Hamilton - Jacobi method for a particle in a magnetic field

In summary, the Hamiltonian for a charged particle in a magnetic field in 2D is given by ##H(x,y,p_x,p_y)=\frac{(p_x-ky)^2+(p_y+kx)^2}{2m}##, where ##m## and ##k## are constant parameters. To separate this system, we can use ##S=U(x)+W(y)+kxy+S_t(t)## and solve the Hamilton-Jacobi equation to obtain ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##. The process involves substituting ##p_i=\frac{dS}{dx_i}## into the assignment and assuming ##S_t(t)t=a_0t##, where ##a_0##
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Hamiltonian of charged particle in magnetic field in 2D is ##H(x,y,p_x,p_y)=\frac{(p_x-ky)^2+(p_y+kx)^2}{2m}## where ##k## and ##m## are constant parameters. For separation of this system use ##S=U(x)+W(y)+kxy+S_t(t)##. Solve Hamilton - Jacobi equation to get ##x(t), y(t)## .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I substitute ##p_i=\frac{dS}{dx_i}## in the assignment and assumptation ##S_t(t)t=a_0t## (hamiltonian don't depend on time) I get
##U_x^2+(W_y+2kx)^2=a (+b-b)##,
where ##a=2ma_0##, ##b## is separation constant and subscript means derivative. I separate it and I get
##W_y=b##
##U_x=\sqrt{a-(2kx+b)^2}##...my first question is, if it is good procedure and is it right?
Then I integrate but second terms is quite...complex, so I denote solution of this integral as ##I(x;a;b)+d##, ##c## and ##d## are constants.
##W=by+c##
##U=I+d##
I suppose that constants ##c## and ##d## are unimportant because of they are just additive. So
##S=I+by+kxy-\frac{a}{2m}t##
and finally ##x(t), y(t)## I get from
##\frac{dS}{da}=e## and ##\frac{dS}{db}=f## where ##e,f## are constants.
Please comment my procedure and also if exist some "better" prcedure when I could get exact ##x(t),y(t)## because from this integral ##I## it is impossible.
Thank you for an advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:

The Attempt at a Solution

##S_t(t)t=a_0t##
Did you mean to have the factor of ##t## on the left side? Do you need a negative sign in front of the right side?
##U_x^2+(W_y+2kx)^2=a (+b-b)##,
Doesn't the factor of (b-b) make the right side zero? Maybe just a typo.
I separate it and I get
##W_y=b##
##U_x=\sqrt{a-(2kx+b)^2}##...my first question is, if it is good procedure and is it right?
This looks correct to me.
Then I integrate but second terms is quite...complex, so I denote solution of this integral as ##I(x;a;b)+d##, ##c## and ##d## are constants.
##W=by+c##
##U=I+d##
I suppose that constants ##c## and ##d## are unimportant because of they are just additive.
Yes
So
##S=I+by+kxy-\frac{a}{2m}t##
and finally ##x(t), y(t)## I get from
##\frac{dS}{da}=e## and ##\frac{dS}{db}=f## where ##e,f## are constants.
Please comment my procedure and also if exist some "better" prcedure when I could get exact ##x(t),y(t)## because from this integral ##I## it is impossible.
Thank you for an advice.
This looks good. It should not be hard to evaluate ##\partial I / \partial a## and ##\partial I / \partial b##. [Edit: Differentiate "under the integral sign" and then do the integral.]

Last edited:
TSny said:
Did you mean to have the factor of ##t## on the left side? Do you need a negative sign in front of the right side?
Doesn't the factor of (b-b) make the right side zero? Maybe just a typo.
This looks correct to me.
Yes

This looks good. It should not be hard to evaluate ##\partial I / \partial a## and ##\partial I / \partial b##. [Edit: Differentiate "under the integral sign" and then do the integral.]
Ok, thank you very much for comments.

What is the Hamilton-Jacobi method?

The Hamilton-Jacobi method is a mathematical technique used to solve classical mechanics problems, particularly those involving particles moving in conservative systems. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the total action (a measure of energy over time).

How does the Hamilton-Jacobi method apply to a particle in a magnetic field?

In the case of a particle moving in a magnetic field, the Hamilton-Jacobi method involves separating the system into two parts: the kinetic energy of the particle and the potential energy due to the magnetic field. By solving the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for these two parts separately and then combining them, we can determine the path of the particle in the magnetic field.

What is the significance of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation in this method?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation is a partial differential equation that describes the evolution of a physical system over time. In the Hamilton-Jacobi method, solving this equation allows us to determine the action (or energy) of the system at any point in time, which in turn allows us to calculate the path of the particle in the magnetic field.

What are some advantages of using the Hamilton-Jacobi method for this problem?

The Hamilton-Jacobi method offers several advantages for solving problems involving particles in magnetic fields. It is a more simplified and elegant approach compared to other techniques such as the Euler-Lagrange equations. It also allows for easier calculation of conserved quantities, such as the energy and momentum of the particle.

Are there any limitations to the Hamilton-Jacobi method for this problem?

Like any mathematical method, the Hamilton-Jacobi method has its limitations. It is most effective for solving problems in conservative systems, so it may not be applicable to more complex systems. Additionally, the method can become more complicated for higher-dimensional systems or when considering multiple particles interacting in a magnetic field.