Good universities for mathematical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding good universities for pursuing masters/phds in mathematical physics in both America and Europe. The speaker suggests narrowing down the search by considering factors such as language proficiency, research interests, and financial support. They also recommend looking into individual researchers and their connections with other institutions.
PabloAMC
Hi,
I would like to know what universities are good at Mathematical Physics for pursuing masters/phds, both in America and Europe.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
pasmith said:
Well, thanks. Anyway I was asking for not-so-obvious places?. Or do you mean that Cambridge is specially good in mathematical physics compared with the level of their other fields?

Honestly, if you want ideas then you're going to have to narrow your ideas down. You ask for America and Europe - there are hundreds and hundreds of good universities. WHat is it you exactly want to go into when it comes to Mathematical Physics?

Larry Gopnik said:
Honestly, if you want ideas then you're going to have to narrow your ideas down. You ask for America and Europe - there are hundreds and hundreds of good universities. WHat is it you exactly want to go into when it comes to Mathematical Physics?
I would really like to go into a research career, either in an university or research institution. I mean, in general I would like doing research at this field and I would be happy if being able to do a living of it. But I think it could help achiving this if I chose a good university to start

No. I mean what topic? What topic grabbed/grabs you as an undergraduate? When you're going through ArXiv or wherever you read the latest papers from, what sparks your imagination and interest? Most of the upper to middle band universities with a Physics department do Mathematical Physics of sorts. Think of someway to narrow down your search.

This is how I've cut down my decisions, I'm not sure if it'll be usful to you but I'll give it a shot -

1) I'm British, I speak English fluently so can pretty much go anywhere in the world so that doesn't help the cutting down of where I want to go
2) I speak Yiddish fluently, therefore I can understand Germanic languages very well and can pick them up with ease - therefore I will be comfortable living in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Holland etc so I look at unviversities in those areas. I also speak Danish relativily well so I'd be okay with going to a Nordic country.I am bad with Romance and Cyrillic languages so therefore those countries are out - they may have good universities - but not being able to deal in the language means I will find it difficult to live there, even if my working environment is in English.
3) I know what sort of Physics I want to go into, so I have manually gone through a list of about 150 universities, (I made a spreadsheet from trawling through the internet) and have seen if they offer this sort of research of which I want to do, if not - cross them off the list
4) What sort of connections do these universities have to other Unis and institutions? Are they a member of certain international research groups?
5) How is the department? Is it more laid-back, is it more relaxed (in terms of Hierachy - not research) or is it more full on?
6) Look at the indiviual researchers in the department you want to go, are there any possible supervisors there?
7) Pay, scholarships, money - a big one. What do they offer PhD students financial wise?

From Physics I have most enjoyed classic and quantum mechanics, and general relativity, and from the few courses of mathematics I got, my favourite was tensorial algebra, I really liked it.
Larry Gopnik said:
This is how I've cut down my decisions, I'm not sure if it'll be usful to you but I'll give it a shot -

1) I'm British, I speak English fluently so can pretty much go anywhere in the world so that doesn't help the cutting down of where I want to go
2) I speak Yiddish fluently, therefore I can understand Germanic languages very well and can pick them up with ease - therefore I will be comfortable living in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Holland etc so I look at unviversities in those areas. I also speak Danish relativily well so I'd be okay with going to a Nordic country.I am bad with Romance and Cyrillic languages so therefore those countries are out - they may have good universities - but not being able to deal in the language means I will find it difficult to live there, even if my working environment is in English.
3) I know what sort of Physics I want to go into, so I have manually gone through a list of about 150 universities, (I made a spreadsheet from trawling through the internet) and have seen if they offer this sort of research of which I want to do, if not - cross them off the list
4) What sort of connections do these universities have to other Unis and institutions? Are they a member of certain international research groups?
5) How is the department? Is it more laid-back, is it more relaxed (in terms of Hierachy - not research) or is it more full on?
6) Look at the indiviual researchers in the department you want to go, are there any possible supervisors there?
7) Pay, scholarships, money - a big one. What do they offer PhD students financial wise?
This seems very interesting, really. I will follow the recomendations. It is a great advice
Thanks a lot

1. What are the top universities for studying mathematical physics?

Some of the top universities for studying mathematical physics include MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Princeton, and University of Cambridge.

2. What makes a university good for mathematical physics?

A good university for mathematical physics should have a strong mathematics and physics department, with faculty who specialize in both fields. It should also offer a wide range of courses in both mathematics and physics, as well as opportunities for research and collaboration with other students and faculty.

3. Are there any specific programs or courses that are important for studying mathematical physics?

Yes, some important programs or courses for studying mathematical physics include advanced calculus, differential equations, mathematical analysis, group theory, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

4. How important is the faculty-to-student ratio in choosing a university for mathematical physics?

The faculty-to-student ratio can be an important factor in choosing a university for mathematical physics, as it can impact the amount of individual attention and support a student receives. However, it is not the only factor to consider, as a smaller ratio does not necessarily guarantee a better education.

5. Are there any top universities for mathematical physics outside of the United States?

Yes, there are several top universities for mathematical physics outside of the United States, including University of Oxford, ETH Zurich, University of Tokyo, and University of Toronto. It is important to research and consider universities from different countries when looking for the best program for your specific interests and goals.