Why Does Increasing the Cross-Sectional Area of a Wire Reduce Heat Dissipation?

In summary, increasing the cross sectional area of a resistor will decrease its resistance, but the effect on the dissipated heat will vary depending on the overall resistance of the circuit. In certain scenarios, increasing the cross sectional area may not necessarily decrease the heat dissipated in the resistor. It is important to correctly apply Ohm's Law and consider the overall circuit when analyzing the effect of cross sectional area on heat dissipation.
PFuser1232
The power dissipated in a resistor of resistance ##R## with current ##I## passing through it is ##I^2 R##. We can write ##R## as ##\rho \frac{L}{A}## where ##L## is the length of the wire and ##A## is the cross sectional area of the wire. Clearly, increasing ##A## decreases ##R##. Why is less heat dissipated in thicker wires, though? I thought changing the resistance of the wire changes the current passing through it as well. How can we guarantee from the equation ##P = \frac{\rho L I^2}{A}## that increasing ##A## decreases ##P##? Isn't ##I## functionally dependent on ##R##?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are not applying ohms law correctly. Given a current of 1 ampere through a resistor of 1 ohm will cause a dissipation of 1 watt. There will also be a voltage drop across the resistor of 1 volt. Nothing in ohms law says that says that decreasing the resistance forces the current to increase unless the voltage is fixed. Solve some problems with a voltage source and multiple series resistors. Make some of the resistors several thousand times the value of the smallest resistor which would represent the wire. Changing the smallest resistor slightly will not affect the current in the circuit very much at all. You are not the first poster here who has had similar questions. Strangely enough though, the first time I saw this type of question asked was here on physics forums.

It depends on whether you are in a constant current or a constant voltage situation. If the current I is held constant, then everything is as you have written it, and the current is independent of the area A. If you apply a constant voltage to the wire, then the current through the wire is [itex] \frac {V}{R}[/itex], and the power dissipated is [itex]\frac{V^2}{R}[/itex]. In this case, increasing A will cause R to decrease, I to increase, and the power dissipation to increase.

Averagesupernova said:
You are not applying ohms law correctly. Given a current of 1 ampere through a resistor of 1 ohm will cause a dissipation of 1 watt. There will also be a voltage drop across the resistor of 1 volt. Nothing in ohms law says that says that decreasing the resistance forces the current to increase unless the voltage is fixed. Solve some problems with a voltage source and multiple series resistors. Make some of the resistors several thousand times the value of the smallest resistor which would represent the wire. Changing the smallest resistor slightly will not affect the current in the circuit very much at all. You are not the first poster here who has had similar questions. Strangely enough though, the first time I saw this type of question asked was here on physics forums.

Averagesupernova said:

So the effect of cross sectional area on the dissipated heat I described above only applies to wires which typically have a much smaller resistance than all other components in a circuit. Increasing the cross sectional area of a resistor with significant resistance might not necessarily decrease the heat dissipated in the resistor, right?

MohammedRady97 said:
How can we guarantee from the equation P=ρLI2AP = \frac{\rho L I^2}{A} that increasing A decreases P ? Isn't I functionally dependent on R ?

You cannot guarantee it.

As previous posters pointed out, this is not a physics problem but an algebra problem.

If I is a function of A and you wish to vary A , your equation ought to express I in terms of A

MohammedRady97 said:
So the effect of cross sectional area on the dissipated heat I described above only applies to wires which typically have a much smaller resistance than all other components in a circuit. Increasing the cross sectional area of a resistor with significant resistance might not necessarily decrease the heat dissipated in the resistor, right?
Jim Hardy pointed it out quite well. It's a math problem. In a resistor any time you double the current through said resistor you will double the power it dissipates. But that scenario isn't exactly what you questioned in your original post. At least through my interpretation. Don't give up. We're here to help.

1. What is heat dissipation in wires?

Heat dissipation in wires refers to the process by which heat energy is transferred from the wires to the surrounding environment, typically through conduction and convection. This is an important concept to consider when designing electrical systems, as excessive heat can lead to damage and malfunction.

2. Why is heat dissipation important in wires?

Heat dissipation is important in wires because it helps prevent overheating, which can lead to performance issues and even safety hazards. By dissipating heat, wires are able to maintain a safe operating temperature and ensure efficient energy transfer.

3. What factors affect heat dissipation in wires?

The main factors that affect heat dissipation in wires include the material of the wire, its diameter, and the surrounding environment. Different materials have varying levels of conductivity and resistance, while a larger diameter allows for more surface area for heat to dissipate. The ambient temperature and air flow around the wires also play a role in heat dissipation.

4. How can heat dissipation in wires be improved?

There are several ways to improve heat dissipation in wires. One way is to use wires with higher conductivity and lower resistance, such as copper or aluminum. Increasing the surface area of the wires, either through a larger diameter or by using multiple smaller wires, can also improve heat dissipation. Additionally, ensuring proper ventilation and air flow around the wires can help dissipate heat more efficiently.

5. What are the potential consequences of poor heat dissipation in wires?

Poor heat dissipation in wires can lead to a variety of consequences, including reduced performance, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to the wires or surrounding components. In extreme cases, it can also pose a safety hazard, as overheated wires may melt or start a fire. It is important to properly consider and address heat dissipation in wire design to prevent these negative outcomes.