Graduate Research topic involving QFT and General Relativity

In summary: It is not expected that you will research the forefront of your field for your Masters degree. In summary, for a Masters degree in Physics, you must choose a research topic and find an advisor. This can be a challenging task as you must find a topic that interests you and a compatible advisor. A good starting point is to look at the research interests of faculty members in your department and schedule meetings with potential advisors to discuss possible topics. Keep in mind that for a Masters degree, the research will not be at the forefront of your field, but rather to prepare you for further research at the PhD level.
leo.
Last year I finished the undergraduate course in Mathematical Physics. This year, more precisely in March, I'm going to start the graduate course to acquire a master's degree in Physics.

Now, for this course I must choose a research topic and find an advisor. This is being a little bit complicated, because I don't have a much precise idea of the research topic. And certainly this influences the choice of the advisor, after all, I can't expect to get a research done in General Relativity if the advisor just works with thermodynamics for example and has no interest in General Relativity.

I just have one rough idea of what I would like to work with. Indeed, I would like to work both with QFT, more precisely the Standard Model, and General Relativity. I thought perhaps on something involving black holes, but I don't have much idea.

Indeed, picking the research topic and the advisor is being somewhat a little difficult. And of course I'm being careful with this, because after all, this will be a 2 year research which will grant me a master's degree, so it must be really something I find worth the job, and with a good advisor.

What would be some research topics involving QFT, the Standard Model and General Relativity? I'm interested really in some Physics research topic, not something related to the study of the mathematical structure of the theory.

And then how should I pick the advisor? I mean, what should be his research area like to be a good advisor for something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
To repeat a bit what you yourself have said, it would be a waste of time for any of us to suggest topics for you to do if you can't find the faculty member to supervise the work.

Ask around with other students to figure out which professor is doing what. Then make a short list of faculty members that you might want to talk to. Then, make appointments to talk to each of them, telling that explicitly that you are trying to figure out what possible topics that you might be able to work with them.

This is a 2-way street. BOTH parties must be in sync and agree to it. It is why a face-to-face discussion is necessary. After all, you also need to figure out if you both a compatible and can get along. Read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/choosing-a-research-area-and-an-advisor/

Zz.

Use your University's website, navigate through your potential advisor's research interests until you find somethink you like. There is no other way we can help you. As ZapperZ said above, it is a waste of time to suggest various topics without knowing the research done in your department.

QFT and GR Research is PhD level. A Masters degree is just to get you ready to do that.

1. What is the connection between quantum field theory (QFT) and general relativity?

The connection between QFT and general relativity lies in their attempt to explain the fundamental nature of the universe at the smallest and largest scales, respectively. QFT deals with the behavior of particles and their interactions at the quantum level, while general relativity explains the behavior of large-scale gravitational phenomena. Both theories are necessary for a complete understanding of the universe, and attempts have been made to reconcile them into a single unified theory.

2. How is QFT used in the study of general relativity?

QFT is used in the study of general relativity through the concept of quantum gravity. This is an attempt to merge the principles of QFT and general relativity to explain the behavior of gravity at a quantum level. QFT techniques have also been applied to the study of black holes and the behavior of matter in extreme gravitational fields.

3. What are some current research topics involving QFT and general relativity?

Some current research topics in this field include the search for a unified theory of quantum gravity, the study of quantum entanglement in black holes, and the application of QFT techniques to the study of cosmology and the early universe. Other areas of interest include the quantum information theory of gravity and the behavior of matter in extreme astrophysical environments.

4. What are the challenges in combining QFT and general relativity into a single theory?

One of the main challenges in combining QFT and general relativity is the fundamental differences between the two theories. QFT operates on a microscopic scale and describes the behavior of matter and energy, while general relativity deals with the macroscopic behavior of gravity and spacetime. Finding a way to reconcile these two theories and their different mathematical frameworks is a major obstacle in the development of a unified theory.

5. How can the study of QFT and general relativity benefit our understanding of the universe?

The study of QFT and general relativity has the potential to greatly enhance our understanding of the universe by providing a more complete and unified picture of its fundamental nature. A successful theory of quantum gravity would help us better understand the behavior of gravity in extreme environments, such as the early universe or black holes. It could also provide insights into other mysterious phenomena, such as dark matter and dark energy, which are currently not fully understood by either QFT or general relativity alone.