##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}## is weird

• I
  • Thread starter Foracle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: The usual energy eigenfunction is calculated as a solution of the time-indpendent Schrödinger equation, but here you have to use the time-dependent equation. If ##u_E(x)## is the solution of the time-independent Schrödinger equation (i.e., simply an eigenfunction of ##\hat{H}##), then ##\psi_E(t,x)=u_E(x) \exp(-\mathrm{i} E t/\hbar)## is a solution of the time-dependent equation. Nevertheless, and this is important to understand, the probability distribution for position in this case$$P(t,x)=|\psi(t,x)|^2=|u_E(x)|^2$$is indeed time-independent
Foracle
TL;DR Summary
I tried calculating the time derivative of the probability density of a wavefunction but end up getting $$\frac{d}{dt}P(x,t)=0$$ for any wavefunction.
##\frac{d}{dt}P(x,t)=\frac{d}{dt}<\Psi|\Psi>##
##=<\frac{d}{dt}\Psi|\Psi>+<\Psi|\frac{d}{dt}\Psi>##

By using ##\frac{d}{dt}=\frac{-i}{\hbar}H## ,

##\frac{d}{dt}P(x,t)=<\frac{-i}{\hbar}H\Psi|\Psi>+<\Psi|\frac{-i}{\hbar}H\Psi>##
##=\frac{i}{\hbar}<\Psi|H\Psi> - \frac{i}{\hbar}<\Psi|H\Psi> = 0##
The above equation shows that the probability density is not changing in time for any state, though clearly this situation only applies to energy eigenstate. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Edit : Another problem that I have that resembles this is :
For a time independent operator Q, a quick (and probably naive) calculation shows that [H,Q] = 0. But take position operator for example ##\hat{x}##. It's clear that ##\frac{d}{dt}<\hat{x}>## which can be written as ##\frac{d}{dt}<\hat{x}> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<[H,\hat{x}]>## is not zero for most states.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##P(x,t)\neq \langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle##. The correct equality is
$$P(x,t)=\langle\Psi(t)|x\rangle\langle x|\Psi(t)\rangle$$

Likes Couchyam and Foracle
Demystifier said:
##P(x,t)\neq \langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle##. The correct equality is
$$P(x,t)=\langle\Psi(t)|x\rangle\langle x|\Psi(t)\rangle$$
Thanks for pointing out!
Following the previous calculation, I end up with ##\frac{d}{dt}P(x,t) = \frac{i}{\hbar}[<H\Psi|x><x|\Psi> - <\Psi|x><x|H\Psi>]##
If I assume ##<\Psi|x> = \Psi^{*}(x)>## , I get
$$\frac{d}{dt}P(x,t) = \frac{i}{\hbar}[H\Psi^{*}\Psi - \Psi^{*}H\Psi]$$
If the wavefunction is real, than this is 0 again. Did I do some mistake?

Foracle said:
Thanks for pointing out!
Following the previous calculation, I end up with ##\frac{d}{dt}P(x,t) = \frac{i}{\hbar}[<H\Psi|x><x|\Psi> - <\Psi|x><x|H\Psi>]##
If I assume ##<\Psi|x> = \Psi^{*}(x)>## , I get
$$\frac{d}{dt}P(x,t) = \frac{i}{\hbar}[H\Psi^{*}\Psi - \Psi^{*}H\Psi]$$
If the wavefunction is real, than this is 0 again. Did I do some mistake?
How can a wavefunction be real if it satisfies the Schrodinger equation?

Likes Foracle, vanhees71 and Demystifier
PeroK said:
How can a wavefunction be real if it satisfies the Schrodinger equation?
Thanks for replying!
Can you please give me a quick explanation on why this is the case?
What about energy eigenfunction that can be chosen to be real?

Foracle said:
Thanks for replying!
That's only the spatial function. There's a time-dependent function that is complex.

Likes Foracle
PeroK said:
That's only the spatial function. There's a time-dependent function that is complex.
Ah I see..

Schrodinger equation : $$i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}\Psi = H\Psi$$
Since everything in this equation but i is real, nothing can counter the imaginary part hence ##\Psi## must be complex. Is this why wavefunction satisfying Schrodinger's equation must be complex?

Foracle said:
Ah I see..

Schrodinger equation : $$i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}\Psi = H\Psi$$
Since everything in this equation but i is real, nothing can counter the imaginary part hence ##\Psi## must be complex. Is this why wavefunction satisfying Schrodinger's equation must be complex?
Yes, the full wavefunction cannot be real.

Likes Foracle
Foracle said:
If the wavefunction is real, than this is 0 again.
The full wave function cannot be real, as @PeroK said. But if the wave function is an energy eigenstate, then ##P(x,t)=P(x)## does not depend on time. There is nothing inconsistent with it, that's indeed why such states are called stationary.

Likes Couchyam and Foracle
Demystifier said:
if the wave function is an energy eigenstate, then ##P(x,t)=P(x)## does not depend on time.
Mathematically, this is because for an eigenstate, ##H \Psi^* = E \Psi^*## and ##H \Psi = E \Psi##, so the RHS of the equation in post #3 does vanish for this special case.

PeterDonis said:
Mathematically, this is because for an eigenstate, ##H \Psi^* = \Psi^*## and ##H \Psi = \Psi##, so the RHS of the equation in post #3 does vanish for this special case.
An ##E## is missing on your right hand sides, but yes.

Likes Couchyam
Demystifier said:
An ##E## is missing on your right hand sides, but yes.
Ah, yes. Fixed now. Thanks!

Likes Demystifier
Foracle said:
Thanks for replying!
The usual energy eigenfunction is calculated as a solution of the time-indpendent Schrödinger equation, but here you have to use the time-dependent equation. If ##u_E(x)## is the solution of the time-independent Schrödinger equation i.e., simply an eigenfunction of ##\hat{H}##) then ##\psi_E(t,x)=u_E(x) \exp(-\mathrm{i} E t/\hbar)## is a solution of the time-dependent equation. Nevertheless, and this is important to understand the probability distribution for position in this case
$$P(t,x)=|\psi(t,x)|^2=|u_E(x)|^2$$
is indeed time-independent. That shows that the energy-eigenfunctions lead to the stationary states of the system. The time-dependent phase factor doesn't change the state, because the state is defined by the wave function up to a phase factor, because the physics is in ##P=|\psi|^2## only.

For an arbitrary solution of the time-dependent Schrödinger equation you get
$$\partial_t P(t,x)=\partial_t [\psi^*(t,x) \psi(t,x)]=(\partial_t \psi)^* \psi + \psi^* \partial_t \psi.$$
Now from the time-dependent Schrödinger equation you have
$$\partial_t \psi=-\mathrm{i}/\hbar \hat{H} \psi = -\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \left [-\frac{\hbar^2 \partial_x^2}{2m} + V(x) \right] \psi$$
and taking the conjugate complex of this
$$\partial_t \psi^* = +\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \left [-\frac{\hbar^2 \partial_x^2}{2m} + V(x) \right] \psi^*=+\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \hat{H} \psi^*.$$
So you finally get
$$\partial_t P(t,x)=\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} [\psi \hat{H} \psi^*-\psi^* \hat{H} \psi]=-\frac{\mathrm{i} \hbar}{2m} [\psi \partial_x^2 \psi^*-\psi^* \partial_x^2 \psi].$$
From this you also get the very important continuity equation
$$\partial_t P(t,x)+\partial_x j(t,x)=0,$$
where the "probability current" is defined by
$$j=\frac{\mathrm{i} \hbar}{2m} [\psi \partial_x \psi^*-\psi^* \partial_x \psi].$$
Integrating over ##x## along the real axis you get (for a proper wave function which sufficiently quickly goes to 0 for ##x \rightarrow \pm \infty##)
$$\mathrm{d}_t \int_{R} \mathrm{d} x P(t,x)=0.$$
This means that, if ##P(t,x)## is properly normalized at ##t=0## it stays normalized forever, as it should be.

Likes Foracle and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
The usual energy eigenfunction is calculated as a solution of the time-indpendent Schrödinger equation, but here you have to use the time-dependent equation. If ##u_E(x)## is the solution of the time-independent Schrödinger equation i.e., simply an eigenfunction of ##\hat{H}##) then ##\psi_E(t,x)=u_E(x) \exp(-\mathrm{i} E t/\hbar)## is a solution of the time-dependent equation. Nevertheless, and this is important to understand the probability distribution for position in this case
$$P(t,x)=|\psi(t,x)|^2=|u_E(x)|^2$$
is indeed time-independent. That shows that the energy-eigenfunctions lead to the stationary states of the system. The time-dependent phase factor doesn't change the state, because the state is defined by the wave function up to a phase factor, because the physics is in ##P=|\psi|^2## only.

For an arbitrary solution of the time-dependent Schrödinger equation you get
$$\partial_t P(t,x)=\partial_t [\psi^*(t,x) \psi(t,x)]=(\partial_t \psi)^* \psi + \psi^* \partial_t \psi.$$
Now from the time-dependent Schrödinger equation you have
$$\partial_t \psi=-\mathrm{i}/\hbar \hat{H} \psi = -\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \left [-\frac{\hbar^2 \partial_x^2}{2m} + V(x) \right] \psi$$
and taking the conjugate complex of this
$$\partial_t \psi^* = +\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \left [-\frac{\hbar^2 \partial_x^2}{2m} + V(x) \right] \psi^*=+\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} \hat{H} \psi^*.$$
So you finally get
$$\partial_t P(t,x)=\frac{\mathrm{i}}{\hbar} [\psi \hat{H} \psi^*-\psi^* \hat{H} \psi]=-\frac{\mathrm{i} \hbar}{2m} [\psi \partial_x^2 \psi^*-\psi^* \partial_x^2 \psi].$$
From this you also get the very important continuity equation
$$\partial_t P(t,x)+\partial_x j(t,x)=0,$$
where the "probability current" is defined by
$$j=\frac{\mathrm{i} \hbar}{2m} [\psi \partial_x \psi^*-\psi^* \partial_x \psi].$$
Integrating over ##x## along the real axis you get (for a proper wave function which sufficiently quickly goes to 0 for ##x \rightarrow \pm \infty##)
$$\mathrm{d}_t \int_{R} \mathrm{d} x P(t,x)=0.$$
This means that, if ##P(t,x)## is properly normalized at ##t=0## it stays normalized forever, as it should be.
Thank you for taking your time to write this answer!

1. What does the equation "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" represent?

The equation "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" is known as the Schrödinger equation and it is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It represents the time evolution of a quantum system, where H is the Hamiltonian operator, i is the imaginary unit, hbar is the reduced Planck constant, and d/dt represents the time derivative.

2. Why is "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" considered "weird"?

The equation "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" is considered "weird" because it describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level, which is very different from our everyday experience and intuition. It involves concepts such as superposition, uncertainty, and wave-particle duality, which can be difficult to grasp and can seem counterintuitive.

3. How is "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" used in scientific research?

The Schrödinger equation "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" is used in scientific research to predict the behavior of quantum systems and to understand the properties of matter at the atomic and subatomic level. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.

4. What are the implications of "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" for our understanding of the universe?

The Schrödinger equation "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a framework for studying the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has led to the development of quantum mechanics, which has helped us to explain and predict phenomena that cannot be explained by classical mechanics, such as the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles.

5. Are there any limitations to the applicability of "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##"?

While the Schrödinger equation "##H=i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}##" has been incredibly successful in describing the behavior of quantum systems, it does have limitations. It does not fully explain the behavior of particles in certain situations, such as at very high energies or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. This has led to ongoing research and the development of new theories, such as quantum field theory and string theory, to further our understanding of the universe.