Gravitational Force Homework: 3 Spheres, Masses, Distance

In summary, three spheres with masses 70 kg, 69 kg, and 0.40 kg are located at specific coordinates in an xy coordinate system. In unit-vector notation, the gravitational force on the smallest sphere, C, due to the other two spheres, A and B, is being calculated. The distance between A and C is found to be 0.186 m and the distance between B and C is found to be 0.178 m using the Pythagorean theorem. This method is correct and the calculated distances are accurate.
wbetting

Homework Statement

Sphere A with mass 70 kg is located at the origin of an xy coordinate system; sphere B with mass 69 kg is located at coordinates (0.29 m, 0); sphere C with mass 0.40 kg is located at coordinates (0.15 m, 0.11 m). In unit-vector notation, what is the gravitational force on C due to A and B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have a quick question. How do you find distance between ac and bc. I know its simple i just don't want to do the whole problem with wrong Rac and Rbc values. I graphed it and did Pythagorean theorem to find hypotenuse? Is this correct i got distance between ac to be .186 and bc to be .178. I got the physics down its the algebra that i need to check!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi wbetting! :smile:
wbetting said:
How do you find distance between ac and bc. … I graphed it and did Pythagorean theorem to find hypotenuse? Is this correct i got distance between ac to be .186 and bc to be .178.

(either say "the distance between a and c" or "the distance ac" :wink:)

yes, pythagoras is the correct method (and your answers are correct) :smile:

Related to Gravitational Force Homework: 3 Spheres, Masses, Distance

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is one of the fundamental forces in the universe and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where F is the force of attraction, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. How does the mass of an object affect gravitational force?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This means that larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational force than smaller objects, like a baseball.

4. How does the distance between objects affect gravitational force?

The farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational force will be. This is because the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. So, the closer two objects are, the stronger their gravitational force will be.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect gravitational force?

The distribution of mass within an object does not affect the gravitational force between two objects. For example, the gravitational force between two spheres with the same mass and diameter will be the same, regardless of how the mass is distributed within the spheres.