Halloween Plans: Dressing Up or Handing Out Candy?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, In Slovakia, Halloween is a day to remember deceased loved ones, and it is a very quiet and peaceful time.
What are your plans for tonight? What are you dressing up as or what are your children dressing up as? This is the first year I won't be dressing up. This time I am handing out candy.

Physics news on Phys.org
This will be the first time that I don't hand out candy as I have other plans this year.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What are your plans for tonight? What are you dressing up as or what are your children dressing up as? This is the first year I won't be dressing up. This time I am handing out candy.

You've outgrown your Superman costume finally?

:)

We had our yearly Halloween Chili party last weekend, since many of our friends are at WDW this week. This evening, we will wait for kids to knock on our door for candies, and later in the evening, a couple of friends will be coming over for dinner and spend the night. We might watch Nightmare Before Christmas for the 1,000,001th time.

Happy Not So Scary Halloween!
IMG_2781_zps6f966868.jpg

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:

Gimme my candy, please!:angel:

Greg Bernhardt said:
What are your plans for tonight? What are you dressing up as or what are your children dressing up as? This is the first year I won't be dressing up.

I won't be dressing up this Halloween either. The last few years I've been a bit of a bah..humbug on Halloween. But for decades I used to dress up every year with the same costume. A pirate. Why? Because it was so easy and hassle free. A cheap eye-patch and a red bandana, and guess what? Insta-pirate!

pirate_patch-leather.jpg

If I had a girlfriend at the time, I may have gone the extra mile and used some of her eyeliner or something, but mostly I just kept the eye-patch and bandana in my pocket and became insta-pirate when it was convenient to do so. Lol.

Likes OmCheeto
I've never been able to hand out candy because my husky-German shepherd doesn't like strangers near the house. He's the one doing the scaring most of the time.

It is wet, rainy, and windy for Halloween here in the Chicago metro area. Only half of the usual number of trick-or-treaters so far. I'm going to end up with tons of leftover candy.

Zz.

I'm afraid of sugar, so I'll be skipping the candy.

On the other hand, it's one of the best times of the year. Skully and Mandibelle at the Shady Crypt might be celebrating a bit tonight.

This will be the first time in about 20 years I've handed out candy. We're currently in the middle of a monsoonish type deluge, so hopefully no one shows up, and I can eat it all myself!
:devil:

DiracPool said:
I won't be dressing up this Halloween either. The last few years I've been a bit of a bah..humbug on Halloween. But for decades I used to dress up every year with the same costume. A pirate. Why? Because it was so easy and hassle free. A cheap eye-patch and a red bandana, and guess what? Insta-pirate!

pirate_patch-leather.jpg

If I had a girlfriend at the time, I may have gone the extra mile and used some of her eyeliner or something, but mostly I just kept the eye-patch and bandana in my pocket and became insta-pirate when it was convenient to do so. Lol.
I did something very similar. I always carried around a pair of horns on a string. Insta-costume!

hmmm...
hoogle hoogle hoogle

Ah ha!

pf.insta.devil.om.2015.10.31.1734.halloween.jpg

Should the little devils show up today, I'm sure they'll run away in horror. And once again, the candy will be all mine. ALL MINE!

Likes DiracPool
OmCheeto said:
...We're currently in the middle of a monsoonish type deluge...

Kind of rare for the city.

Fortunately, the designers put the electrical connections on the top of the trains.

From the cheers, and laughs in the background, um, yeah, we're used to water here. :biggrin:

Likes OmCheeto
In Slovakia, we traditionally don't celebrate Halloween (but carving pumpkins and Halloween parties for young people are getting more popular each year. Never heard of children going trick or treating tough).
We celebrate All Saints and Remembering deceased (what a strange translation :D). People also call it "Little souls" on Nov 1 and Nov 2.
These holidays are very quiet and peaceful. Everyone visits their deceased loved ones at the cemetery and lights a candle for them. Many people go to cemeteries in the evening because it is full of lit candles and flowers. It is really very beautiful and it feels sacred. This is one of the best times of the year for flower shops :) It is also time for massive traffic jams and crowded buses and trains. Some say it is even worse than at Christmas time. Everyone is going back to their home towns to visit graves of their relatives. November 1 is a state holiday. Church attendance is compulsory/recommended for Catholics and many other Christians. That officially means ca. 75% of the population.

Attachments

• dusicky.jpg
    dusicky.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 295
  • dusicky2.jpg
    dusicky2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 342
  • children on halloween.jpg
    children on halloween.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
Fortunately, the designers put the electrical connections on the top of the trains.

That's the first thing I thought...Sitting in a bathtub on an electric rail car doesn't sound like a great combination. Everyone seems to be sitting around with a cavalier attitude, dipping their feet in the pool. I would have been trying to get as "high and dry" as possible.

DiracPool said:
That's the first thing I thought...Sitting in a bathtub on an electric rail car doesn't sound like a great combination. Everyone seems to be sitting around with a cavalier attitude, dipping their feet in the pool. I would have been trying to get as "high and dry" as possible.

I suppose a poorly designed system might have resulted in a "Train of Death".
Quite fitting for Día de Muertos.
Actually, so many people were killed by the the train when it first went into service, they nicknamed it "Mad Max".
They are very quiet, both inside, and unfortunately, outside. One person was killed before it even went into public service!
Ah! Someone has nicknamed them "Maxidents". I think that's kind of clever.

The official name of the train is "MAX", which is short for "Metro Area eXpress".

ps. I had ZERO trick or treaters last night. I only saw one group of kids walk by, and they only stopped at every 10th house or so.

OmCheeto said:
ps. I had ZERO trick or treaters last night. I only saw one group of kids walk by, and they only stopped at every 10th house or so.

Oh yeah, It wasn't until midnight that I realized that I forgot to turn my porch light on...:rolleyes:

More candy for me!:smile:

DiracPool said:
Oh yeah, It wasn't until midnight that I realized that I forgot to turn my porch light on...:rolleyes:

More candy for me!:smile:
I had the porch light on, a black light with glow in the dark ghoul mask in the front window, and oil lamps flickering in the living room.
Still nothing.

I've already eaten more candy today than I usually eat in a year.
So I've put the remainder in the freezer, as I cannot walk by it without having "just one more". :oldruck:

Have a Happy season everyone!
How many lbs of candies did you give away ? Are you still saving any big ones for you ?

What is the origin of Halloween?

The origins of Halloween can be traced back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, which marked the end of the harvest season and the beginning of the "darker half" of the year. It was believed that on this day, the boundary between the living and the dead was blurred, and the spirits of the deceased could return to the earthly realm. This festival eventually evolved into what we now know as Halloween.

Why do people dress up in costumes on Halloween?

The tradition of dressing up in costumes on Halloween can be traced back to the Celtic festival of Samhain, where people would wear animal skins and masks to ward off evil spirits. Over time, this tradition evolved into dressing up as different characters, such as ghosts, witches, and superheroes, for fun and celebration.

Is it safe to go trick-or-treating during the COVID-19 pandemic?

It is recommended to follow the guidelines and regulations set by your local government and health officials. If trick-or-treating is allowed, it is important to practice social distancing, wear a mask, and avoid large gatherings. It may also be a good idea to sanitize hands and candy before consuming.

What are some alternative ways to celebrate Halloween instead of traditional trick-or-treating?

There are many alternative ways to celebrate Halloween while still following safety guidelines. Some ideas include virtual costume parties, pumpkin carving at home, scavenger hunts, or drive-by candy exchanges with neighbors. Check with your local community for events and activities that may be happening in your area.

What are some fun and creative costume ideas for Halloween?

The possibilities for Halloween costumes are endless! You can be anything from a classic witch or vampire to a popular movie or TV character. Some fun and creative ideas include dressing up as a group with friends or family, creating a DIY costume, or incorporating a current event or meme into your costume. Let your imagination run wild!