Have any famous or well known scientists come to this site?

• Thread starter dsaun777
  • Start date
In summary: I don't remember the link, sorry. But I think the gist of it was that he recommended Lev Okun's work on relativistic mass.In summary, Lev Okun was briefly here to talk about mass and energy in relativity, remind us of his works on that.
MidgetDwarf said:
my assumption that people who popularize physics, do not frequent these forums largely due that the population may learn that their favorite tv personality, book writer, etc really does not know physics that well. which would lead to loss of sales and markability.
I used to think Kaku was just a popsci guy when I was younger until I bought his book on quantum field theory: a modern introduction. It's amazing he wrote that by himself.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
And how did it help your grade?
He gave me a C-, which is exactly what I needed.

We've had a number of "famous" scientists pass by through the years. Such a life is quite busy, so it's hard to stick. @Urs Schreiber wrote a number of Insights and was a popular moderator for years during the physics listserv days.

Likes Wrichik Basu, dextercioby, jedishrfu and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
WTH? I need his cellphone number so I can have a talk with him!

(Oh, probably too late...) :wink:

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:

We've had a number of "famous" scientists pass by through the years. Such a life is quite busy, so it's hard to stick. @Urs Schreiber wrote a number of Insights and was a popular moderator for years during the physics listserv days.
Sorry I am not familiar with your background but I really appreciate the website. Did you end up becoming a physicist?

Likes PhDeezNutz
dsaun777 said:
Sorry I am not familiar with your background but I really appreciate the website. Did you end up becoming a physicist?
No, he became a maestro in website design. :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu and PhDeezNutz
Vanadium 50 said:
I thought Canada had only federal prisons and provincial jails. Am I wrong?

I'd hate to get sentenced to a stint in Yellowknife. "Good news! Summer is on a weekend this year!"
There are provincial/territorial corrections and federal corrections. No private prisons. Where you go depends on if your sentence is two years or greater.

So shouldn't Fabrikant be in federal prison? So it shouldn't matter if the province allows inmates access to the internet or not.

He is currently in Archembault Institute which is a federal prison. Supposedly prisoners there live the good life. Fabrikant has apparently been able to conduct research while incarcerated. The Canadian legal system is disgusting.

I suspect one's opinion of any country's legal system depends on which side of it you are.

As an example, "Unhand that man!" means something very different in some penal systems than others.

Likes Bystander
Mondayman said:
He is currently in Archembault Institute which is a federal prison. Supposedly prisoners there live the good life. Fabrikant has apparently been able to conduct research while incarcerated. The Canadian legal system is disgusting.
When you can give first-class treatment to people everybody hates, imagine how well the rest of the population is well treated.

I live in Canada and I can reassure you that I'm not thinking of hurting others because criminals have it "easy".

On the contrary, I'm reassured that if I stray away from the righteous path, people will do whatever possible to help me rather than simply wreak vengeance on me. History clearly showed us that this accomplishes nothing positive.

Likes Bandersnatch and Wrichik Basu