Getting Started with Solar System Imaging - Comments

In summary, in this conversation, Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post on getting started with solar system imaging. Some tips mentioned include timing, as certain times are better for capturing images of SSOs, and the phases of the planets, which can be seen at opposition for Mars and near conjunction for the inner planets. The Sun's activity also goes through 10-year cycles called solar cycles. A comment was made to clarify the statement about the outer planets not going through significant phases like the inner planets and the moon. Dave also pointed out the importance of considering time of day and date when photographing objects in the sky.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Getting Started with Solar System Imaging
solarimaging.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Astronomy news on Phys.org
overall good :smile:
well done

just a couple of comments

When to Image:
Some times are better than others for capturing images of SSOs. The planets go through phases like the moon and you will want to image them when they are fully illuminated. This occurs at opposition for Mars and the outer planets and near conjunction for the inner planets.
Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/getting-started-solar-system-imaging/

You could make your above statement a little clearer.
The outer planets don't go through significant phases like the inner planets and the moon do
A changing from gibbous to full phase can reasonably easily be detected for Mars but for Jupiter and beyond
most observers wouldn't see any change

The Sun’s activity goes through 10 year cycles called solar cycles.
Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/getting-started-solar-system-imaging/

the small solar cycle is 11 years :smile:
(the full one is 22 years)Dave

Likes sophiecentaur and Greg Bernhardt
davenn said:
overall good :smile:
well done

just a couple of comments

When to Image:
Some times are better than others for capturing images of SSOs. The planets go through phases like the moon and you will want to image them when they are fully illuminated. This occurs at opposition for Mars and the outer planets and near conjunction for the inner planets.

You could make your above statement a little clearer.
The outer planets don't go through significant phases like the inner planets and the moon do
A changing from gibbous to full phase can reasonably easily be detected for Mars but for Jupiter and beyond
most observers wouldn't see any change

The Sun’s activity goes through 10 year cycles called solar cycles.

the small solar cycle is 11 years :smile:
(the full one is 22 years)Dave
Thanks davenn, Thank you for pointing this out! I will fix and clarify these points.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and davenn
I think it's interesting how time of day/night and date all factor in when the optimal time to photograph something in the sky. I wouldn't have thought to factor it.

Likes NFuller

1. What is solar system imaging?

Solar system imaging is the process of capturing images of the planets, moons, and other objects within our solar system using a telescope and camera. This allows us to study and observe these celestial bodies in more detail.

2. What equipment do I need for solar system imaging?

You will need a telescope with a motorized mount, a camera or smartphone with a high-resolution sensor, and specialized imaging software. It is also recommended to have a laptop or computer for processing and storing the images.

3. How do I choose the right telescope for solar system imaging?

The most important factor in choosing a telescope for solar system imaging is its aperture, which determines the amount of light it can gather. A larger aperture will result in sharper and more detailed images. It is also important to consider the telescope's focal length and tracking capabilities.

4. Can I take solar system images from a light-polluted area?

Yes, it is possible to take solar system images from light-polluted areas, but the quality of the images will be affected. To minimize light pollution, it is recommended to use a narrowband filter and image during the darkest hours of the night.

5. How do I process and edit my solar system images?

There are various software programs available for processing and editing solar system images, such as RegiStax, AutoStakkert, and Photoshop. These programs allow you to stack and align multiple images, adjust color and contrast, and enhance fine details in your images.