Hecke Bound for Cusp - Modular Forms

In summary, the conversation is about a question on a piece of lecture notes. The person mentions two propositions, with the second one depending on the first. They thought they understood the first proposition but realized their reasoning was wrong when considering a specific case. They explain their reasoning and ask for help in identifying where they went wrong.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

i have a questions on the piece of lecture notes attached:

whatthehecke.png

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I agree 2) of proposition 2.12 holds once we have 1). I thought I understood the general idea of 1), however, my reasoning would hold for ##M_k## it does not depend on ##f(t)## being a cusp and so it must be wrong. This was what I thought was happening:

##q=e^{2\pi i n (u+iv)} ~ e^{-v} ## for large v, and exponential dominates over ##v ^ {x}## ( v>0 as on upper plane )

This would ofc still hold if I included some constant term, I would still get the same quantity is bounded.

can someone please tel me where I have gone wrong with the above reasoning?

Attachments

• whatthehecke.png
    whatthehecke.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 751
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
##q=e^{2\pi i n (u+iv)} \approx e^{-v} ## for large v, and exponential dominates over ##v ^ {x}## ( v>0 as on upper plane )

edited apologies latex error

Related to Hecke Bound for Cusp - Modular Forms

1. What is the Hecke bound for cusp-modular forms?

The Hecke bound for cusp-modular forms is a mathematical concept that relates to the growth rate of certain types of functions called modular forms. It provides an upper limit for the coefficients of these forms, which can be used to classify and study these functions.

2. How is the Hecke bound calculated?

The Hecke bound is calculated using a formula that involves the level, weight, and character of the modular form. This formula was first discovered by mathematician Erich Hecke, hence the name "Hecke bound". The exact calculation can be quite complex, but there are computer algorithms that can efficiently compute the bound for specific cases.

3. What is the significance of the Hecke bound for cusp-modular forms?

The Hecke bound has several important implications in mathematics. It can be used to prove the existence of certain types of modular forms, as well as to study their properties and behavior. It also has applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and other areas of mathematics.

4. Can the Hecke bound be improved?

Yes, the Hecke bound can be improved in certain cases. For example, there are known upper bounds for the Hecke bound in specific families of modular forms, such as those with small weight or small level. However, in general, the Hecke bound is believed to be the best possible bound for cusp-modular forms.

5. How does the Hecke bound relate to other concepts in mathematics?

The Hecke bound is closely related to other important concepts in mathematics, such as the Ramanujan-Petersson conjecture, the Langlands program, and the generalized Riemann hypothesis. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, including algebraic number theory, representation theory, and automorphic forms.