Heat transfer direction in fins

In summary, the direction of heat transfer in a triangular fin is determined by the boundary conditions, not the varying area. The equations used in the energy balance equation can be modified to change the heat transfer direction.
roughwinds

Homework Statement

I'm unsure of what exactly is changing the heat transfer direction in the triangular fin.

Homework Equations

$$q_{x} = -kA(x)\frac{dT(x)}{dx} (1)$$
$$q_{x+dx} = -kA(x)\frac{dT(x)}{dx} - k\frac{d}{dx}[A(x)\frac{dT(x)}{dx}] (2)$$
$$dq_{conv} = h(x)dS(x)P[T(x) - T_{∞}] (3)$$
A = cross-sectional area m²
q = heat transfer rate W
h = convection heat transfer coefficient W/m²K
k = thermal conductivity W/mK
T = temperature K
dq = convection heat transfer rate
dS = surface area of the differential element
Tb = base surface temperature K
A0 = base area
L = length

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy balance:
$$q_{x} = dq_{conv} + - q_{x+dx} (4)$$
Substitute (1), (2) and (3) in (4):
$$\frac{d}{dx}[A(x)\frac{dT(x)}{dx}] - \frac{h(x)dS(x)}{kdx}[T(x) - T_{∞}] (5)$$
$$X = \frac{x}{L}$$
$$\theta(X) = \frac{T(X) - T_{∞}}{T_{b} - T_{∞}}$$
$$K(X) = \frac{A(X)}{A_{0}}$$
$$W(X) = \frac{h(X)dS(X)}{P_{0}h_{av}dX}$$
$$M = mL$$
$$m² = \frac{h_{av}P_{0}}{kA_{0}}$$
$$\frac{dS(X)}{dX} = p(X)$$
Substitute into (5) and rearrange:
$$\frac{d}{dX}[K(X)\frac{d\theta(X)}{dX}] - W(X)M²\theta(X) = 0 (6)$$

Rectangular profile:
1.png

A(X) = A0, K(X) = 1, W(X) = 1
$$\frac{d}{dX}[\frac{d\theta(X)}{dX}] - M²\theta(X) = 0$$

Triangular profile:
2.png

A(X) =/= A0, K(X) = ~ X, W(X) = 1
$$\frac{d}{dX}[X\frac{d\theta(X)}{dX}] - M²\theta(X) = 0$$

I did the energy balance thinking of the heat going from left to right like it's shown on the rectangular fin, but on the triangular fin it goes on the opposite direction. Which is fine for what I want to do, but why exactly does this happen? Due to the equations involved the heat will only move from a bigger to an equal or smaller area? Which adjustments would I have to make to change the heat transfer direction and make a fin like this:
3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you be a bit clearer as to the original problem you are trying to solve (rather than the problem you're having with it...). I think I could figure that out with some effort but I'm not inclined to exert that effort right now.

I did the energy balance thinking of the heat going from left to right like it's shown on the rectangular fin, but on the triangular fin it goes on the opposite direction. Which is fine for what I want to do, but why exactly does this happen? Due to the equations involved the heat will only move from a bigger to an equal or smaller area? Which adjustments would I have to make to change the heat transfer direction and make a fin like this:
View attachment 103858
The direction that the heat flows has nothing to do with how the area is varying. It has everything to do with how the temperature is varying. This is determined the the boundary conditions on the fin. What are the boundary conditions being applied on the two ends of your fin?

1. How does heat transfer occur in fins?

Heat transfer in fins occurs through conduction, where heat is transferred from a hot source to a cooler source through direct contact.

2. What is the direction of heat transfer in fins?

The direction of heat transfer in fins is from the hot base to the cooler tip. This is because the base of the fin is in direct contact with the heat source, while the tip is exposed to the surrounding air or fluid which is cooler.

3. What factors affect the direction of heat transfer in fins?

The direction of heat transfer in fins is affected by the temperature difference between the base and tip of the fin, the thermal conductivity of the fin material, and the surface area and thickness of the fin.

4. Can heat transfer direction be reversed in fins?

Yes, the direction of heat transfer in fins can be reversed by changing the temperature difference between the base and tip of the fin. This can be achieved by altering the heat source or by using a heat sink at the tip of the fin.

5. How can heat transfer direction in fins be optimized?

Heat transfer direction in fins can be optimized by increasing the surface area and thickness of the fin, using materials with high thermal conductivity, and ensuring a large temperature difference between the base and tip of the fin.