Heat and mass transfer analogy to find average Nusselt no.

In summary: As)∫hm(r)DdAs = (1/As)∫havDdAs = NuavTherefore, the final expression for the average Nusselt number is:Nuav = havDkPr^0.36Sc^-0.36[1 + a(r/ro)^0.36]In summary, the expression for the average Nusselt number (Nuav) corresponding to heat transfer from an isothermal disk is given by:Nuav = havDkPr^0.36Sc^-0.36[1 + a(r/ro
milkchocolate
I am trying to find an expression for the average Nusselt number corresponding to heat transfer from an isothermal disk.

Given:

ShD≡hm(r)D/DAB=Sho[1 + a (r/ro)n] (1)

Sho=hm(r=0)D/DAB=0.814ReD1/2Sc0.36 (2)

Relevant equations:
Average nusselt number is defined as Nuav=havD/k
where k is thermal conductivity, D is diameter of disk and hav is average convection coefficient.

The heat and mass transfer analogy states that
Nuav/Prn=Shav/Scn (3)

Sh is Sherwood number, Nu is Nusselt number, Pr is Prandtl and Sc is Schmidt. In this case n=0.36, from given data.

hav is defined as: hav=(1/As)∫ h dAs (4)

where you integrate h, the convection coefficient, over the surface area, As.

Solution??
If I solve for hm(r) in (1), and integrate over the surface area, I am still stuck with the constant (DAB/D), but this should NOT be in the final answer. This is obviously the wrong approach, but the rest of the answer is correct, so I am on to something, I am just not sure how to use the analogy correctly.

Somehow I need to use the analogy and combine it with the formula for hav to obtain the average Nusselt number. Apparently the solution is to integrate Sho[1 + a (r/ro)n] over the area As, and just replace Sho with 0.814ReD1/2Pr0.36. But why can I do this? I understand that it has something to do with the analogy, but I don't understand how or why. Can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Let me try to explain the solution in a step-by-step manner.

Step 1: Solving for hm(r)
As you correctly mentioned, we need to solve for hm(r) in equation (1) in order to obtain the expression for the average Nusselt number. To do this, we can rearrange equation (1) as follows:

ShD/Sho = 1 + a(r/ro)n
hm(r)D/DAB = 1 + a(r/ro)n

Now, we know that ShD/Sho = 1 at the center of the disk (r=0), so we can substitute this into the above equation to get:

hm(r=0)D/DAB = 1 + a(0/ro)n
hm(r=0)D/DAB = 1

Therefore, we can rewrite equation (1) as:

hm(r)D/DAB = 1 + a(r/ro)n

Step 2: Using the heat and mass transfer analogy
Next, we can use the heat and mass transfer analogy (equation 3) to relate the Sherwood and Nusselt numbers. Substituting n=0.36 (from given data) into equation (3), we get:

Nuav/Pr^0.36 = Shav/Sc^0.36

Step 3: Solving for Shav
To solve for Shav, we can use the definition of average Nusselt number (Nuav = havD/k) and the definition of average convection coefficient (equation 4). Substituting these into equation (3), we get:

havD/kPr^0.36 = Shav/Sc^0.36

Solving for Shav, we get:

Shav = havDkPr^0.36Sc^-0.36

Step 4: Substituting for Shav in equation (1)
Now, we can substitute the expression for Shav into equation (1) to get:

hm(r)D/DAB = havDkPr^0.36Sc^-0.36[1 + a(r/ro)^0.36]

Step 5: Integrating over the surface area
Finally, we can integrate this equation over the surface area (As) to get the average Nusselt number (Nuav). Using equation (4) and the fact

1. How is heat transfer related to mass transfer?

Heat and mass transfer are related in the sense that both are forms of energy transfer. In heat transfer, energy is transferred from a higher temperature region to a lower temperature region, while in mass transfer, mass is transferred from a higher concentration region to a lower concentration region. Additionally, the same mechanisms that govern heat transfer, such as conduction, convection, and radiation, also play a role in mass transfer.

2. What is the Nusselt number and how is it related to heat and mass transfer?

The Nusselt number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of convective to conductive heat transfer. It is often used in heat transfer correlations to characterize the heat transfer rate between a solid surface and a fluid. In the case of mass transfer, the Nusselt number is used to characterize the transfer of mass between a solid surface and a fluid.

3. How can the heat and mass transfer analogy be used to find the average Nusselt number?

The heat and mass transfer analogy uses the concept of similarity between heat and mass transfer processes. By equating the heat transfer and mass transfer equations and applying appropriate boundary conditions, the average Nusselt number can be calculated. This approach is often used in problems involving simultaneous heat and mass transfer, such as in heat exchangers.

4. What are the limitations of using the heat and mass transfer analogy to find the average Nusselt number?

One limitation of the heat and mass transfer analogy is that it assumes similar flow characteristics for both heat and mass transfer, which may not always be the case. Additionally, this approach may not be applicable for highly complex and non-uniform flow conditions. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the analogy before applying it to a problem.

5. Can the heat and mass transfer analogy be extended to other types of transfer, such as momentum transfer?

Yes, the heat and mass transfer analogy can be extended to other forms of energy and mass transfer, such as momentum transfer. This is known as the Reynolds analogy, which relates the Nusselt number to the dimensionless Reynolds and Prandtl numbers. This analogy is commonly used in problems involving fluid flow and heat transfer, such as in heat exchangers and boundary layer flows.