Hamilton function of a free particle/Landau's book

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Hamilton function and corresponding Hamilton equations for a free particle in Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates. The Hamilton function is derived using the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian is found to be equal to the total energy of the system. The difference between the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian is also discussed, with the Hamiltonian depending only on q, p, and t while the Lagrangian also depends on \dot{q}. The use of Landau's book for learning these concepts is questioned and alternative suggestions are requested.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The problem is taken out of Landau's book on classical mechanics. I must find the Hamilton function and the corresponding Hamilton equations for a free particle in Cartesian, cylindrical and spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

Hamilton function: [itex]H(p,q,t)= \sum p_i \dot q _i -L[/itex] where L is the Lagrangian.
Hamilton equations: [itex]\dot q_i = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_i}[/itex] and [itex]\dot p_i =-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q _i}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on Cartesian coordinates so far. [itex]L=\frac{m}{2}(\dot x ^2 + \dot y^2 +\dot z^2)-U(x,y,z)[/itex].
[itex]p_i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q _i}=m \dot q_i \Rightarrow \dot p_i=m \ddot q_i[/itex].
[itex]H=m \dot x ^2 +m \dot y^2 +m \dot z ^2 - \frac{m}{2} (\dot x^2 + \dot y^2 +\dot z^2)+U(x,y,z)=\frac{m}{2}(\dot x ^2 +\dot y^2 +\dot z^2)+U(x,y,z)[/itex]. I notice that the Hamilton function is the Hamiltonian and that in this case it's worth the total energy of the system (the free particle).
However the solution given in the book is [itex]H=\frac{1}{2m} (p _x ^2+ p_y^2 +p_z ^2)+U(x,y,z)[/itex]. Why is it expressed under this form? I took Landau's expressions and definitions and land on a different answer... why?!

Edit: Hmm I guess it's because H should depend only on p, q and t. Never on [itex]\dot q[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lagrangian is a function of [itex]q[/itex], [itex]\dot{q}[/itex], and [itex]t[/itex]
Hamiltonian is a function of [itex]q[/itex], [itex]p[/itex], and [itex]t[/itex]

You might think that this is just semantics since [itex]\dot{q}[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] are proportional to each other, but it is very important distinction.

Not sure Landau is the best book to learn these stuff from. It loves elegant solutions and hates verbose explanation.

Ok thanks a lot for the explanation.
By the way, about the book, do you have any other suggestion? I currently own Goldstein's 1st edition on classical mechanics. I find very few worked examples and lots of theory. So I try to complete with Landau's book.

1. What is the Hamilton function of a free particle?

The Hamilton function of a free particle is a mathematical function that describes the energy of a particle in motion. It is defined as the sum of the particle's kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is the Hamilton function related to classical mechanics?

The Hamilton function is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics, as it represents the total energy of a system and is used to describe the motion of particles. It is derived from the Lagrangian function, which is used to formulate the equations of motion in classical mechanics.

3. What is the significance of Landau's book in relation to the Hamilton function?

Landau's book, "Mechanics", is a widely acclaimed textbook on theoretical mechanics. It contains a comprehensive discussion of the Hamilton function and its applications in classical mechanics, making it an essential resource for students and researchers in the field.

4. Can the Hamilton function be used to describe the motion of particles in quantum mechanics?

While the Hamilton function is primarily used in classical mechanics, it can also be applied to describe the motion of particles in quantum mechanics. In this context, it is known as the Hamiltonian operator and is used to calculate the energy of a quantum system.

5. How is the Hamilton function used in practical applications?

The Hamilton function has several practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used to analyze the stability of mechanical systems, predict the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields, and study the dynamics of complex systems such as fluids and gases. It is also a crucial component in the development of advanced technologies, such as spacecraft and robotics.