Geometry - Chord of a circle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the value of a chord and a tangential line in a given diagram. The participants suggest using the circle radius and the area of a trapezoid to find the length of the chord, as well as utilizing isomorphic triangles and the Pythagorean theorem. The final solution involves using the tangent-chord theorem and calculating the length of the chord to be approximately 3.82. The conversation also mentions the importance of clear and scientific questions, as well as making and citing any corrections.
ChimM

Homework Statement

Attached here is a diagram. My questions are, how to compute for the value of the chord? How to compute for the value of the tangential line? Please help.. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• CHORD LINE.JPG
    CHORD LINE.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, the template got lost. Programming error or accidental deletion? Here it is again: :)

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

Also, you want to ask clear questions. "Value of a chord" is not very scientific: Economic value ? Color value ? In this case you want the length.
Seems to me that one needs the circle radius also to make sense of this ?

Sorry about the template.

Homework Statement

Problem statement: [/B]
Find the value of the chord (blue line) and at the same time the value of the tangential line.

Given data:
Red line = 6
Green Line = 3
Radius of the Circle = 2

Homework Equations

I don't know any equations that can solve the problem :(

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the area of a trapezoid. But too many unknown.

Tangent.jpg

This help ? I see a way to calculate distance top left to center cicle, and then top left to tangent point.
And then there are isomorphic triangles to be found that can help us further...

BvU said:
View attachment 75074
This help ? I see a way to calculate distance top left to center cicle, and then top left to tangent point.

From there, can I use pythagorean theorem to solve the value of the tangential line? :)

value being length, equation, whatever: yes, I should think so. Didn't work it all out in detail: your job. Finding a possible smarter way is also your job/challenge :)

BvU said:
value being length, equation, whatever: yes, I should think so. Didn't work it all out in detail: your job. Finding a possible smarter way is also your job/challenge :)
Can you give me hints on how can I relate the length of the tangent line to the chord? Pleaseee. Thank you :)

Tangent2.jpg

Draw AD, calculate |AD|, calculate |AB| .
Look at isomorphic triangles ACE and DCE
then DCE and BCF
Looks like a lot of work. You do some too.

BvU said:
View attachment 75076
Draw AD, calculate |AD|, calculate |AB| .
then DCE and BCF
Looks like a lot of work. You do some too.

Hmm.. Since, the tangent line and Radius is perpendicular, then it creates a 90degrees. The other side is also 90degrees, would it be right if I use 45degrees for the chord line and the radius? :)

More questions, no work done yet. What about AD and AB?

BvU said:

Hmmm ...
It seems that DCE isn't a triangle at all, since the 3 points are collinear!

Likes ChimM
BvU said:
View attachment 75074

There are several assumptions made here:
1) The black lines are all tangent to the circle
2) The vertical tangent line, the red line, and the blue line are all parallel to each other
3) The green lines are perpendicular to the vertical tangent line
4) The red line bisects both green lines
5) The midpoint of the red line is collinear with the center of the circle and the tangent point of the vertical tangent line.

By "value of the tangent line," I assume he means the length of a segment of the vertical tangent line between the points where it intersects the other 2 tangent lines?
Also, the OP doesn't specify which tangent line

SSWheels said:
Hmmm ...
It seems that DCE isn't a triangle at all, since the 3 points are collinear!
Yes, sorry: DCB

Any results yet from the original poster ?

BvU said:
Yes, sorry: DCB

Any results yet from the original poster ?

I used the tangent-chord theorem to get the length of the chord. Since 2 tangent lines created the chord, it formed a triangle. The chord as the base and the radius as the legs. As shown at the attached picture.

I used sine(45) to get the value of h. Sine 45 × 2 =h
h = 1.41
r - h = 2 - 1.41 = 0.59

Using pythagorean theorem:
2 = sqrt (X^2 + 0.59^2)
X = 1.91 = Half of the chord

2x = whole chord
2 × 1.91 = 3.82

Therefore, length of the chord is 3.82.

Please cite your corrections. Thank you :)

Attachments

• 1415323396123.jpg
    1415323396123.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 441
The 45 degrees is not correct. I don't understand the reasoning.

"Draw AD, calculate |AD|, calculate |AB| .
Look at isomorphic triangles ACE and DCB "

What did you get for |AD|, |AB| ? Angle EAC ? Angle DCB ? Angle DBF ?

1. What is a chord of a circle?

A chord of a circle is a straight line segment that connects two points on the circle's circumference.

2. How is the length of a chord determined?

The length of a chord can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the chord is equal to the difference between the square of the radius and the square of the distance between the center of the circle and the midpoint of the chord.

3. What is the relationship between a chord and a diameter?

A diameter is a chord that passes through the center of the circle, dividing it into two equal halves. The length of a diameter is always twice the length of any other chord that shares the same endpoints.

4. Can a chord be longer than the diameter of a circle?

No, a chord cannot be longer than the diameter of a circle. In fact, the longest chord possible in a circle is the diameter itself.

5. How does the location of a chord affect its length?

The length of a chord is affected by its location in relation to the center of the circle. The closer the chord is to the center, the shorter its length will be. Conversely, the further the chord is from the center, the longer its length will be.