Having Trouble With an Intergration Problem

In summary: Therefore, the correct answer is V = (9π/2)(1 - (3/2) ln 2).In summary, the equation of a curve is given as y = 9 / (2 - x). By rotating the region bounded by the curve, the coordinate axes, and the line x = 1 through 360° about the x-axis, we can calculate the volume using the formula V = ∏ ∫ y2 dx. After squaring the equation, the expression is integrated using the substitution u=(2-x) and the Second Theorem of Pappus. The correct answer is V = (9π/2)(1 - (3/2) ln 2).
Mikry
I am given that the equation of a curve is y = 9 / (2 - x). They then ask me to find the volume obtained by the region bounded by the curve, the coordinate axes and the line x = 1 when the region is rotated through 360° about the x-axis.

My attempt:

To calculate this I must use the format of V = ∏ ∫ y2 dx. Thus I square the equation, giving me 81 / (2 - x)2.

Now I need to integrate the expression. Here is where I think I'm going wrong...expand the bottom term to get x2 - 4x + 4.
I then try to integrate this expansion, getting 81 / (2x - 4) ln |x2 - 4x + 4|.

This gives me the final equation of V = ∏ [81 / (2x - 4) ln |x2 - 4x + 4|] from x = 0 to x = 1

Long story short I don't come to the right answer after all of that. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something easy and obvious. :frown: Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mikry said:
I am given that the equation of a curve is y = 9 / (2 - x). They then ask me to find the volume obtained by the region bounded by the curve, the coordinate axes and the line x = 1 when the region is rotated through 360° about the x-axis.

My attempt:

To calculate this I must use the format of V = ∏ ∫ y2 dx. Thus I square the equation, giving me 81 / (2 - x)2.

Now I need to integrate the expression. Here is where I think I'm going wrong...expand the bottom term to get x2 - 4x + 4.

This gives me the final equation of V = ∏ [81 / (2x - 4) ln |x2 - 4x + 4|] from x = 0 to x = 1

Long story short I don't come to the right answer after all of that. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something easy and obvious. :frown: Please help!

You didn't integrate that correctly at all. Use the substitution u=(2-x). What's the integral of 1/u^2=u^(-2)?

Mikry said:

My attempt:

Your method of obtaining the volume is incorrect.

Review the Second Theorem of Pappus:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PappussCentroidTheorem.html

SteamKing said:
Your method of obtaining the volume is incorrect.
I see no problem with the formulation of the integral, but as Dick notes, the algebra went awry from there.

1. What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is typically solved using integration techniques, such as the definite or indefinite integral.

2. Why do people have trouble with integration problems?

Integration problems can be challenging because they require a solid understanding of calculus concepts and techniques. Additionally, they often involve multiple steps and require careful attention to detail.

3. What are some strategies for solving integration problems?

Some strategies for solving integration problems include identifying the appropriate integration technique, using algebraic manipulation, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of integration problems.

4. How can I check my answer to an integration problem?

One way to check your answer to an integration problem is to take the derivative of your solution and see if it matches the original function. You can also use online calculators or ask a teacher or tutor for help.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration problems include forgetting to include the constant of integration, overlooking algebraic simplification, and making calculation errors. It is also important to carefully check your work and make sure it aligns with the given problem.