Get Recognition for Your Method: Should I Get a Patent?

• Thread starter deep838
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patent
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining recognition for a new method and whether or not a patent should be pursued. The requirements for obtaining a patent are mentioned, as well as the option of publishing the method in a journal. The conversation also mentions that math cannot be patented on its own and that the discovered method may not meet the criteria for a patent. The conversation concludes with the individual expressing happiness for discovering the method and asking for clarification on its usefulness and originality.
deep838
What should I do in order to get a recognition for a method I came up with?
Should I get a patent? If yes, then how?
If no, then what should I do to tell the world that I came up with the method?

Physics news on Phys.org
deep838 said:
What should I do in order to get a recognition for a method I came up with?
Should I get a patent? If yes, then how?
If no, then what should I do to tell the world that I came up with the method?
A patent is an exclusive right to a product or process (method) that must fulfill three requirements. It must be 1) new, 2) useful, and 3) non-obvious. New means that it has not been done before, useful means that it has utility, and non-obvious means that it no current practitioner would think of it or develop it independently given the state-of-the-art.

When obtaining a patent, one must perform a review of the background to be sure that the product or process has not been described previously. One would also have to file patents in various jurisdictions.

If one does not seek a patent, one can publish one's method in an appropriate journal.

deep838 said:
Ok... my method is of squaring a number described here at: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4326115#post4326115
It does meet the criteria you mentioned. Which journals would be "appropriate"? Where should I go to file a patent? the court?

It is very nice that you discovered such a trick. You should feel proud.
That said, no journal is going to be interested and there is no way to patent your discovery. Just feel happy that you discovered something nice.

I'm afraid it fails all three criteria: it's not new, it's not useful, and it's obvious.

Well I am happy that I did find it, but everyone I asked, said that they never heard of this method... so I thought it was a new one! sorry for the trouble. But thanks anyway for your replies. :) But how can you clain that its not useful and that its obvious? Its a far better way than doing (a+b)^2 and if it had been obvious, then at least some of the people I asked should have known about it! Btw I'd like to know, who found this method beforehand?

1. What is a patent and why should I get one?

A patent is a legal document that gives an inventor the exclusive rights to make, use, and sell their invention for a certain period of time. Getting a patent can protect your method from being used or copied by others, allowing you to profit from your invention and establish yourself as the creator.

2. How do I know if my method is eligible for a patent?

To be eligible for a patent, your method must be new, useful, and non-obvious. This means it cannot have been previously patented or publicly disclosed, it must have a practical application, and it must not be an obvious solution to a problem. It is recommended to consult with a patent attorney to determine if your method meets these criteria.

3. Can I still get a patent if I have already published my method?

Yes, it is possible to get a patent even if your method has been published. However, you must apply for a patent within one year of the publication date. After that, your method may not be eligible for a patent.

4. How long does the patent process take?

The patent process can take several years, with an average of 2-3 years for a patent to be granted. This can vary depending on the complexity of your method and the backlog at the patent office. It is important to file for a patent as soon as possible to begin the process.

5. Do I need a lawyer to file for a patent?

While it is not required, it is highly recommended to seek the help of a patent attorney when filing for a patent. They have the expertise and knowledge to navigate the complex patent process and increase your chances of successfully obtaining a patent for your method.