Harmonic motion with damping

In summary: Yes, using the correct notation is important in equations to avoid confusion. Keep in mind that ωd is the damped frequency and ωn is the natural frequency. Using the correct notation, your equation should look like this: x(t) = Ae^(γt)cos(ωdt) = Ae^((-b/2m)t)cos(√(k/m - (b^2/4m^2))t) Now, you can solve for b by equating the given damped frequency (√(3)/2)√k/m to the ωd in the equation and solving for b. In summary, to find the value of b, you can use the given equation for the d
AsadaShino92

Homework Statement

An object of mass 0.2kg is hung from a spring whose spring constant is 80N/m. The object is subject to a resistive force given by -bv, where v is it's velocity in meters per second.

If the damped frequency is √(3)/2 of the undamped frequency, what is the value of b?

Homework Equations

F=ma
ω=√k/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to write the sum of the forces of the system and got ∑F=-kx-bv=ma
I rewrote it as -kx=b(dx/dt)+m(d^2x/dt^2)

Now I don't have much experience with differential equations but I know the solution is x(t)=Ae^(γt)cos(ωt) where γ=(-b/2m). I also know that the damped frequency is (√(3)/2)√k/m given from the problem. I not sure where to go from here. I am supposed to use the solution and solve for b? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
AsadaShino92 said:
Now I don't have much experience with differential equations but I know the solution is x(t)=Ae^(γt)cos(ωt) where γ=(-b/2m).
What is the value of ω in terms of k, m and/or b? You know γ(b,k,m) but you don't know ω(b,k,m)?

rude man said:
What is the value of ω in terms of k, m and/or b? You know γ(b,k,m) but you don't know ω(b,k,m)?

So ω in terms of k,m, and b would be √((ω^2)-(γ^2)) right?

Going back to your 1st post, you are mixing up two ω's. One is the natural frequency ωn = √(k/m). the other is the damped frequency which is ωd. The ω in your cos argument should be the latter. The idea is that ωd < ωn as your problem statement gives. Don't use ω again, use the two above.
Having said that, to answer your question
So ω in terms of k,m, and b would be √((ω^2)-(γ^2)) right?
is correct IF you use the right omegas. You can't say x = x + a, a ≠ 0, can you?

Last edited:
rude man said:
Going back to your 1st post, you are mixing up two ω's. One is the natural frequency ωn = √(k/m). the other is the damped frequency which is ωd. The ω in your cos argument should be the latter. The idea is that ωd < ωn as your problem statement gives. Don't use ω again, use the two above.
Having said that, to answer your question is correct IF you use the right omegas. You can't say x = x + a, a ≠ 0, can you?

Yeah I agree with that. I seem to be getting the 2 omega's confused with each other. So my solution should actually be expressed as x(t)=Ae^(γt)cos(ωdt), where ωd refers to the damped frequency. Sorry for making it look messy but I wasn't sure how to write the subscript d. Plugging in √((ω^2)-(γ^2)) for ω damping I can solve for my value of b. Is that the right idea?

AsadaShino92 said:
Yeah I agree with that. I seem to be getting the 2 omega's confused with each other. So my solution should actually be expressed as x(t)=Ae^(γt)cos(ωdt), where ωd refers to the damped frequency. Sorry for making it look messy but I wasn't sure how to write the subscript d. Plugging in √((ω^2)-(γ^2)) for ω damping I can solve for my value of b. Is that the right idea?
1. You're still using ω instead of wd or ωn. Don't.
2 . Picking the correct omegas, rewrite your equation; this time make it a real equation with an = sign and everything.
3. It's easy to make subscripts or superscripts. See the "x2" and the "x2" on the toolbar where you got your ω?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I found it, thanks for pointing that out.
rude man said:
3. It's easy to make subscripts or superscripts. See the "x2" and the "x2" on the toolbar where you got your ω?

1. What is harmonic motion with damping?

Harmonic motion with damping is a type of motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with the amplitude of the oscillations gradually decreasing over time due to the presence of a damping force.

2. How does damping affect harmonic motion?

Damping affects harmonic motion by reducing the amplitude and increasing the period of the oscillations. This is because the damping force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, gradually reducing its energy and causing it to eventually come to a stop.

3. What causes damping in harmonic motion?

Damping in harmonic motion is caused by external forces such as friction, air resistance, or resistance from a medium, which act in the opposite direction of the motion and decrease the energy of the system.

4. What is the equation for harmonic motion with damping?

The equation for harmonic motion with damping is x(t) = A*e^(-bt) * cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, b is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase constant.

5. How can harmonic motion with damping be applied in real life?

Harmonic motion with damping is commonly observed in various real-life systems such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits. It is also used in engineering and design to analyze and control the behavior of structures and machines.