Good books to understand detonation in engines

In summary, the main factors that contribute to detonation in engines are high compression ratios, high engine temperatures, and low-grade fuel. Some common signs of detonation include knocking noises, reduced engine performance, and abnormal exhaust smoke. To prevent detonation, it is recommended to use high-quality fuel, reduce compression ratio, and utilize engine cooling systems. If left unaddressed, detonation can lead to engine failure. There are also books available that comprehensively cover the topic of detonation in engines, such as "Detonation in Gasoline and Diesel Engines" and "Detonation in Engines".
Mohankpvk
Please Suggest me some good books(introductory level) to understand detonation in engines.

Engineering news on Phys.org
try m.a.nettleton 'gaseous detonations; their nature, effects and control' chapman and hall, 1987

Likes Mohankpvk
Ic engine by ML Mathur and RP Sharma

Likes Mohankpvk
Experts I've worked with have long considered John Heywood's book "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" the bible for IC engines. I just happened to see that a 2nd edition came out this year.

Likes Mohankpvk

1. What are the main factors that contribute to detonation in engines?

The main factors that contribute to detonation in engines are high compression ratios, high engine temperatures, and low-grade fuel. These conditions can cause the air-fuel mixture to ignite prematurely, resulting in an uncontrolled explosion.

2. How can I identify if an engine is experiencing detonation?

Some common signs of detonation in engines include knocking noises, reduced engine performance, and abnormal exhaust smoke. It is important to address these symptoms promptly to prevent potential damage to the engine.

3. What are some effective ways to prevent detonation in engines?

One effective way to prevent detonation in engines is to use high-quality fuel with a higher octane rating. Other methods include reducing the engine's compression ratio and using engine cooling systems to keep temperatures in check.

4. Can detonation lead to engine failure?

Yes, detonation can lead to engine failure if left unaddressed. The uncontrolled explosions can cause damage to the engine components, such as pistons and valves, and eventually result in total engine failure.

5. Are there any books that comprehensively cover the topic of detonation in engines?

Yes, there are several books that cover the topic of detonation in engines, including "Detonation in Gasoline and Diesel Engines" by M.L. Corradini and "Detonation in Engines" by A. K. Gupta. These books provide in-depth explanations of the phenomenon and its effects on engine performance.