Graphing a Piecewise Function: Is it Continuous and Differential?

In summary, the conversation is about a calculus problem that asks whether a given function is continuous and differential. The person is having trouble graphing the function and is seeking help. The suggested approach is to label the x-axis as r and the y-axis as B, and then sketch the two parts of the function separately for r ≤ r0 and r > r0.
neutron star

Homework Statement

This is the last of 10 calculus problems I have to do this week (besides the one I have half finished) 7/8 so far :). This problem asks if the function is continuous and differential. I don't know how to graph this though. Can somebody help explain, I only need to know how to sketch a graph of this.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5519/picture1tz.png

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the x-axis the r axis and the y-axis the B axis, so you are going to graph B as a function of r. Label a point r0 on the r axis and a point B0 on the B axis.

Now for r ≤ r0 you have a straight line with slope B0/r0. And for r > 0 you have r0B0/r). Just sketch the two pieces on the same graph.

Related to Graphing a Piecewise Function: Is it Continuous and Differential?

1. What is a peacewise function?

A peacewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations on different parts of its domain. This means that the function has different rules or equations for different intervals of the independent variable.

2. How do I graph a peacewise function?

To graph a peacewise function, you first need to identify the different equations that make up the function. Then, plot the points for each equation on their respective intervals, and connect them with a line or curve. Be sure to label each interval and equation on the graph.

3. What is the purpose of graphing a peacewise function?

The purpose of graphing a peacewise function is to visualize the different parts of the function and how they are connected. It can also help in understanding the behavior of the function and identifying any discontinuities or unusual behavior.

4. How do I determine the domain and range of a peacewise function?

The domain and range of a peacewise function can be determined by looking at the different intervals and equations that make up the function. The domain is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values.

5. Can a peacewise function have an infinite number of intervals?

Yes, a peacewise function can have an infinite number of intervals. This means that the function can have an infinite number of equations that make up its definition. However, in most cases, peacewise functions have a finite number of intervals.