Geodesic equation in new coordinates question

In summary, the geodesic equation transforms like a vector and there may be a problem with indices due to Einstein summation convention.
PsiPhi

Homework Statement

Suppose [tex]\bar{x}^{\mu}[/tex] is another set of coordinates with connection components [tex]\bar{\Gamma}^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]. Write down the geodesic equation in new coordinates.

Homework Equations

Using the geodesic equation: [tex]0 = \frac{d^{2}x^{\mu}}{ds^{2}} + \Gamma^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}\frac{dx^{\alpha}}{ds}\frac{dx^{\beta}}{ds}[/tex]
where [tex]s[/tex] represents the parameterised curve, i.e. [tex]x(s)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the question asks to move to a new coordinate system (i.e. bar over the terms). So, I began by identifying which terms will be effected by the transformation. Namely, the tangent vectors will transform according to
[tex]\frac{dx^{\mu}}{ds} = v^{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\nu}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\nu}}{ds}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{dx^{\alpha}}{ds} = v^{\alpha} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\theta}}{ds}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{dx^{\beta}}{ds} = v^{\beta} = \frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\phi}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\phi}}{ds}[/tex]
The metric connection will transform as
[tex]\Gamma^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{P}}\frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial \bar{x}^\phi}{\partial x^{\beta}} \bar{\Gamma}^{P}_{\theta\phi} - \frac{\partial ^{2}x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta} \partial \bar{x}^{\phi}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\phi}}{\partial x^{\beta}}[/tex]
I substituted these terms into the geodesic equation above, canceled out partial derivatives on numerators and denominators to obtain:
[tex]0 = \frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\nu}} \frac{d \bar{x}^{\nu}}{ds}\right) + \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{P}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\theta}}{ds}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\phi}}{ds} \bar{\Gamma}^{P}_{\theta\phi} - \frac{\partial ^{2}x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta} \partial \bar{x}^{\phi}} \frac{d \bar{x}^{\theta}}{ds} \frac{d \bar{x}^{\phi}}{ds}[/tex]

I was just wondering if my final equation for the geodesic equation in new coordinates [tex]\bar{x}^{\mu}[/tex] was correct?

I suspect a flaw in the mathematical logic when I cancel out the partial derivative in the numerators and denominators. Was this procedure allowed?
Also, I think there may be a problem with my indices with respect to Einstein summation convention.
Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsiPhi said:

Homework Statement

Suppose [tex]\bar{x}^{\mu}[/tex] is another set of coordinates with connection components [tex]\bar{\Gamma}^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]. Write down the geodesic equation in new coordinates.

Homework Equations

Using the geodesic equation: [tex]0 = \frac{d^{2}x^{\mu}}{ds^{2}} + \Gamma^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}\frac{dx^{\alpha}}{ds}\frac{dx^{\beta}}{ds}[/tex]
where [tex]s[/tex] represents the parameterised curve, i.e. [tex]x(s)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the question asks to move to a new coordinate system (i.e. bar over the terms). So, I began by identifying which terms will be effected by the transformation. Namely, the tangent vectors will transform according to
[tex]\frac{dx^{\mu}}{ds} = v^{\mu} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\nu}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\nu}}{ds}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{dx^{\alpha}}{ds} = v^{\alpha} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\theta}}{ds}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{dx^{\beta}}{ds} = v^{\beta} = \frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\phi}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\phi}}{ds}[/tex]
The metric connection will transform as
[tex]\Gamma^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta} = \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{P}}\frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial \bar{x}^\phi}{\partial x^{\beta}} \bar{\Gamma}^{P}_{\theta\phi} - \frac{\partial ^{2}x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta} \partial \bar{x}^{\phi}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\phi}}{\partial x^{\beta}}[/tex]
I substituted these terms into the geodesic equation above, canceled out partial derivatives on numerators and denominators to obtain:
[tex]0 = \frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\nu}} \frac{d \bar{x}^{\nu}}{ds}\right) + \frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{P}}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\theta}}{ds}\frac{d \bar{x}^{\phi}}{ds} \bar{\Gamma}^{P}_{\theta\phi} - \frac{\partial ^{2}x^{\mu}}{\partial \bar{x}^{\theta} \partial \bar{x}^{\phi}} \frac{d \bar{x}^{\theta}}{ds} \frac{d \bar{x}^{\phi}}{ds}[/tex]

I was just wondering if my final equation for the geodesic equation in new coordinates [tex]\bar{x}^{\mu}[/tex] was correct?

I suspect a flaw in the mathematical logic when I cancel out the partial derivative in the numerators and denominators. Was this procedure allowed?
Also, I think there may be a problem with my indices with respect to Einstein summation convention.
Thoughts?

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. If you have it available, look at page 102 of Weinberg's "Gravitation and Cosmology. There he shows that the geodesic equation transforms like a vector.

Cheers, AEM.

I do have Weinberg's text, I will have a look.

Related to Geodesic equation in new coordinates question

1. What is the geodesic equation?

The geodesic equation is a mathematical expression that describes the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, also known as a geodesic. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and the initial position and velocity of an object traveling along the geodesic.

2. How is the geodesic equation used in new coordinates?

In new coordinates, the geodesic equation is used to find the shortest path between two points on a curved surface by transforming the coordinates into a new system. This allows for a more efficient and simplified calculation of the geodesic.

3. What are the benefits of using the geodesic equation in new coordinates?

Using the geodesic equation in new coordinates can simplify the calculations and make it easier to find the shortest path on a curved surface. It also allows for a more general and flexible approach, as different coordinate systems can be used to describe the same surface.

4. Is the geodesic equation applicable to all types of curved surfaces?

Yes, the geodesic equation is a universal mathematical expression that can be applied to any type of curved surface, whether it is 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering to study the motion of objects on curved surfaces.

5. What are some real-world applications of the geodesic equation in new coordinates?

The geodesic equation in new coordinates has many practical applications, including navigation systems, satellite orbits, and computer graphics. It is also used in fields such as cosmology to study the curvature of the universe and in general relativity to describe the motion of objects in a gravitational field.