Does Earth's Rotation Affect Gravity?

In summary: They would reach a point where Earth's gravity cannot keep them on, and they would fly off into space.In summary, a classmate of mine said that if the Earth stopped spinning, everyone on it would float off to space because the Earth's mass is too small to hold us down. Their understanding of physics is incorrect and if they reached the north pole, they would fly off into space.
Clubbes

Homework Statement

I do not know if this is the right forum to be asking this, but it is the best i have found.

A classmate of mine came with the statement that if the Earth stopped spinning we would all float off to space because the Earth's mass is to small to able to hold everyone down.
I am reluctant to believe this as my limited understanding of physics says that mass is the decider of the strength of gravity, not that it need to rotate aswell.

The question is, if the Earth and everyone on it lost its momentum. would we still be on earth? or would we float out to space.
This question is not taking into consideration that we would either freeze or burn since the sun would cook one side and the other side would freeze. (please correct me on this if i am wrong.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect someone has misunderstood a claim and constructed their own spurious explanation.
The original may have been "if the Earth suddenly stopped spinning then we would all fly off nto space because of our own momentum".
Even then, it is wrong. It would certainly be unpleasant, but Earth's gravity is much stronger (about 30 times as strong) as the centripetal force required to keep us on terra firma.

Likes CWatters
+1

Clubbes said:
A classmate of mine came with the statement that if the Earth stopped spinning we would all float off to space because the Earth's mass is to small to able to hold everyone down.

They are very confused. Spinning doesn't produce a force that "holds people down". If it did then mud wouldn't fly off a car/bike wheel. On the contrary.. spinning requires a force (centripetal force) to make things move in a circle and stop mud or people flying off. So someone on a spinning planet appears to weigh slightly less than someone on a non spinning planet.

If your friend was correct, what would happen to someone when they reach the north pole?

Likes haruspex

1. How does rotation affect gravity?

Rotation affects gravity by creating centrifugal force, which counteracts the force of gravity. This is why objects on a spinning surface, such as the Earth, appear to be pulled towards the outer edges.

2. Does the rotation of an object affect its gravitational pull?

Yes, the rotation of an object affects its gravitational pull. The faster an object rotates, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is because the increase in velocity creates a stronger centrifugal force.

3. Can an object's rotation affect the strength of gravity in different locations?

Yes, an object's rotation can affect the strength of gravity in different locations. This is because the centrifugal force created by rotation is dependent on the distance from the center of rotation. Therefore, the strength of gravity will vary depending on the distance from the rotating object.

4. How does the rotation of the Earth affect our daily lives?

The rotation of the Earth affects our daily lives in many ways. It creates day and night, affects the direction of winds and ocean currents, and even influences the length of a day. The Earth's rotation also plays a role in the formation of weather patterns and helps to stabilize our planet's axis.

5. Is gravity reliant on rotation for all objects?

No, gravity is not reliant on rotation for all objects. While the rotation of a planet or large object can affect gravity, smaller objects like rocks or people do not have enough mass or velocity for rotation to significantly impact their gravitational pull.