Get a Clue: Understanding the Limit of a Series

In summary, the limit of a series is the value that the series approaches as the number of terms increases towards infinity. It can be calculated using various methods such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test. Understanding the limit of a series is important in many fields and it relates to the concept of convergence, where a convergent series has a finite limit while a divergent series does not. The limit of a series can be negative, imaginary, or complex, depending on the behavior and values of its terms. It is important to consider the real and imaginary components separately when dealing with complex limits.
Alex_Neof

Homework Statement

I'm reading a derivation and there is a step where the writer goes from:

## \sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-n\beta E_0}##

to:

## \frac {1} {(1-e^{-\beta E_0})}.##

I can't see how they did this.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I think it just involves equation manipulation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone give me a clue, so I can attempt this problem?

Kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex_Neof said:

Homework Statement

I'm reading a derivation and there is a step where the writer goes from:

## \sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-n\beta E_0}##

to:

## \frac {1} {(1-e^{-\beta E_0})}.##

I can't see how they did this.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I think it just involves equation manipulation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone give me a clue, so I can attempt this problem?

Kind regards.
This is a geometric series.

Questions about infinite series are normally covered in calculus courses, so I moved this thread from the Precalc section.

Likes Alex_Neof
think ##\frac{a}{1-r}##

Likes Alex_Neof
Cheers guys. I found online that "the limit of a geometric series is fully understood and depends only on the position of the number x on the real line":

So for my case, if ##|x|\lt1,##

then ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^{n}= \frac{1} {1-x}. ##

So,

##\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-n\beta E_0} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (e^{-\beta E_0})^n ##

##\Rightarrow \frac {1} {1-e^{-\beta E_0}}##

Alex_Neof said:
Cheers guys. I found online that "the limit of a geometric series is fully understood and depends only on the position of the number x on the real line":

So for my case, if ##|x|\lt1,##

then ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^{n}= \frac{1} {1-x}. ##

So,

##\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-n\beta E_0} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (e^{-\beta E_0})^n ##

##\Rightarrow \frac {1} {1-e^{-\beta E_0}}##
Although it looks very fancy, the last line should be ##= \frac {1} {1-e^{-\beta E_0}}##. The implication arrow (##\Rightarrow##) is used to show that one statement implies the following statement. What you have instead are equal expressions.

Likes Alex_Neof

Related to Get a Clue: Understanding the Limit of a Series

1. What is meant by the limit of a series?

The limit of a series is the value that a series approaches as the number of terms increases towards infinity. It represents the sum of all the terms in the series, if the series were to continue indefinitely.

2. How do you calculate the limit of a series?

The limit of a series can be calculated using various methods, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases towards infinity.

3. What is the significance of understanding the limit of a series?

Understanding the limit of a series is crucial in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in calculus, physics, and statistics. It allows us to determine the behavior of a series and make predictions about its future values.

4. How does the limit of a series relate to the concept of convergence?

A series is said to be convergent if its limit exists and is a finite value. This means that the series approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases towards infinity. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the series is said to be divergent.

5. Can the limit of a series be negative or imaginary?

Yes, the limit of a series can be negative, imaginary, or even complex. This depends on the behavior of the series and the values of its terms. It is important to consider the real and imaginary components separately when dealing with complex limits.