Heaviside Function Homework: Laplace Transform w/ Right Shift

In summary, the conversation discusses how to take the Laplace transform of a given function, specifically -tH(t-1). The speaker suggests using the right shift technique to properly transform the function. They also mention using the Heaviside function as a multiplier and how the function and Heaviside function need to have the same shift for the formula to work. There is also a discussion about shifting quadratic functions and difficulties with viewing black boxes on the computer.
cragar

Homework Statement

how to i take the laplace transform of this ,

-tH(t-1)

so we need to get thr right shift so is it -(t-1 + 1 ) so do i take the laplace transform of
-(t+1) so would it be -(1/s^2 + 1/s ) *e^(-s)

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to calculate
[tex]- \int_0^\infty e^{-s t} t H(t - 1) \, \mathrm dt[/tex]

You can break up the integral in two parts: 0 < t < 1 and t > 1.

we can't just force the shift , if we had t^2H(t-1)
then to shift the quadratic we would (t-2+2)^ then we would expand
(t+2)^2 to t^2+4t+4 then take the laplace transform of that .

What do you want to shift? H(t - 1) is zero for t < 1, so

[tex]
\int_0^\infty f(t) H(t - 1) \, \mathrm dt
=
\int_0^1 0 \cdot f(t) \, \mathrm dt + \int_1^\infty 1 \cdot f(t) \, \mathrm dt
=
\int_1^\infty f(t) \, \mathrm dt
[/tex]
or am I really stupid?

Last edited:
um i don't know my teacher never really talked about it like that,
ur prolly right , and another thing i can't see what ever u typed in those black boxes
my computer won't let me so its hard for me to tell what ur doing .

I am sure ur right , but my teacher told us to take the laplace tranform
of a function time the heaviside function
he said the function needed to have the same shift as the heaviside
function in order for the formula to work .
f(t)H(t-1) = e^(-s)*L(f(t))

Related to Heaviside Function Homework: Laplace Transform w/ Right Shift

1. What is the Heaviside function?

The Heaviside function, also known as the unit step function, is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for negative values and 1 for positive values. It is often used in engineering and physics to model sudden changes or switches in a system.

2. How is the Heaviside function related to the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform of the Heaviside function is 1/s, where s is the Laplace transform variable. This means that the Heaviside function can be used to represent a step input in a system when using the Laplace transform method of solving differential equations.

3. What is a right shift in the context of Laplace transform with the Heaviside function?

A right shift in the context of Laplace transform with the Heaviside function refers to the addition of a time delay in the input signal. This means that the input signal will only start affecting the system after a certain amount of time has passed.

4. How do you solve Heaviside function homework problems involving Laplace transform with a right shift?

To solve these types of problems, you would first apply the Laplace transform to the input signal, taking into account any right shifts. Then, you would use the Laplace transform properties and the inverse Laplace transform to solve for the output signal in the time domain.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Heaviside function and Laplace transform with right shift?

The Heaviside function and Laplace transform with right shift have various applications in engineering and physics. For example, they can be used to model the charging and discharging of a capacitor, the response of electrical circuits to a sudden change in input, and the behavior of mechanical systems with inertia and damping.