Group order from a presentation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a previous exam, where the goal is to determine the order of a given group with specific relations. The attempt at a solution involves using certain tricks and techniques, such as identifying a normal subgroup and writing the group as a semidirect product, to solve the problem. The conversation also mentions using a table of small groups to find the needed information.
Barre
Hello.

I have been looking at some questions from old exams that I am preparing for, and I have some trouble with the kind of problems that I will now give an example of.

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G = (a,b,c | a^4 = 1, b^2 = a^2, bab^{-1} = a^{-1}, c^3 = 1, cac^{-1} = b, cbc^{-1} = ab)[/itex]. Determine the order of this group.

Homework Equations

null

The Attempt at a Solution

The relations imply that one can move c to the left past all a,b. Also, b can be moved to the left past all a, and hence we can express all elements of this group as products of a power of a, power of b and power of c (in that order). There are at most 24 elements. Now, I have not found any relations that imply orders of a and c are less than 4 and 3, so I assume the group has order 24, but how can I prove this? Easiest would be to find a group generated by 3 (or less) elements that satisfy these properties, and map G surjectively into it, but I cannot expect to memorize all low order groups.

On groups with 2 generators and simpler relations, I usually just do mind-numbing computation of the left regular representation of this group presentation. Then if the relations do not collapse the group, I can map it surjectively into the permutation group I obtained and draw conclusions about order. What can I do in this case, when there are 3 generators and relations pretty much complicated enough so that working out a regular representation on paper is out of question. Are there any popular tricks?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a group order from a presentation?

A group order from a presentation is a way to organize and distribute orders from a group of people who have attended a presentation, typically for a product or service. It allows for bulk ordering and often offers discounts or special deals for the group.

2. How does a group order from a presentation work?

A group order from a presentation typically involves a designated organizer who collects the orders from the group. They then submit the orders to the company or seller, who processes them and provides the products or services to the organizer for distribution to the group members.

3. Is a group order from a presentation beneficial?

Yes, a group order from a presentation can be beneficial as it allows for bulk ordering, which often results in discounts or special deals. It also offers convenience for the group as they do not have to individually place orders and can take advantage of the organizer's efforts.

4. What are some examples of group orders from presentations?

Examples of group orders from presentations include ordering products or services from a direct sales company, such as makeup or kitchenware, ordering products from a wholesale company, or purchasing tickets or packages for events or trips.

5. How can I organize a group order from a presentation?

To organize a group order from a presentation, you can first identify a group of people who are interested in the product or service being presented. Then, designate an organizer who will collect and submit the orders. Finally, communicate with the company or seller to arrange the group order and ensure smooth processing and distribution.