Heat equilibrium between two different rods

In summary, at equilibrium, the temperature of the point where the two metals are joined is equal to the temperature of the brass part and the temperature of the aluminium part. The algebra is correct, but the statement is not.
Ojizo88
[SOLVED] Heat equilibrium between two different rods

Homework Statement

A rod 1.3 m long consists of a 0.8 m length of Aluminium joined end-to-end to a 0.5 m length of brass. The free end of the aluminium section is maintained at 150 oC and the free end of the brass piece is maintained at 20 oC. No heat is lost through the sides of the rod. In the steady state, what is the temperature of the point where the two metals are joined ? (Thermal conductivity of brass k_b = 109 W/mK and Thermal conductivity of Aluminum k_a = 237 W/mK).

Homework Equations

[tex]H=-kA[/tex] [tex]\frac{\Delta T}{\Delta x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, you know in steady state that there is no net heat flow so H_aluminum = H_brass. So you have...(I give up for tying to figure this formatting out for now so please forgive me)

[tex](-k_{a} A (T_{h} - T_{e})) / l_{a} = (-k_{b} A (T_{e} - T_{c})) / l_{b}[/tex] , with [tex]T_{e}[/tex] being the point in the middle and [tex]T_{h}[/tex] and [tex]T_{c}[/tex] being the hold and cold ends respectively.

Since the cross sectional area of the two are the same, those will cancel and youre left with...

[tex](-k_{a} T_{h} + k_{a} T_{e}) / l_{a} = (-k_{b} T_{e} + k_{b} T_{c}) / l_{b}[/tex]

solving for [tex]T_{e}[/tex] you get...

[tex]k_{a} T_{h} l_{b} + k_{b} T_{c} l_{a} = k_{b} T_{e} l_{a} + k_{a} T_{e} l_{b}[/tex]
Which then goes to...
[tex]T_{e} = (k_{a} T_{h} l_{b} + k_{b} T_{c} l_{a}) / (k_{b} l_{a} + k_{a} l_{b})[/tex]

However, when I put in the values I have, I get an answer HIGHER than the original [tex]T_{h}[/tex]!

I don't get what I am doing wrong here.

I have a problem after this where I have to solve for [tex]T_{e}[/tex] when 3 rods come together but I clearly can't do that one properly if I can't solve this one first!

Physics news on Phys.org
Little bump before bed. Maybe someone can figure out what I am doing incorrectly :(

You are doing incorrect arithmetics, that's all. Recheck you calc. The ans should be 95 C.

Shooting star said:
You are doing incorrect arithmetics, that's all. Recheck you calc. The ans should be 95 C.

Well is the algebra at least correct? Because I've gone over that time and time again and can't find anything wrong. Maybe I am losing the forest in the threes though...

The algebra is correct. Do the arithmetic very carefully once.

I forgot to mention this. You had written "Well, you know in steady state that there is no net heat flow..." That is not correct. In a steady state, heat does flow, but the temp at every point remains constant.

There is one thing I want to add here:

Your first equation is wrong in terms of + and -.

When your x goes up, your T will drop. This means you should say:

-ka.A.(-(Th-Te))/la = - kb.A.(-(Te-Tc))/lb

Shooting star said:
I forgot to mention this. You had written "Well, you know in steady state that there is no net heat flow..." That is not correct. In a steady state, heat does flow, but the temp at every point remains constant.

Firstly, thank you for the assistance. I found out where the wrong step was. I figured it was something I was doing wrong algebraically.

Secondly, I am sorry if I worded my statement improperly. I was trying to imply the fact that at the middle point, there is no NET heat flow that will cause a temperature change. It has come to equilibrium. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

What is heat equilibrium between two different rods?

Heat equilibrium between two different rods is the state in which two rods at different temperatures are in thermal equilibrium. This means that the heat energy is evenly distributed between the two rods and their temperatures are equal.

How is heat transferred between two different rods?

Heat can be transferred between two different rods through three methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between the two rods. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What factors affect the rate of heat transfer between two different rods?

The rate of heat transfer between two different rods is affected by several factors including the temperature difference between the two rods, the thermal conductivity of the materials, the surface area of the rods, and the distance between the two rods.

How can heat equilibrium between two different rods be achieved?

Heat equilibrium between two different rods can be achieved by allowing enough time for the heat to transfer between the two rods. This can be aided by increasing the surface area of the rods and reducing the distance between them. Additionally, using materials with high thermal conductivity can help achieve heat equilibrium faster.

What are the practical applications of understanding heat equilibrium between two different rods?

Understanding heat equilibrium between two different rods is important in many fields such as engineering, thermodynamics, and materials science. It is crucial in designing and constructing efficient cooling systems, heating systems, and heat exchangers. It is also important in understanding the behavior of different materials when exposed to varying temperatures.