General pathline of a particle x at point epsilon at time ta

In summary, to prove the given equation, we use the definition of the pathline function and solve a linear system of differential equations using the matrix exponential function.
hqjb

Homework Statement

Show that the path line of a particle at point x currently, and point ξ at time τ is given by

ξ(τ) = x + (τ-t)Lx

Homework Equations

Pathline is solution to
dx/dt = u
x
(t)|t=τ = X

L
is the velocity gradient and is a 2nd order tensor Lij = dui/dxj

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to start, any hints or leads on how to begin proving this?
I know how to obtain pathlines if the velocity field is given in terms of x,y,z,t (via integration) but how do I integrate the equations to obtain a general equation with a velocity gradient?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for posting this question! Here is a possible approach to proving this equation:

1. Start by defining the pathline function ξ(τ) as the solution to the differential equation dx/dt = u, with the initial condition x(τ) = ξ. This means that at any given time τ, the particle's position x is given by ξ.

2. From the given information, we know that the velocity gradient L is a 2nd order tensor, which means it can be represented by a matrix. Let's denote this matrix as [L].

3. Using this notation, we can rewrite the differential equation as dx/dt = [L]x. This is a linear system of differential equations, which can be solved using the matrix exponential function.

4. The solution to this linear system is given by x(t) = e[t[L]]x(0), where x(0) is the initial position of the particle and e[t[L]] is the matrix exponential of [L].

5. Now, let's plug in the initial condition x(τ) = ξ. This gives us x(t) = e[t[L]]ξ.

6. Finally, we can rewrite this as ξ(t) = e[t[L]]ξ = ξ + (t-τ)Lξ, which is the same as the given equation ξ(τ) = x + (τ-t)Lx.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

1. What is a general pathline of a particle?

A general pathline of a particle refers to the trajectory or path that a particle follows over time. It shows the movement and position of the particle at each point in time.

2. How is a particle's position represented in a general pathline?

A particle's position is typically represented by a point on a graph, with time being the independent variable on the x-axis and the position of the particle on the y-axis.

3. What does the term "epsilon" represent in the general pathline equation?

Epsilon is a small value that is used to represent the infinitesimal displacement of a particle at a specific point in time. It is often denoted by the Greek letter ε.

4. What is the significance of "ta" in the general pathline equation?

Ta, also known as time tau, is the specific point in time at which the particle's position is being measured. It is used as a variable in the equation to represent a specific time interval.

5. How is a general pathline different from a streamline?

A general pathline shows the exact path that a particle follows over time, while a streamline represents the instantaneous direction of flow at a single point in time. In other words, a pathline shows the full history of a particle's movement, while a streamline only shows its direction at a specific moment.