HARD Mathematic examination question

In summary: As far as I can tell, the only variable of integration is x, so why is there a dθ at all?In summary, the student is struggling with a double integral problem involving trigonometric functions and an unusual integrand. They have attempted substitution but have not been successful. They also mention that the integral is part of an examination given on October 14, 2013. They are seeking assistance in solving the problem.
Danico
HARD! Mathematic examination question

Homework Statement

$$\int_0^2\int_π/3^π (x^2*\sec^3 x^3 -12\ /\sqrt{e^π+x^2 +2x})\,dx\,d(theta)$$ :cool:

Homework Equations

I could not find any relevant questions on the web, however this is simply a question from an exam written the 14th of October 2013 regarding multiple integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use trig substitution, substituting x=tan(theta), dx=sec^2(theta) d(theta)
to no progress I gave up :cry: ... then I wondered whether i should have subsituted u=π-x ∴ x=π-u
but this led to bigger problems... I have sincerely attempted to solve this problem for a day now, please help, I would trully appreciate it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So it's ##\displaystyle\int_0^2\left(\int_{\frac\pi3}^\pi\left(x^2\cdot\sec^3 \left(x^3\right)-\dfrac{12}{\sqrt{e^\pi+x^2+2\cdot x}}\right)\cdot\mathrm{d}x\right)\cdot\mathrm{d}\theta##? That ... sounds like a strange integral, especially considering the lack of any ##\theta## in the integrand. Try using the fact that ##\displaystyle\int\left(f+g\right)=\int f+\int g##, then use a couple substitutions. You might have to complete the square in the square root.

'm terribly sorry, its my first time so I made a slight mistake in the equation... Its supposed to be a double integral, not separated by brackets. Also it should read after the second integral [x^2.Sec^3(x^3 -12)/√e^π+x^2 -2x] and finally dx.d(theta)

Danico said:
'm terribly sorry, its my first time so I made a slight mistake in the equation... Its supposed to be a double integral, not separated by brackets. Also it should read after the second integral [x^2.Sec^3(x^3 -12)/√e^π+x^2 -2x] and finally dx.d(theta)
It still doesn't make any sense. Surely there should be a theta somewhere other than in the dθ.

1. What makes "HARD Mathematic examination question" difficult?

The difficulty of a mathematic examination question can be attributed to various factors such as the complexity of the concepts, the length of the question, the level of abstraction, and the time constraint. It also depends on the individual's prior knowledge and understanding of the subject.

2. How should I prepare for a "HARD Mathematic examination question"?

To prepare for a hard mathematic examination question, it is essential to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and practice solving a variety of problems. It is also helpful to review past exam papers and familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the questions.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for "HARD Mathematic examination question"?

Problem-solving skills can be improved by regularly practicing and solving problems, breaking down complex questions into smaller, manageable parts, and seeking help or guidance when needed. It is also beneficial to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a "HARD Mathematic examination question"?

If you get stuck on a hard mathematic examination question, it is important to stay calm and avoid getting frustrated. Take a deep breath, read the question carefully, and try to break it down into smaller parts. If you are still unable to solve it, move on to the next question and come back to it later with a fresh perspective.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during a "HARD Mathematic examination question"?

Time management is crucial during a mathematic examination, especially for hard questions. To manage your time effectively, it is essential to allocate a specific amount of time for each question, prioritize the questions based on difficulty, and avoid spending too much time on a single question. It is also helpful to check your progress regularly and adjust your pace accordingly.