Heat equation on infinite domain

In summary: Good job!In summary, the solution to the heat equation in an infinite domain involves complex constants and a Fourier transform. The approach taken in the conversation involves expressing the solution as a sum of integrals and using the Fourier transform to simplify it. The question of whether the constant ##C(\omega)## is complex conjugate is not directly related to solving the heat equation, but it was demonstrated that if the initial condition is a real function, then ##C(\omega)## is indeed complex conjugate.
solanojedi
Hi everyone, I'm reading this paper about the solution of the heat equation inside an infinite domain: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathema...quations-fall-2006/lecture-notes/fourtran.pdf
1) Please let me know if the following discussion is correct.
The solution ##\Psi(x,t)## reported is the following $$\Psi (x,t)= \int_{0}^{+\infty} [A(\omega) \cos(\omega x)+ B(\omega) sin( \omega x) ] e^{-\kappa \omega^{2}t} d\omega.$$ From second order ODE theory, the ##x## dependent part of the solution can be rewritten to get two complex exponentials $$\Psi (x,t)= \int_{0}^{+\infty} [c_{1}(\omega) e^{i\omega x}+ c_{2}(\omega) e^{-i\omega x} ] e^{-\kappa \omega^{2}t} d\omega.$$ The difference between the two expression should be that ##c_1(\omega)## and ##c_2(\omega)## are complex, while ##A(\omega)## and ##B(\omega)## are real (since the solution ##\Psi(x,t)## is real). Now, if I want to explicit the Fourier Transform inside the solution, I can decompose the solution in the sum of two integrals
$$\Psi (x,t)= \int_{0}^{+\infty} c_{1}(\omega) e^{i\omega x} e^{-\kappa \omega^{2}t} d\omega + \int_{0}^{+\infty} c_{2}(\omega) e^{-i\omega x} e^{-\kappa \omega^{2}t} d\omega$$ and changing the sign on the second integral we get $$\int_{0}^{+\infty} c_{1}(\omega) e^{i\omega x} e^{-\kappa \omega^{2}t} d\omega + \int_{-\infty}^{0} c_{2}(-\omega) e^{i\omega x} e^{-\kappa \omega^{2}t} d\omega = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} C(\omega) e^{i\omega x} e^{-\kappa \omega^{2}t} d\omega,$$ where ##C(\omega)=\begin{cases} c_{1}(\omega), ~~\omega \geq 0 \\ c_{2} (-\omega), ~~\omega<0 \end{cases}.## Hence we get the full Fourier transform inside the solution. ##C(\omega)## will be evalued from the initial condition of the problem. Is this approach correct?

2) if this approach is correct, how can I now show that ##C(\omega)## is complex conjugate? From Fourier theory, supposing the signal ##\Psi(x,t)## and the initial conditions are real functions, the transform ##C(\omega)## should be complex conjugate, but in this general situation I'm stucked with the two functions ##c_{1}## and ##c_2## while I should get something like ##C(-\omega)=C^{*}(\omega)##...

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
solanojedi said:
Is this approach correct?
Although what you have done is technically correct, I think it would have been more straight forward to just evaluate the real integrals as done in the paper you linked. You have shifted the work from evaluating those integrals to evaluating the form of ##C(\omega)## which will require a Fourier transform of the initial condition. Granted, this would be a clever approach if the initial condition was something simple like a delta function.
solanojedi said:
how can I now show that C(ω)C(ω)C(\omega) is complex conjugate?
Why do you want to show this? I don't see what it has to do with solving the heat equation.

Hi NFuller, thank you for your answer!
NFuller said:
Why do you want to show this? I don't see what it has to do with solving the heat equation.
I have to admit that it has nothing to do with it. :)
However, when I got to the point of defining the ##C(\omega)## as ##c_1(\omega)## and ##c_2(\omega)## I questioned myself about how these two different constants could be rearranged to get the situation where ##C(-\omega)=C^{*}(\omega)## (since the initial conditions and hence ##\Psi(x,t)## are real functions) and I wasn't able to solve it.

However, maybe a possible demonstration would be that since the definition of ##C(\omega)## is the Fourier transform of the initial condition ##\Psi(x,0)=f(x) ## we have $$C(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x) e^{-i\omega x} dx$$ and we can write $$C(-\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x) e^{i\omega x} dx$$ and $$C^{*}(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f^{*}(x) e^{i\omega x} dx$$ that are equal having ##f(x)=f^{*}(x)##, i.e. ##f(x)## is real.
It seems to work for me.

solanojedi said:
that are equal having f(x)=f∗(x)f(x)=f∗(x)f(x)=f^{*}(x), i.e. f(x)f(x)f(x) is real.
Yes, it seems that if ##f## is real then this works.

1. What is the heat equation on an infinite domain?

The heat equation on an infinite domain is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of heat over time in a medium with no boundaries. It is a fundamental equation in heat transfer and is used to model a variety of physical systems.

2. What are the assumptions made in the heat equation on an infinite domain?

The heat equation on an infinite domain assumes that the medium is homogeneous, meaning that it has the same properties and composition throughout. It also assumes that there are no external heat sources or sinks, and that the temperature change is small enough to be considered linear.

3. How is the heat equation on an infinite domain solved?

The heat equation on an infinite domain is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms. These techniques allow for the determination of the temperature distribution over time in the medium.

4. What are the applications of the heat equation on an infinite domain?

The heat equation on an infinite domain has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to model heat transfer in materials, thermal conduction in electronic devices, and the spread of diseases in a population.

5. What are the limitations of the heat equation on an infinite domain?

The heat equation on an infinite domain has some limitations, such as assuming a constant thermal conductivity and neglecting convection effects. It also cannot account for sudden changes in boundary conditions or non-linear temperature changes. Additionally, it is not applicable for domains with varying properties or boundaries.