Glashow resonance (UHE neutrinos)

In summary, the conversation discusses the Glashow resonance, which allows for the resonant formation of W- particles when ultra-high energy electron anti-neutrinos interact with electrons. This phenomenon occurs at energies of 6.3 PeV, which is much higher than the expected energy of the W- particle. However, this can be explained by considering energy and momentum conservation. The initial 4-momentum of the particles involved can be expressed as P_{in} = \begin{pmatrix} E_\nu + m_e \\ \vec{p}_\nu \end{pmatrix}, and the square of this is equal to M_W^2.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I'm obviously studying about neutrinos lately...

So, I wanted to ask about the Glashow resonance. I don't understand what they mean when saying:
Ultra-high energy electron anti-neutrinos allow the resonant formation of W− in their interactions with electrons, at 6.3 PeV. This process, known as the Glashow resonance

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1108.3163v2.pdf (sec.2)

Unfortunately I don't have access in the refs.

If I understand this correctly, it says that the intermediate W-boson is a real particle, right? But if that's true, I don't understand why this appears at PeV energies and not energies ~[itex]M_W[/itex]. Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to consider energy and momentum conservation at the same time. An 80 GeV neutrino with an electron at rest has a CMS energy way lower than 80 GeV.

So I should say that the initial 4-momentum is:
[itex]P_{in} = \begin{pmatrix} E_\nu + m_e \\ \vec{p}_\nu \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and that its square =[itex]M_W^2[/itex]?

Yes, that works fine :) I think I need to regain my form...

ChrisVer said:
So I should say that the initial 4-momentum is:
[itex]P_{in} = \begin{pmatrix} E_\nu + m_e \\ \vec{p}_\nu \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and that its square =[itex]M_W^2[/itex]?

Or even simpler:
$$
M_W^2=
(p_e + p_\nu)^2 = m_e^2 + m_\nu^2 + 2p_e\cdot p_\nu \simeq 2m_e E_\nu
$$
Actually summing it first is just extra work.

Related to Glashow resonance (UHE neutrinos)

What is Glashow resonance?

Glashow resonance is a phenomenon in particle physics where an ultra-high energy (UHE) neutrino interacts with an electron in the Earth's crust to produce a W boson, resulting in a distinct signature of events known as the Glashow resonance peak.

Why is Glashow resonance important?

Glashow resonance is important because it allows scientists to study the properties of UHE neutrinos, which are some of the most elusive and high-energy particles in the universe. This can provide valuable insights into astrophysical phenomena, such as the origins of cosmic rays.

How is Glashow resonance detected?

Glashow resonance is detected using large-scale detectors, such as the IceCube Neutrino Observatory in Antarctica. These detectors are able to measure the Cherenkov radiation produced when the W boson decays, providing evidence for the presence of a UHE neutrino.

What are the potential sources of UHE neutrinos?

There are several potential sources of UHE neutrinos, including active galactic nuclei, gamma-ray bursts, and supernovae. However, the exact sources and mechanisms for producing these high-energy neutrinos are still not fully understood.

What does the study of Glashow resonance reveal about the nature of neutrinos?

The study of Glashow resonance has revealed important information about the properties of neutrinos, such as their mass and flavor oscillations. It has also provided evidence for the existence of UHE neutrinos and their interactions with other particles, furthering our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.