Having trouble finding equation of one question.

• Thread starter Sullivan
  • Start date
In summary, the pickup truck passed the police car travelling at 28 m/s, and the car then accelerated to 2.0 m/s2 until it caught up to the truck. The time elapsed until the car caught up to the truck was 12 m/s.
Sullivan
Have a very basic physics assignment due tomorrow, and am having trouble finding out an equation for one question.

Here is the problem. I'm sorry it's so basic. I've never done physics in my life. I find it beautiful and fascinating, but I am just starting out. I'd love if someone could give me a hand. I have a hard time sometimes deciphering word problems like these:

A pickup truck, traveling north at 144 km/h, overtakes and passes a police car traveling north at 28 m/s. Just as the pickup passes the police car, the car accelerates at 2.0 m/s2 until it catches up with the pickup.

Assuming the pickup does not speed up or slow down, calculate:
a) the time elapsed until the police car catches the pickup
b) the displacement of the police car and the pickup.
c) the final velocity of the police car

So we know the velocity of the pickup (p) to be 40 m/s, it's acceleration is 0, as it's velocity is constant, we don't know it's time or displacement.

The car's (c) initial velocity is 28 m/s, and it's final velocity is unknown. It's acceleration is 2.0 m/s2 and it's displacement is also unknown.

I've set t(p) = t(c), but every calculation I get has too many unknown variables, so I'm thinking substitution will be necessary. I just can't for the life of me figure out what that substition is. I'd really love some help on this. Thanks so much! I'll continue to work on this myself in the meantime. I thought maybe I could find time(p) by using the a=v/t equation, but since a=0, I get a division by zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there, and welcome to Physics Forums.

To start, don't get discouraged about having trouble with a problem, even if it seems simple. Physics requires a great deal of problem solving, and anyone who is good at physics has had to do a ton of problems and exercises with it.

For the first part, try setting up equations for the displacement of each of the vehicles. You know that the car eventually catches up to the truck, so the displacements must be equal. If you set these equal to each other, you can solve for the time, and you shouldn't be stuck with other unknowns.

Using your method of t(p) = t(c) should also work, but I think the problem is going to be solving for t in these equations. Especially if the time is squared, it's going to get complicated, so I would stick to the basic forms.

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I'm dedicated to getting an A in this course, so your help is really appreciated. I try my best to figure things out on my own but sometimes I have to ask for help.

So... If I understand correctly, since the displacement and time will be the same, d(p) = d (c), v initial (p) * t + 1/2 * a (p) * t^2 = v initial (p) * t + 1/2 * a (c) * t^2
so 40 m/s * t + 1/2 * 0 m/s^2 * t^2 = 28 m/s + 1/2 * 2.0 m/s2 * t^2
12 m/s = 1 m/s^2 * t^2
t= 2sqrt(3) s?

It looks like you lost a t along the way -- when you have the 28 m/s, there's also a t multiplied behind it, if you look at the equation above it.

I'd also recommend to leave everything as a variable until the very end, since this usually makes it easier to solve, and you don't have to worry about writing down potentially large numbers at every step.

So if you start here:
$$v_{t}t = v_{c}t + \frac{1}{2}at^{2}$$
Where ##v_{t}## is the speed of the truck, and ##v_{c}## is the speed of the car, then isolate t (so that you have it in terms of all the other variables), then you can substitute.

And if you want to do the fancy writing for equations and writing, just put all of the text you want modified between [ itex ] and [ /itex ], but without the spaces.

So the raw text you type in looks like:
[ itex ] stuff [ /itex ]
But without the spaces around itex and /itex.

You can read more here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 -- but don't worry about learning a whole new language just to ask a physics question.

That looks like a language very well worth learning. Thanks for introducing it to me. I'll do some reading when I'm done this assignment :]

Thanks for spotting my error.

So I manipulated the v(truck) * t = v initial (car) * t + 1/2 a * t^2 and got 2 * (v (truck) - v initial (car)) / a = t

and plugged everything in at the end like you said and got t= 12s

*plug that back into the formula for displacement and get 480 m as displacement.

use final velocity^2 = initial velocity^2 + 2a∆x to get final velocity, which comes out to 59.0 m/s

I think that's it! ..?

Last edited:
Yes, it's really worth it to learn, especially if you use the forums a lot. It just makes everything look nice.

The time and displacement are both right, but I got 52 m/s for the final velocity -- maybe you had a typo somewhere? But other than that, you're all done. Glad you were able to work it all out :)

Ah. That's right. I think I input my fields wrong in my calculator. Yikes! I tried again and got 52 myself. Yay!

It's quite a good feeling when you get something right. Even though I received lots of help. Thanks again for helping me and the welcome to the forum!

1. What is the process for finding the equation of a given question?

The process for finding the equation of a question depends on the context of the question. If the question is related to a mathematical or scientific problem, the equation can be found by identifying the known values, variables, and relationships between them. If the question is related to a real-world situation, the equation may involve gathering data, making observations, and using models or formulas to describe the relationship.

2. How do I know if I have the right equation for a question?

To determine if you have the right equation for a question, you can plug in the given values and variables and see if the resulting answer matches the expected outcome. You can also check if the equation follows the rules and principles of the specific field of study. Additionally, it can be helpful to double-check your work and consult with others, such as peers or experts, for validation.

3. What should I do if I am having trouble finding the equation of a question?

If you are having trouble finding the equation of a question, it can be helpful to break down the question into smaller parts and identify the key components. You can also try different approaches or methods, such as using different formulas or models. It can also be beneficial to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or online resources for guidance and support.

4. Are there any tips or strategies for finding equations of questions more easily?

One tip for finding equations of questions more easily is to practice and familiarize yourself with common formulas and models in your field of study. Another strategy is to approach the question from different angles and use visualization techniques to understand the relationships between variables. You can also try to connect the question to real-world scenarios to gain a better understanding of the problem.

5. Can I use a calculator or computer program to find the equation of a question?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer program to find the equation of a question, especially for complex or advanced problems. However, it is essential to have a basic understanding of the principles and concepts behind the equation and not solely rely on technology. It is also important to check your work and understand the steps and reasoning behind the solution.