divergence in the field, but the chargedensity at any point between the pointcharges is zero, isn't it?

center o bass said:
In the space between two pointcharges, for example; we'll have divergence in the field,
No you won't. Why would you think so?

You won't?

Maybe I have the wrong intuition.. My intution so far as to what divergence at a point actually mesures is that it's a mesure of "how much _field_ is going in relative to how much is going out", or alternativly, "the contraction or expansion" of the field at that point.

For the electric field i then immagine that since the strength falls off as 1/r^2, you'll have a weaker field going out than coming in in the increasing direction of r.

And is not the following calculation correct? (one dimensional case)

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{1}{x^2} = -\frac{2}{x^3}[/tex]

center o bass said:
You won't?

Maybe I have the wrong intuition.. My intution so far as to what divergence at a point actually mesures is that it's a mesure of "how much _field_ is going in relative to how much is going out", or alternativly, "the contraction or expansion" of the field at that point.

For the electric field i then immagine that since the strength falls off as 1/r^2, you'll have a weaker field going out than coming in in the increasing direction of r.

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{1}{x^2} = -\frac{2}{x^3}[/tex]

That calculation is incorrect because the electric field in 1D does not satisfy an inverse-square law. In 3D we have

[tex]\nabla \cdot \frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}_i}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}_i|^3} = 4\pi \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_i)[/tex]

where [tex]\delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_i)[/tex] is the Dirac delta-function. This shows that the divergence of the electric field due to a series of point particles vanishes everywhere except the points where the charges are located.

center o bass said:
You won't?

You might have the right idea, I'm not sure. It would be more accurate to say that divergence is a measure of the excess flux leaving a volume of space, or rather the limit of that quantity as the volume becomes infinitesimally small. Flux could be thought of as the number of field lines. (The field is the density of flux per unit area.)
center o bass said:
That is true, but you also have a larger area over which the field is leaving, compared to the area over which the field is entering. Area increases in proportion to r2, which cancels out with the 1/r2 decrease in field strength to produce a constant. You can think of the divergence (at least in the radial direction) as the change in that constant, which is of course 0. (Unless there is a charge at that point)
center o bass said:

In 1 dimension, the field doesn't fall off as 1/r2; it's actually constant in space.

Hmm! That is really interesting. Thanks for enlightenlig replies! :) But..

"That is true, but you also have a larger area over which the field is leaving, compared to the area over which the field is entering. Area increases in proportion to r2, which cancels out with the 1/r2 decrease in field strength to produce a constant. You can think of the divergence (at least in the radial direction) as the change in that constant, which is of course 0. (Unless there is a charge at that point)"

I follow you here if the surface we are considering is centered at the point of origin of the charge, but what if you take this surface and put it somewhere else in the field. From the definition and what you're saying we have

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \lim_{V \to 0} \oint_S \frac{\vec{E}\cdot \vec{dA}}{V}[/tex]

If we now consider the halfsphere facing the charge I immagine that we'll have a stronger field, or alternativly, a denser collection of fieldlines, entering this halvsphere, then what is leaving the halfsphere facing away from the charge.

Btw: How do I quote you properly? :)

Ah... never mind my previous post. Ofcourse if you have a certain numbers of fieldlines coming into a volume they must also be coming out, so the netto flux trough the surface is zero. I think I've got it now.

To quote a post you can click the "QUOTE" button at the bottom right. It comes out like this:
Code:
[quote="center o bass, post: 2901535"]Hmm! That is really interesting. Thanks for enlightenlig replies! :) But..

Btw: How do I quote you properly? :)[/QUOTE ]
and then you can add additional
center o bass said:
and [/QUOTE ] tags as needed.

center o bass said:
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \lim_{V \to 0} \oint_S \frac{\vec{E}\cdot \vec{dA}}{V}[/tex]
I think that's correct but it took some thinking to convince myself. It's more usually written as Stokes' theorem (or the "divergence theorem") in integral form,
[tex]\iiint_V \vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{E}\,\mathrm{d}^3V = \iint_{\partial V}\vec{E}\cdot\mathrm{d}^2\vec{A}[/tex]

diazona said:
I think that's correct but it took some thinking to convince myself. It's more usually written as Stokes' theorem (or the "divergence theorem") in integral form,
[tex]\iiint_V \vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{E}\,\mathrm{d}^3V = \iint_{\partial V}\vec{E}\cdot\mathrm{d}^2\vec{A}[/tex]

Thanks diazona! :) Maybe the definition follows naturaly from the divergence theorem, but that is the definition that i learned. It is also stated at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergence

Btw it was interessting what you said about electric fields in 1D. I allways assumed that the properties would persist from 3D to 1D.
But isn't the fact that they don't a consequence of the view we have of fieldlines being the agents of force between charges?

That is [tex]F \alpha [/tex] #fieldlines acting on a body, so in 3d as the number of fieldlines falls of with r^2 because of the spherical symmetri, we will only have one simple fieldline in 1D which causes the force there to be constant. Similarly I'm then tempted to conclude that the force in 2D falls of with r because of the circular symmetry..

Have I got the idea? :)

center o bass said:
Btw it was interessting what you said about electric fields in 1D. I allways assumed that the properties would persist from 3D to 1D.
But isn't the fact that they don't a consequence of the view we have of fieldlines being the agents of force between charges?

That is [tex]F \alpha [/tex] #fieldlines acting on a body, so in 3d as the number of fieldlines falls of with r^2 because of the spherical symmetri, we will only have one simple fieldline in 1D which causes the force there to be constant. Similarly I'm then tempted to conclude that the force in 2D falls of with r because of the circular symmetry..

Have I got the idea? :)
Yeah, that's pretty much the idea. Or instead of thinking in terms of field lines, you could also come to that conclusion from Gauss's law. If you solve
[tex]\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{E}(x) = 0[/tex]
in 1D, you find that [itex]E(x)[/itex] has to be a constant.

Related to Gauss' law on differential form.

1. What is Gauss' law on differential form?

Gauss' law on differential form is a mathematical expression that relates the electric field to the charge density in a given region. It is a more general and powerful form of Gauss' law, which is usually written in integral form.

2. What is the significance of Gauss' law on differential form in the study of electromagnetism?

Gauss' law on differential form is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism. It allows us to calculate the electric field at any point in space by knowing the distribution of electric charges in that region. This law is essential in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charged particles.

3. How is Gauss' law on differential form derived?

Gauss' law on differential form can be derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By combining the equations for the divergence of the electric field and the charge density, we can arrive at the differential form of Gauss' law.

4. What are the limitations of Gauss' law on differential form?

Gauss' law on differential form is only applicable in situations where the electric field is static or does not change with time. It also assumes a vacuum or a uniform dielectric medium. In the presence of varying electric fields or non-uniform dielectric materials, the integral form of Gauss' law must be used.

5. In what fields of science and engineering is Gauss' law on differential form commonly used?

Gauss' law on differential form is used in a wide range of fields, including electrical engineering, astrophysics, and plasma physics. It is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields in electronic devices, the formation of galaxies, and the behavior of charged particles in fusion reactors.