Grand Canonical Partition Function and Adsorption Statistics

In summary, the conversation discusses a two dimensional surface on a three dimensional crystal with M positions for adsorbing particles. The surface is in diffusive and thermal equilibrium with a gas of temperature T and chemical potential μ, and the energy and number of adsorbed particles can vary. The conversation then discusses calculating the grand canonical partition functions for one adsorption position and for the entire surface, as well as the chance of adsorption at one position. The correct solution for \mathcal{Z_1} is obtained by taking N = 0 for no particle absorbed and N = 1 for one particle absorbed, resulting in \mathcal{Z_1} = e^0 + e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)}.
Arjani

Homework Statement

Consider a two dimensional surface on a three dimensional crystal. This surface has M positions that can adsorb particles, each of which can bind one particle only and an adsorption does not affect the adsorption on nearby sites. An adsorbed particle has energy ε and an empty site has energy 0.

(Question A and B come here, but I could answer those.)

The surface is now considered to be in diffusive and thermal equilibrium with a gas of temperature T and chemical potential μ, so the energy E and the number of adsorbed particles can now vary.

c) Calculate the grand canonical partitition function [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} (T, \mu)[/itex] of one adsorption position and then the grand canonical partition function for the entire surface [itex]\mathcal{Z_M} (T, \mu)[/itex].

d) Calculate the chance [itex]P(T,\mu)[/itex] that one adsorption position is taken.

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathcal{Z} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu N_i - E_i)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So for [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} (T, \mu)[/itex], [itex]N = 1[/itex] and [itex]E_i = 0[/itex] or [itex]E_i = \epsilon[/itex] and so

[tex]\mathcal{Z_1} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu - E_i)} = e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)} + e^{\beta(\mu - 0)} = e^{\beta \mu}(e^{-\beta \epsilon} + 1)[/tex]

This is my solution. However, I read that you have to take [itex]N = 0[/itex] for [itex]E_i = 0[/itex] and [itex]N = 1[/itex] for [itex]E_i = \epsilon[/itex], resulting in [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} = e^0 + e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)}[/itex], so I'm confused. What is correct here?

As for [itex]\mathcal{Z_M}[/itex], I'm not sure how to go about that. Can you do something like this?

[itex]\mathcal{Z_M} = \sum_{i=0}^{M} e^{\beta N_i} \sum_{i=0}^{\epsilon} e^{- \beta E_i}[/itex]

d) This is simply [itex]P = \frac{e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)}}{\mathcal{Z_1}}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arjani said:

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathcal{Z} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu N_i - E_i)}[/itex]

Think about what the summation index is here.

The Attempt at a Solution

So for [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} (T, \mu)[/itex], [itex]N = 1[/itex] and [itex]E_i = 0[/itex] or [itex]E_i = \epsilon[/itex] and so

[tex]\mathcal{Z_1} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu - E_i)} = e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)} + e^{\beta(\mu - 0)} = e^{\beta \mu}(e^{-\beta \epsilon} + 1)[/tex]

This is my solution. However, I read that you have to take [itex]N = 0[/itex] for [itex]E_i = 0[/itex] and [itex]N = 1[/itex] for [itex]E_i = \epsilon[/itex], resulting in [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} = e^0 + e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)}[/itex], so I'm confused. What is correct here?

The summation is over all allowed values of ##N##, namely ##N = 0## for no particle absorbed at the site and ##N = 1## for one particle absorbed at the site. You didn't quite handle the ##N_i=0## case correctly in the expression [itex]\mathcal{Z} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu N_i - E_i)}[/itex]. You should get the result that you stated from your reading.

1. What is the Grand Partition Function?

The Grand Partition Function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles in a thermodynamic system that is in equilibrium with a reservoir. It is a combination of the Partition Function and the Chemical Potential, and it takes into account both the energy and particle number of a system.

2. How is the Grand Partition Function used in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, the Grand Partition Function is used to calculate the probability of a given energy and particle number distribution in a system. It allows us to determine the equilibrium state of a system and to predict how it will change in response to changes in temperature, pressure, or chemical potential.

3. What is the relationship between the Grand Partition Function and the Partition Function?

The Grand Partition Function is related to the Partition Function through the chemical potential, which takes into account the number of particles in a system. While the Partition Function only considers the energy of a system, the Grand Partition Function also considers the particle number, making it a more comprehensive tool for studying thermodynamic systems.

4. How is the Grand Partition Function calculated?

The Grand Partition Function is calculated by taking the product of the Partition Function and the exponential of the chemical potential multiplied by the number of particles in the system. This can be expressed as Z = Σe^(μN)/N!, where Z is the Grand Partition Function, μ is the chemical potential, and N is the number of particles in the system.

5. What is the significance of the Grand Partition Function in thermodynamics?

The Grand Partition Function is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics as it allows us to describe and predict the behavior of systems in equilibrium. It provides a link between the microscopic and macroscopic properties of a system, allowing us to understand the statistical distribution of particles and their energies. It is also a useful tool for calculating thermodynamic quantities, such as internal energy, entropy, and free energy, of a system.