Gravity problem: determining the period of a satellite in Earth orbit

In summary, I used the equation a=Gm/r^2 to find the mass of the planet, and then used the equation T=2(pi)(r)/sqrt(a*r) to find the period.
BiggestAfrica
Homework Statement
Given: G = 6.67259 × 10−11 N m2/kg2
The acceleration of gravity on the surface of a planet of radius R = 4430 km is 6.23 m/s^2. What is the period T of a satellite in circular orbit h = 15372.1 km above the surface? Answer in units of s.
Relevant Equations
(Not assigned any specific equations, but these are the ones I think relate to the problem)
a = (v^2)/r
F = G(m1)(m2)/r^2
T = 2(pi)(r)/v
Hi!

This is a problem from my physics 1 high school course. I've tried using the first and third equations to determine period (answer of 8326.9544s.), however that was incorrect and I never even touched G. I'm not sure where to go from here at all. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 10.01.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 10.01.13 AM.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 171
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you calculate the velocity?

Likes BiggestAfrica
Hello BA, :welcome: !

BiggestAfrica said:
a = (v^2)/r
F = G(m1)(m2)/r^2
T = 2(pi)(r)/v

I've tried using the first and third equations
I take it you can find ##r##, but how do you determine ##v## or ##a## ?
Can you show your work ?

Likes BiggestAfrica
To find velocity, I rewrote a = v^2/r
v = sqrt(6.23*4430000) = 5253.4655m/s
a= 6.23m/s^2

BiggestAfrica said:
To find velocity, I rewrote a = v^2/r
v = sqrt(6.23*4430000) = 5253.4655m/s
a= 6.23m/s^2
That looks like a satellite orbiting at the surface!

Likes BiggestAfrica and BvU
Oops! I had tried using both radii and the different between them for the final calculation, but not the velocity. It is my last try on this HW, so just to be sure, I use the height for the calculations, or the difference between the height and radius of the planet?

BiggestAfrica said:
Oops! I had tried using both radii and the different between them for the final calculation, but not the velocity. It is my last try on this HW, so just to be sure, I use the height for the calculations, or the difference between the height and radius of the planet?

Neither. The radius is the radius of the orbit. Which is the distance from the centre of the planet.

But, you are also missing a calculation of the gravitational acceleration at the orbit. That's not the same as at the surface.

Likes BiggestAfrica
The orbit is nearly 4.5 times further from the center of the planet than the surface. What happens to the value of the acceleration due to gravity as you move away from the planet?

Likes BiggestAfrica
Sorry for the delayed response, but I took your suggestions in mind and here's what I tried to no success.

Found the mass of the planet with the equation a = Gm/r^2
6.23 = G(m)/(4430000^2)
m = 1.8323e24

Used the mass to find acceleration of gravity at h = 15372.1km
a = G(1.8323e24)/(15372100^2)
a = 0.5174

Then I found the period with the equation T = 2(pi)(r)/sqrt(a*r)
T = 2(pi)(15372100)/sqrt(.5174*15372100)
T = 34247.7402 seconds

I'm not sure where I went wrong?

BiggestAfrica said:
Used the mass to find acceleration of gravity at h = 15372.1km
a = G(1.8323e24)/(15372100^2)
a = 0.5174

I'm not sure where I went wrong?

In the formula for gravitational acceleration: ##g = \frac{GM}{r^2}##, ##r## is the distance from the centre of the planet. The height above the surface that you are using is not the distance from the centre: ##h \ne r##.

##r = h + R##

Likes BiggestAfrica
PeroK said:
In the formula for gravitational acceleration: ##g = \frac{GM}{r^2}##, ##r## is the distance from the centre of the planet. The height above the surface that you are using is not the distance from the centre: ##h \ne r##.

##r = h + R##

Thank you that was exactly it!

Likes BvU

1. What is the period of a satellite in Earth orbit?

The period of a satellite in Earth orbit refers to the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around the Earth. It is measured in seconds, minutes, or hours depending on the satellite's altitude and speed.

2. How is the period of a satellite in Earth orbit calculated?

The period of a satellite in Earth orbit can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where T is the period in seconds, a is the semi-major axis of the orbit in meters, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2), and M is the mass of the Earth (5.97 x 10^24 kg).

3. How does the distance from the Earth affect the period of a satellite in Earth orbit?

The distance from the Earth has a direct effect on the period of a satellite in Earth orbit. The farther the satellite is from the Earth, the longer its period will be. This is because the gravitational pull of the Earth decreases with distance, causing the satellite to travel at a slower speed.

4. Can the period of a satellite in Earth orbit change?

Yes, the period of a satellite in Earth orbit can change due to various factors such as changes in altitude or speed, gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, and atmospheric drag. However, these changes are usually small and can be corrected by adjusting the satellite's orbit.

5. How does the mass of the satellite affect its period in Earth orbit?

The mass of the satellite does not affect its period in Earth orbit. The only factors that affect the period are the distance from the Earth and the satellite's speed. However, a more massive satellite will require a stronger force of propulsion to maintain its orbit, which can affect its speed and thus its period.