Gauss's Law Problem: long, cylindrical charge distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss's law to find the electric field at different distances from a cylindrical charge distribution with uniform charge density. The first part involves using a Gaussian surface with radius r < R and the second part involves using a Gaussian surface with radius r > R. The expert mentions that the correct equation to use for the second part is ρr2/2Rε0 instead of ρr/2ε0.
Kaleem

Homework Statement

Consider a long, cylindrical charge distribution of radius R with uniform charge density ρ.

a) Using Gauss’s law, find the electric field at distance r from the axis, where r < R

b) Using Gauss’s law, find the electric field at distance r from the axis, where r > R

Homework Equations

∫EdA = Qinside/ε0
q = ρV
V = πr2L
A = 2πrL

The Attempt at a Solution

I've successfully solved the first part which is E = ρr/2ε0.

However for the second part I am confused as to whether or not I would need to use big R for the area, because we are now going at a distance out of the surface or to use little r.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaleem said:
I am confused as to whether or not I would need to use big R for the area, because we are now going at a distance out of the surface or to use little r.

i think you are going out to a point r where r >R ,
so your Gaussian surface will be a cylinder of radius r (r>R) enveloping the charged cylinder and you have to calculate the total normal outward flux through this imaginary /constructed Gaussian surface-

drvrm said:
i think you are going out to a point r where r >R ,
so your Gaussian surface will be a cylinder of radius r (r>R) enveloping the charged cylinder and you have to calculate the total normal outward flux through this imaginary /constructed Gaussian surface-

What I got from this method so far is ρr2/2Rε0

Kaleem said:
What I got from this method so far is ρr2/2Rε0

R is the radius of your cylindrical charge distribtion of volume charge density rho-
so in the gaussian surface you have charges inside which will be = rho x volume of the charged cylinder ;
the flux will be passing through cylindrical surface constructed of radius r
so there will be correction in your result

drvrm said:
R is the radius of your cylindrical charge distribtion of volume charge density rho-
so in the gaussian surface you have charges inside which will be = rho x volume of the charged cylinder ;
the flux will be passing through cylindrical surface constructed of radius r
so there will be correction in your result

I see exactly what you mean now, thank you!

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charge to the electric field it creates. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is Gauss's Law applied to long, cylindrical charge distributions?

When dealing with long, cylindrical charge distributions, Gauss's Law can be used to find the electric field at any point outside the cylinder by considering a Gaussian surface in the shape of a cylinder. The electric flux through this surface can then be calculated and equated to the charge enclosed, allowing for the determination of the electric field.

3. What is a Gaussian surface?

A Gaussian surface is an imaginary surface that is used in the application of Gauss's Law. It is chosen to simplify the calculation of the electric flux, and is usually selected to have symmetrical properties that make the calculations easier.

4. What is the significance of the permittivity of free space in Gauss's Law?

The permittivity of free space, denoted by ε0, is a physical constant that represents the ability of a vacuum to permit the spread of an electric field. It is a crucial value in the application of Gauss's Law, as it allows for the conversion of electric flux to electric field strength.

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied to other charge distributions?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to a variety of charge distributions, including spherical, cylindrical, and planar distributions. However, the shape of the Gaussian surface and the symmetry of the charge distribution may vary depending on the situation.