Heat conduction (Fourier complex integral)

In summary, the problem involves a semi-infinite bar with unit thermal conductivity that is insulated at one end and constantly heated at the other end. The temperature is represented by a delta function and the task is to find the temperature using a Fourier transform. The solution involves several integrations by parts and assuming that there is no heat transfer at the insulated end. The final solution is given as an integral that involves the error function, but it is uncertain if it is the correct solution. Further work is needed to manipulate the integral and determine if it is the correct solution.
jrp131191

Homework Statement

A semi-infinite bar (0 < x < 1) with unit thermal conductivity is fully insulated
at x = 0, and is constantly heated at x = 1 over such a narrow interval that the
heating may be represented by a delta function:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}+\delta (x-1)[/itex]

where U(x,t) is the temperature. Assuming the initial temperature is zero through-
out, and that U -> 0 as x ->\infty 1, find U(x,t) using the appropriate Fourier trans-
form in x. In particular, show that

[itex]U(1,t)=\frac{(1+e^{-1/t})\sqrt{t}}{\sqrt{\pi }}+erf(\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}})-1[/itex]

My main problem is that this is the first time I am solving this type of problem and every example I have tried to compare mine with never involves the dirac function so I can't be certain or not if I have the right solution.. Also I've never worked with the error function and have no idea how one would manipulate my final answer so that I can show U(1,t)

Homework Equations

If : [itex]f(\lambda )=\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }e^{-i\lambda x}F(u)du[/itex]

Then : [itex]F(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }e^{i\lambda x}f(\lambda)d\lambda[/itex]

Also : [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty }\delta (x-a)f(x)dx=f(a)[/itex]

And for the final bit : [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{cos\lambda x}{\lambda^2 }(1-e^{-\lambda^2 t})d\lambda =\sqrt{\pi t}e^{\frac{-x^2}{4t}}+\frac{\pi }{2}(xerf(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{t}}-\left | x \right |)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin by definining:

[itex]u(\lambda ,t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-i\lambda x}U(x,t)d\lambda \\[/itex]

Then taking the Fourier transform with respect to x:

[itex]F[\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}]=F[\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}+\delta (x-1)]\\[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+\int_{0}^{\infty}\delta (x-1)e^{-i\lambda x}dx\\[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Then using integration by parts:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\left [ \frac{\partial U}{\partial x}e^{-i\lambda x} \right ]_{0}^{\infty }+i\lambda \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Here I used the fact that at x=0 the rod is "fully insulated" thus I believe the heat transfer here will remain 0?

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=i\lambda \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Using integration by parts again:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\left [ U(x,t)e^{-i\lambda x} \right ]_{0}^{\infty }+i^2\lambda^2 \int_{0}^{\infty }U(x,t)e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\*[/itex]

And again by the fact that at x=0 no heat should be exchanged:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=-\lambda^2 \int_{0}^{\infty }U(x,t)e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=-\lambda^2 u(\lambda ,t)+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Solving this simple ODE with the initial conditions I obtain:

[itex]U(x,t)=\frac{e^{-i\lambda} (1-e^{-\lambda^2 t})}{\lambda^2 }\\[/itex]

[itex]U(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{i\lambda x}\frac{e^{-i\lambda} (1-e^{-\lambda^2 t})}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda [/itex]

Now I have absolutely NO idea how to get this into the integral they have given me for the final bit or if I have even done this right. Actually I also tried to expand this as an even series and you get exactly what they have given me.

A little bit more work I've done.. again have no idea if its right because I don't know if this solution is correct but:

[itex]U(1,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{1-e^{-\lambda^2 t}}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda \\[/itex]

[itex]U(1,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{1}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda-\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{e^{-\lambda^2 t}}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda \\[/itex]

The integral on the left causes some problems, and I can see that the integral on the right is related to the error function but not sure what to do with the denominator in there..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody? :(

It would help just to even know that I have come to the right final solution!

1. What is heat conduction and how does it work?

Heat conduction is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference between them. This transfer occurs through the movement of heat from the hotter object to the cooler one until both objects reach thermal equilibrium. This process is governed by the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the second law which states that heat will always flow from a higher temperature to a lower temperature.

2. What is the Fourier complex integral in heat conduction?

The Fourier complex integral is a mathematical tool used to solve heat conduction problems. It involves converting the heat conduction equation into a complex integral form, which allows for easier manipulation and solution. It takes into account the spatial variation of temperature in the object as well as the thermal properties of the material.

3. How is heat conduction affected by the properties of the material?

The properties of the material, such as thermal conductivity, specific heat, and density, greatly affect the rate of heat conduction. Materials with high thermal conductivity, low specific heat, and low density will conduct heat more easily and quickly compared to materials with low thermal conductivity, high specific heat, and high density.

4. What are some real-life examples of heat conduction?

Heat conduction is a common phenomenon that occurs in many daily activities. Some examples include cooking on a stove, ironing clothes, and using a radiator to heat a room. It is also the process by which our body regulates its temperature through sweating and the transfer of heat to the environment.

5. How is heat conduction different from convection and radiation?

Heat conduction, convection, and radiation are all methods of heat transfer, but they differ in their mechanism. Heat conduction occurs through direct contact between objects, while convection involves the movement of fluids due to temperature differences. Radiation, on the other hand, is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Heat conduction is the most relevant method in solid materials, while convection and radiation are more prominent in fluids and gases.