Graph f(x)=(1/8)x^3: Explanation & Sketch

• Thread starter 404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the original graph of x^3 was too wide, so the answer book suggested doubling the value of x and that fixed the problem.
f(x)=(1/8)x^3

I think because the 1/8 is less than 1, therefore it's wider, but if it's greater than 1, it's narrower right? I tried to graph it, but looks like mine was way to wide, and not matching what the answer book had... Can someone explain and sketch it for me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A little algebraic trick can solve this. Isn't 1/8 * x^3 the same as (x/2)^3? That may be a little easier to see. f(2) on the original graph of x^3 is now at f(4), f(6) on the original graph is at f(12). see what's going on here?

Check carefully the scale of the solution in your book. This might vary from what you are drawing and cause it to look different.

I do see the pattern, it's doubled... but can someone just PLEASE just answer it straight forward, there's a whole bunch of those questions to do and I'm really really really confused right now...

And as for the scale, the graph was rather tiny but I know for sure mine is a lot wider than it should... :(

Well put two and two together. If f(6) on the old graph is f(12) now and for every f(x) on the old graph that value is at f(2x), by what factor horizantally is the graph stretched?

Edit: What threw you off was most likely that 1/8. It is tempting to just expand the entire graph by 1/8 but coefficients on graphs outside the orders (like 1/8 * x^3) actually mean a vertical scale (in this case a scaledown by a factor of 8). If the coefficient is included with x in the power (like (1/2 * x)^3) then that is a horizantal scretch. However, on linear graphs (y = mx + b), m means a vertical scale up by m or a horizantal shrink by 1/m. It's confusing yes but really the only things you need to know where the first three sentences of my edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks, I sort of see it now. :)

Related to Graph f(x)=(1/8)x^3: Explanation & Sketch

1. What is the equation for the graph f(x)=(1/8)x^3?

The equation for this graph is f(x)=(1/8)x^3, where x is the independent variable and f(x) is the dependent variable.

2. What kind of graph is f(x)=(1/8)x^3?

This is a cubic function, meaning it is a polynomial with a degree of 3. The graph of a cubic function is typically a curve with one hump or two humps.

3. What does the number in front of the x^3 term represent in the equation f(x)=(1/8)x^3?

The number in front of the x^3 term, in this case 1/8, is the coefficient of the x^3 term. It affects the steepness or slope of the graph. In this graph, since the coefficient is positive, the graph will have a positive slope.

4. How do you sketch the graph of f(x)=(1/8)x^3?

To sketch the graph, you can use the coordinate points method. Choose a few values for x, plug them into the equation to solve for f(x), and plot the points on a graph. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve to get the graph of f(x)=(1/8)x^3.

5. What are the key features of the graph of f(x)=(1/8)x^3?

The key features of this graph include: a y-intercept at (0,0), an even degree, a positive coefficient, and a curve with one hump or two humps. The graph is also symmetric about the origin.